Working in hospital pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danyoung2003200

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been working in a hopsital pharmacy for the past 5 months and I must say that I love it. I am now sure that this is something that I want to do. I was just wondering who else here works in a hospital pharmacy and what your duties included, just to see how different hospitals work. I was also wondering what you all have to wear to work.

Members don't see this ad.

danyoung2003200 said:
I have been working in a hopsital pharmacy for the past 5 months and I must say that I love it. I am now sure that this is something that I want to do. I was just wondering who else here works in a hospital pharmacy and what your duties included, just to see how different hospitals work. I was also wondering what you all have to wear to work.

I work at a pedi hospital. I usually make the chemotherapy during the week, and I work ICU on Saturdays, covering the whole hospital alone with one pharmacist from 6:30pm-9pm. It can be intense, but I love it.

Typically, I'll wear scrubs, but today I decided to wear "normal" clothes (slacks, nice shirt, etc). Generally, anything is fine as long as it isn't revealing, open-toe shoes, T-shirts with logos on it, or blue jeans.

FutureRxGal,

I would love to hear more about your experiences in oncology pharmacy. Is the pharamcist you work with a clinical pharmacist? (did you go through residency and what not?) Does she just work in the pharmacy or does she also see patients and monitor drug therapy? That aspect of pharmacy seems very appealing to me.

I look forward to your response!

Members don't see this ad :)
danyoung2003200 said:

Hi! I love my hospital tech job too! I pickup, fill, and deliver orders to the entire hospital on weekdays and then do the IVs as well on the weekends. I am the only tech for about 4 hours on the weekend shift...it's busy...but fun!
Our dress code sounds similar to that of FutureRxGal, but I always wear scrubs. My schedule is great...part time..I average about 25 hours a week(50 hours total)..but I work 7 days on...then get seven off, Thurs-Wed. It's hard to get study time on the week on, so I have to play catch-up on the week off.

Anne

DrPharm said:
FutureRxGal,

I would love to hear more about your experiences in oncology pharmacy. Is the pharamcist you work with a clinical pharmacist? (did you go through residency and what not?) Does she just work in the pharmacy or does she also see patients and monitor drug therapy? That aspect of pharmacy seems very appealing to me.

I look forward to your response!

My training in chemo was through my current employer. At the last hospital in which I worked, the pharmacists made the chemo. I go to school two days out of the week, so another co-worker and I alternate making chemo; otherwise, I'd more than likely work 4 10-hour weekdays and have 3-day weekends. :thumbup:

Our pharmacy is decentralized, and so many of the pharmacists have "homes" at the hospital. The majority of them normally work in the same satellites all of the time. So, I generally work with the same staff pharmacists in the chemo satellite who aren't clinical. One of the staff pharmacists with whom I work is board-certified in oncology. We do have one clinical oncology pharmacist, and she works with the oncologists closely to monitor patient meds and such. I know that she is able to write orders, but I'm not sure in what respect. I doubt that it's the same as an oncologist, though. I could be wrong; it's something that I'd like to explore further myself. Hope this helps. :)

FutureRxGal said:
I work at a pedi hospital. I usually make the chemotherapy during the week, and I work ICU on Saturdays, covering the whole hospital alone with one pharmacist from 6:30pm-9pm. It can be intense, but I love it.

Typically, I'll wear scrubs, but today I decided to wear "normal" clothes (slacks, nice shirt, etc). Generally, anything is fine as long as it isn't revealing, open-toe shoes, T-shirts with logos on it, or blue jeans.
Pedi=Pediphile? :scared: