Working in Australia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Barks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was hoping someone might be able to give me a little advice. I'm going to be going down to Oz in January and I'll be taking the MBBS program at the University of Wollongong. I understand that my visa allows me to work 20 hours per week.

Now, that being said, I can't imagine I will have the time to work that much while going to med school but if I could swing 5-10 hours, that would be helpful I think.

So, my question is, I've heard it's possible for medical students to get jobs with the hospitals in the areas they are studying. Is this true? The way I see it, if I could get a job at a hospital, even if it's doing something with records rather than patients, not only would that help finance my studies but would also be valuable experience.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments?

Cheers,

- Barks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it's certainly a possibility. Hospitals have various part-time jobs and they'd love to have a med student to do them, since we tend to be a bit more reliable, motivated, and knowledgeable than some random person off the street. You don't have to go to the records department... you should talk to people in the electrophysiology lab, the outpatient clinics that need a phlebotomist, etc.

That's fantastic :) I was hoping I might be able to do something like that. Thanks shan564!

No problem.

By the way, I'm referring to my own experience, which happens to be at big hospitals in urban Sydney. I'm not sure if things are different in Wollongong.