Working while attending school and more

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nquinn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So,

I'm currently working for the patent office, with a chance to goto law school for free. The problem is.... it's the most f*cking boring thing in the world, and I don't think I want to do it anymore.

I'm liking optometry compared to all the other medical fields, but I have the following concerns:

(1) What is the total time involved before you make money? About 5 years?
(2) While attending school, how do people survive? Are there any good-paying internships/part-time jobs available for optometry students?

I'm 25, and, overall, the thought of going into about 150,000 worth of debt, and not having any money until i'm almost 32 really scares me.

What do you guys know about grinding through this?

Members don't see this ad.

hi there, i don't think there is much you can do in the way of working while a student other than maybe a part-time job. For some schools (PCO) the last year and a half is only externships (so it might be easier to work part-time then). I'm 26 and i'm applying for next fall, so i'm in a similar position with you regarding age and it worries me too about the lost income. is there an optometry state school in your state? that will cut down considerably on your debt. Also some schools will let you apply for in-state tuition after the first year (SUNY).
Good luck :)

So you have 150k worth of debt, don't pay it off immediately. What if you suddenly get hit by a car and you spent the last 5 years of your life paying off debt while eating ramen noddles for lunch. :smuggrin: