Working out, let's talk about exercise...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Contach

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the word on workouts... what kind of exercises do you like the most, see the most results in?
What kind of program have you designed/do you follow?

I don't want to hear about no catabolism-inducing, muscle-wasting, atrophy-initiating long-distance running. Let's talk about the real stuff: hard iron to gain mass...

long live arnold

Members don't see this ad.

What's the word on workouts... what kind of exercises do you like the most, see the most results in?

I don't want to hear about no catabolism-inducing, muscle-wasting, atrophy-initiating long-distance running. Let's talk about the real stuff: hard iron to gain mass...

long live arnold

Um, while I study, I like to put on one of those belts that run electricity thru your body and make your abs contract. Oh yea baby, a 6pac while I do some dental anatomy!

long live arnold

I feel ya on the hardcore mass gaining strategy but to be honest after getting into dental school I have scaled back on the heavy weights and upped the reps. I don't wanna risk hurting my back or shoulders which can have huuuuuuuge consequences on my ability to practice as a dentist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Um, while I study, I like to put on one of those belts that run electricity thru your body and make your abs contract. Oh yea baby, a 6pac while I do some dental anatomy!

I hope you are studying hard in rehab science. You'll need that knowledge for where you may end up...

paging my dude achilles2 aka dvv.

drop some knowledge :eek:

I feel ya on the hardcore mass gaining strategy but to be honest after getting into dental school I have scaled back on the heavy weights and upped the reps. I don't wanna risk hurting my back or shoulders which can have huuuuuuuge consequences on my ability to practice as a dentist.

holdddddd upppppp.......

If you want to create a strong back and shoulders, shouldn't you be lifting heavy weights. This will improve muscle tone and strength and allow you to work longer without feeling muscle strain. If you workout consistently, with proper form, you can achieve this. Wouldn't it make sense that by stopping your workout regime, you are doing yourself a disservice in exposing yourself to chronic back and shoulder pain??

My sister used to have back pain, and her physiotherapist started telling her to do deadlifts and hyperextensions to work on lower lumbar support muscles. It helps chronically. If you do these exercises with proper form, you shouldnt have to worry about injuring your back acutely..

Anyways, what kind of lifts were you doing? what was the weightage?

Eh, I was never a real fan of heavy lifting. Never got the best results from them. I got more lean muscle mass from low resistance training, but I'd do it forever...and I mean forever. Instead of lifting 2 some hundred pounds 12 times, I'd lift 100 40-50 times. Until muscle paralysis. Then I'd decrease the weight to 70 and do it until paralysis. Then down some more. That way, you look built without looking like a body builder, and the mass doesn't go away as quickly.

I still like to do extensive cardio, because it's good for your immune system (while lifting kills it over time), but I take a protein bar before. One good exercise for the back is to swim with hand paddles. It's like low resistance lifting, but it strengthens your entire upper and lower back if you use the right swimming mechanics...barrel roll, with some side to side bending as you reach forward really far.

Eh, I was never a real fan of heavy lifting. Never got the best results from them. I got more lean muscle mass from low resistance training, but I'd do it forever...and I mean forever. Instead of lifting 2 some hundred pounds 12 times, I'd lift 100 40-50 times. Until muscle paralysis. Then I'd decrease the weight to 70 and do it until paralysis. Then down some more. That way, you look built without looking like a body builder, and the mass doesn't go away as quickly.

I still like to do extensive cardio, because it's good for your immune system (while lifting kills it over time), but I take a protein bar before. One good exercise for the back is to swim with hand paddles. It's like low resistance lifting, but it strengthens your entire upper and lower back if you use the right swimming mechanics...barrel roll, with some side to side bending as you reach forward really far.
Damn...Contach is about to flame you so hard using that bodybuilding x t-nation collaborated knowledge.:thumbup: My dude is probably typing so hard right now. :laugh:

Damn...Contach is about to flame you so hard using that bodybuilding x t-nation collaborated knowledge.:thumbup: My dude is probably typing so hard right now. :laugh:

It goes against everything Men's Health says, but I got better results from this than heavy lifting. Doubled my chest size in about 2 months doing this. Heavy lifting for 2 years did less.

btw, don't come to UCSF if you want a good gym. The university weight room sux. All commercial gyms sux except the ones that are $300/month at Equinox. Mark Wahlberg works out there so I hear.

Last edited:

Now that is a meathead website.

Compound exercises + sufficient caloric intake - refined/simple sugars

= muscle hypertrophy without insane fat gain

Regards,
Ronnie Coleman: 5'11'' 292 and approx 4% BF. Sick

PS. Really focus on deadlifting, push presses, and squats.

GBJs

Now that is a meathead website.

Compound exercises + sufficient caloric intake - refined/simple sugars

= muscle hypertrophy without insane fat gain

Regards,
Ronnie Coleman: 5'11'' 292 and approx 4% BF. Sick

PS. Really focus on deadlifting, push presses, and squats.

GBJs

What about simple sugars after you work out to trigger an insulin spike? What about animal pak? lol

This thread totally reminds me of T-nation....haha.

What about simple sugars after you work out to trigger an insulin spike? What about animal pak? lol

This thread totally reminds me of T-nation....haha.

Well said Quattro. Liquid protein replacement + high glycemic index food ('nana) after workout results in the best nutrition for distressed muscles.

I love Animal Pak ads (and others) because they are so ridiculous. I am not commenting on the quality of the supplement but rather the suggestion that if you take "X" supplement; you could look like a professional bodybuilder who is otherwise chemically enhanced, at their competition weight, greased up, pumped, dehydrated, and tanned (not to mention years of work and genetics that promote muscle development).

Regards,
GoBlueJays

Workout 5 days a week, doing 10,8,6,4 reps on each excersize adding 5 lbs each time.

Redbull 30 minutes prior, Xtend during, Protein whey after. I only look forward to working out now that I graduated and before D school

Members don't see this ad :)
I used to lift pretty hardcore and consistent.

I would go 4 days a week.
back/bi/legs one day and the next day chest/shoulder/tris

Heavy weight though, about 8 reps.

I got pretty bulky and after a while, I just wasn't as excited to go to the gym anymore so I stopped. I found a new hobbie though, muay thai!!! That is a great workout and you learn how to use your body as a dangerous weapon.

Maybe when summer gets closer, I'll get back to the gym,

Right now im still lifting somewhat consistently 3 or 4 times a week, this is after graduating and waiting for the upcoming cycle ;[. I do chest one day, deadlift another day, then shoulders, then squats. I do cardio intermittently in between those days. It's goin AIIIIGHT :)

Right now im still lifting somewhat consistently 3 or 4 times a week, this is after graduating and waiting for the upcoming cycle ;[. I do chest one day, deadlift another day, then shoulders, then squats. I do cardio intermittently in between those days. It's goin AIIIIGHT :)

4 days a week for about hour n half...
day 1 heavy traps, light bis, abs/obliques
day 2 heavy chest, heavy tris/bis, abs
day off.
day 3 heavy back, heavy shoulders, light bis, abs/obliques
day 4 light chest, light tris/bis, abs

things missing: legs/cardio(walking around campus was my cardio lol). now that schools over, time to work on that some more n get that nice body before dschool ruins it muahaha :cry:
protein: ON 100% Whey and ON Pro Complex
things to do at home: sets of narrow, reg, wide push ups, pull up bar (iron gym ftw! lol) and crunches/sit ups every other day or so

btw: my roomie has that p90x thing...they got some pretty good workouts in there! hardcore burn out work outs.

long live arnold

Your stats? 6'1 195 7% :)

Tried and tested for years, this works:

My split is 5 days/wk separating the major groups: chest, back, shoulders, traps, bis, tris, quads, hammys, calves. Don't forget 15 minutes of abs 3 days/wk into your routine before lifting. Technique is the most important concept too. I see clowns all the time flailing around doing their reps because they think its cool to hold a bigger weight. Not a contest. Don't slouch, keep your body still, and don't lock out or over-extend your joints while you rep. Keep range of motion at 90% so you're always giving your muscles tension and a pump.

Take 3-4 glucose tabs right after lifting + 60g whey within 20 minutes. Shoot 3g liquid L-Carnitine after your big meals to metabolize fat intake.

Lifting big iron doesn't mean jack if you don't have a proper diet, aka 500-1000 calorie surplus to gain and 500 calorie deficit to lose.

Now as far as the best exercises go, make this website your bible:
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

This post was pretty meat of me, but saw the title and couldn't resist.

Last edited:
"Shoot 3g liquid L-Carnitine after your big meals to metabolize fat intake"

From experience? Im just under 6 @ 180 around 10 BF%. Looking to get to 7 or so, has it helped you ?

Been using it for about a year and it's helped me break into the single digit % so I'd suggest it. Go to Vitamin Shoppe they personally make a 16oz bottle. Take a 2-3 tablespoon chug after a big meal or before a high intensity workout. Glutamine gets all the amino acid hype but it's this stuff thats the real deal in my opinion.

This post was pretty meat of me, but saw the title and couldn't resist.

As a meat-bag myself, I appreciate the input.

Regards,

GoBlueJays (5'9'' 197lbs 8%)

:thumbup:

And good numbers.

Thanks. Have you ever kicked around with BCAA's? I have been using them for awhile and think they have resulted in additional gains (key word=think. I have not run a reliable study).

Regards,

GoBlueJays

PS. Enso, you meat flap, are you going to Nova?

GBJs

Thanks. Have you ever kicked around with BCAA's? I have been using them for awhile and think they have resulted in additional gains (key word=think. I have not run a reliable study).

Regards,

GoBlueJays

GBJs

So a search in the medical journals sometime. The supplements cite research as a means to boost sales. However, most the supplements out there don't work like they claim, but the claims are worded in such a way that it's misleading.

Like, muscle milk advertises how this one type of fatty acid decreases your overall body fat (or something like that). I looked up the research it cites, and the article said something like it would have to compose 80-90% of your dietary intake to get a 5% more fat reduction. Something insane like that. At the doses you take within a supplement, the effect is zero. (This point the article made clear).

So a search in the medical journals sometime.

Is that where that information is? Thanks.

No question supplements are marketed hard and many have no value.

Regards,

GoBlueJays

Regards,

GoBlueJays

GBJs

I've played around with BCAA products with good results just not sold on buying them separately. It's almost unnecessary at this point because of how far whey proteins have evolved by adding good ratios of BCAA's.

Carnitine + Glutamine would theoretically be a better amino cocktail for post w/o... bigger boost for cell swelling, protein synthesis, and metabolizing fat. Take any other supps?

Cheers meat.

You going to Nova? I've got a little ways to go. A lot of my boys live around Las Olas though and I'm about 2 hours from Ft Laud. Applying there late this cycle or next May.

Can anyone help me on a routine to help get some of my speed explosion back in my legs. I had reconstructive surgery for a torn ACL (left), and about half way through the rehab process I strained my right quad or at least that's what I think it is. My health insurance ran out so I don't know. I still remember most the exercises my physical therapist had me do, but the strain causes me to rehab only for a few weeks at a time. I don't want to completely shut it down because then my knee becomes so weak... maybe I should just get health insurance :confused:

I learned, that......just go into gym and pick stuff up eventually something will happen if you're consistent. Oh yea, and if it hurts stop lifting on it, pushing through the pain is quite silly.

looks like there are alot of jacked predents in the single digits for bodyfat

you kids don't need my help :cool:

I lift 5 days/week, I try to do something different each day, even if the variation is slight. I just take basic protein (muscle milk or Costco's stuff), I can't justify forking over hundreds of dollars for supplements for tiny gains. I eat well, 2 days a week I do stadiums/windsprints, then 2-3 days a week I do BJJ/MMA. I'm 6'1, 190lbs, 6.5% body fat, natural ecto-mesomorph, probably slightly more ecto.

Last edited:
I thought i was the only future dentist into bodybuilding! Working out is great especially for us pre-dental and dental students (keeps stress levels down and our backs strong). Check out my bodybuilding website let me know what you think! www.marcthemyth.com

I thought i was the only future dentist into bodybuilding! Working out is great especially for us pre-dental and dental students (keeps stress levels down and our backs strong). Check out my bodybuilding website let me know what you think! www.marcthemyth.com

I'm suddenly not so proud of my bodyspace page...haha

Great job Marcus! It takes great discipline to get to where you are. I could never do that, our food here in Hawaii is too good ;)

Looking lean nice work! I read up your nutrition blog did you add anything condiment-wise to your chicken and veggies? I've been doing a similar routine just using a low-carb ketchup/mustard for taste.

thats awesome man, the hair tho? not so much haha

what kind of cardio do you do? HIIT?

Haha ya it takes a lot of work especially during school, but it also give you structure and helps you stay organized.

I used condiments sparsely, when I am about 3 to 4 weeks out of competition i don't use anything but maybe hot sauce or lemon.

Haha the hair is just for the pictures... I switch up my cardio a lot HIIT one day and maybe just incline walking the next, depends how your feeling I think.

How do you guys feel about circuit training? From what I've read, it's a good strategy for ppl that are looking to get cut. I also heard that working out legs helps increase one's overall metabolism.

This thread is terrible...I want to hear three numbers for: squat, deadlift and bench.
And I don't want to hear anything other touching chest on bench and nothing more than an ATG squat.

Contach is the man...

I was told by a physical therapist that for dentistry you don't want to strengthen anterior neck flexor muscles (like the sternocleidomastoid) or the upper trapezius. You want to strengthen the lower trapezius.

6'00''-165-~8%BF and and only do Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. I throw around the bigger guys who show up to class and think that because they bench 350 that they are going to somehow woop my *****. Its funny. I recommend jiu-jitsu for everyone.

6'4'' - 215 - 8.5% (got measured with a DEXA 2 days ago :cool:)

workout when i can. play tennis ~20 hrs week, vball (indoor and beach) ~12 hrs week, and HIIT/plyo/agility drills.

but i was a gymnast for quite some time so most of my "exercise" is geared towards full body movements, not just up/down or flex/extend like your bench press or pull ups or curls tend to be.

here is the best workout in history.

1. pick up heavy dumbbell in each hand. (at least 25% of your bodyweight combined weight)
2. Find a flight of stairs, say 10-20 steps.
3. now walk up stairs while holding dumbbells two steps at a time. when you reach top of stairs, walk back down normally, and repeat.

do this until you are breathing so heavy you think you're gonna pass out (will happen in matter of minutes..or seconds if you are really out of shape) :D

Um...you're hawt :) Where are you going to dental school? ;)