Working Students/ NP questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunshine12722

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of good paying jobs will help me get through nursing school, when most classes are held during the day?

Also, to any NP's out there...do you see any expansion in the roles of NP's? What kind of departments to NP's work at in hospitals? Anything surgical?

Members don't see this ad.

S-,

As to your question about good paying jobs while in nursing school, most nursing student work as student nurse associates at a particular hospital in the field that he/she is interested.

also, some hospitals offer scholarships that will repay your schooling in exchnage for working there after you graduate.

In terms of NP, they pretty much can work in any area that you want. For instnace, where I work we have a NP solely devoted for the SICU , 1 for the BICU, and so forth. T

I am hearing more and more of hospitals hiring NP/PA to help with workload on specific services, such as sugery. They are doing this largely because the residency review committees are starting to crack down on the hours resident put in. However, the patiens still need to be taken care of. Some hospitals are filling the gaps by having NP/PA do some of the work. It's not huge yet, but may be a trend worth watching.

Bascially, however, any physican can hire a NP if s/he is willing to comply with whatever that state's supervision laws are.