Working to Save $ to apply to Med school - deadline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Frosty808

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Background:

Hi all,

I'm going to be starting a new job (turning 30 this year) in a clinic-setting and I anticipate making at least a 2 year commitment. For now, I want this to be the last GAP YEAR JOB before I apply since all previous jobs either were only contract positions (leaving me to scramble for a new job before I finish my contract) or the salary just wasn't paid high enough (leaving me to work a 2nd job since the low salaries combined still left me forcing me to live paycheck to paycheck).

At first I was going to tell my physician-employer about medical school. However, with advice from a few people, it makes no sense to "count my chickens before they hatch." So I decided I am not going to tell my new employer (ironically a physician who I would love to shadow because his specialty is exactly what I want to be when I become a physician) about my intentions for medical school because:

1) I haven't taken MCAT yet anyway, may need to retake if not a good score
2) haven't found a physician to shadow for a longer commitment than one-day
3) my prereqs are mediocre anyway and have been more than ten years so I may need to retake
4) am in a financial-rut since I was laid off twice in the pat 5 years and have been dipping into my savings to stay afloat


Overall, these reasons seem to justify my decision to not have to tell my employer because I still need a few years of work in order for me to present my best-self.
----------------------------------------

Questions
1) I want to know many people have taken on a job, knowing it was just a gap year job and did you make a deadline of when to apply?

It's 2018 and I plan to apply in 2019 (will start fall of 2020) assuming my MCAT score in May will be at least 509 or so (sidenote: MCAT score is good for 3 years so I am willing to push to 2020).

2) If you have worked under a physician, did you ask for letter of rec? Unsure if I feel comfortable (later down the road) to ask for LOR knowing that this physician wants me to work for him long term. I figure, I can always assess for his personality and from there have a conversation how working with him and the company has made me realize I want to be more than a lab technician and pursue my ambitions for medical school.