Working Two Jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R Sterling

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am currently looking into my job options as I'm on my way out of residency, and I wanted to know if anyone out there worked 2 jobs right out of residency. I do want to work in urgent care, which will require at least 3-4 days a week. Does any one have any ideas about where can I work 2-3 days a week to fill in the rest of my week? What sort of freelancing jobs are flexible enough to do so?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I did not take 2 jobs like that. Depending on the medical system you are getting hired into for your urgent care work, they may have other jobs available to fill your time. I know my group has some "float" physicians that fill in at clinics where docs are out on maternity / extended illness / etc. If you try to get another job in the same town, you may find that you come up against non-compete clauses (getting more common). I know that I have seen job postings / had recruiters talk to me to see if I could work several days / week or 1-2 weekends per month @ clinics further rural from me. These would all have required 1-2 hours minimum of driving each way but they paid pretty well.

Hi!

I am currently looking into my job options as I'm on my way out of residency, and I wanted to know if anyone out there worked 2 jobs right out of residency. I do want to work in urgent care, which will require at least 3-4 days a week. Does any one have any ideas about where can I work 2-3 days a week to fill in the rest of my week? What sort of freelancing jobs are flexible enough to do so?

Thanks!
You need to get on board with 1-2 locums companies so they can help you fill the gaps. Pretty hard to find multiple part time urgent care positions in the same town. I tried many times and ending up sitting home not making any money. Urgent care jobs fill very quickly as they are shift work with lots of flexibility. Your urgent care won't give you more hours? Or will they schedule you for 2 weeks straight and then you can go work locums somewhere else for the other 2 weeks? Lots of times there are hospitalist jobs that are one week on, one week off - thought about that? See my post on how to do locums.

My next assignment I"m actually doing 2 jobs 125 miles apart. One is fast track ER and the other is urgent care. Between the two, I have the whole month filled.