Working simultaneously in a hospital and in retail

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by eleanor_rigby, Mar 25, 2007.

1. eleanor_rigby

eleanor_rigby Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I don't want to limit myself by just jumping head first into retail pharmacy right after I get my Pharm.D and have difficulty finding a different position. Would it be difficult to secure a part-time position at a hospital and a part-time position in retail after graduation? Would there be any conflicts with overlapping shifts if I'm called in to work overtime? Would it be difficult to juggle the different work environments?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It can be done. You just tell both employers when you are available and stick to it.

Just make sure to get benefits at one of the places.

I suggest working whatever hours you need to get the benefits and schedule from there. Might be a good idea if you just want to show up and have no other stresses.

4. dgroulx

dgroulx Night Pharmacist
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm working retail, but without a long-term committment. I'm hoping to find a hospital PRN position.

5. sdn1977

sdn1977 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

There's another thread on this same topic about 10 ones down on your screen - but in case this is a bit of a different "twist" -

Yes, you can, but you need to make clear to each employer who your "first" employer is or the one who has first rights to you. Otherwise, you'll run the risk of getting both employers ticked off when they need you - ie July 4th holiday + the surrounding weekend, Thanksgiving weekend, etc...

Someone has to be the dominant employer or you have to make clear you are only "casual" - not part-time. That type of employment might suit you better if you work for a registry for a bit. They can put you in both locations when you want.

If you do accept benefits from one employer, you must consider they are your primary place of employment.

Remember - no matter where you work - you want to leave with a good reference.