working out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stwei

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a trivial question, but how much do you guys work out each week to keep up a 5hr/night sleep schedule?

Members don't see this ad.

stwei said:
I know this is a trivial question, but how much do you guys work out each week to keep up a 5hr/night sleep schedule?
You only sleep 5hr/week???? :eek:

You work out???? :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I usually get in 5 days a week. There are some weeks where I'll hit it for 6 or 7, and there have been some times on surgery where I've had as few as 3. Your first two years allows you plenty of time to hammer both beers, and curls. Clinicals can allow for it too, but you just have to be a little more rigid with scheduling.

you have a schedule? :eek:

Do those of you who focused on mass/strength prior to med school find that you shifted to endurance/tone workouts, or are you eating and sleeping enough to maintian a good muscle-building regimen? Also, do you usually have to choose between weights and cardio on a given day, or can you usually squeeze in both?

I have a large penis :eek:

stwei said:

Hey stwei, I actually had more time for working out during MSI than I did in undergrad. and got about 7-8hrs sleep/night. I am a LOT more efficient now in MS than I was back then. The time that I appropriate for studing, I study, I don't BS. Usually when one sticks to a schedule (mine is rigid), it is possible to fit other things in. People who study all the time, or say that they do, are studing wrong and not being productive. Don't listen to them, get a tight schedule, stick to it and you'll be fine.

5 hrs of sleep? man I'd try to get alteast 7 per night cuz its hard to grow or get ripped on just 5. I work out 4 days aweek. During ms1 i was lifitng 4 days a week, adn do cardio 6 days a week, but that was too much, Now im gonna lift and do cardio right after so 4 times a week for ms2, i hope.

WyldeWolf1 said:
Do those of you who focused on mass/strength prior to med school find that you shifted to endurance/tone workouts, or are you eating and sleeping enough to maintian a good muscle-building regimen? Also, do you usually have to choose between weights and cardio on a given day, or can you usually squeeze in both?

During the first two years, you definitely can work on building muscle. I was able to carry more muscle mass than I had at any point before during the basic science years. I think I already posted this elsewhere, but morning cardio with some class notes is a great way to multi-task. I used to go use a cardio machine for about an hour before class in the AM while reading notes. Then I would come back in the afternoon after class to lift.

Third year, all bets are off. My goal during third year was just to do my best to maintain and slow the inevitable decline :laugh:

Now that I'm a fourth year, I'm looking forward to really putting some time in the gym again.

i managed to work out 5 days a week my first year. however, i rarely got to spend as much time as i liked. i am someone who can spend all day in the gym if i have nothing else to do, but i to shorten up my routine a little, and ended up usually only allowing myself an hour and half. if you build it into your day and stick to a schedule, its not that hard to find time to workout. and i can tell you right now, if i didn't, i would have gone completely insane.

I think working out is a great way to release some stress. I get into the gym about 4 times a week and spend an average of 1-2hrs.

I sleep 8-9 hours per night and do the body-for-life program combined with occasional yoga for exercise. I don't let anything get in between me and getting enough rest. :laugh: