Working While In Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FriedLemon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am more than likely not going to do it but I was curious to know how unreasonable it would be given my personal circumstances. I have worked for the past two years in the field of mental health. I have worked basically a similar position at my last two jobs where I actually had 7 hours of free time on an 8 hour shift. In essence, I would work for an hour or so on any shift. This is because my shifts were all 4pm-12am or, more commonly, 12am-8am where I could do whatever I wanted. That is how I am able to study for the MCAT and for my summer courses that I am taking. I worked with clients who have mental disabilities or are in drug addiction treatment so they are asleep for almost my entire shift and they just wake up in time for me to give them their medications. At my last job, I was even allowed to sleep during the 12am-8am shift until it was time for the client to get up! Again, this is more hypothetical because I am most likely not going to do it. But how unreasonable would it be to continue this while in med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Would probably not fly. Many med schools won’t even allow you to be employed without pre approval as well.

Many med schools have other requirements of you outside of studying and taking tests. You might have labs in the afternoon, group based learning, standardized patients, volunteer requirements, etc. I’d estimate you might have time to work 2 or 3 days a week for a couple hours at most.

So, I am more than likely not going to do it but I was curious to know how unreasonable it would be given my personal circumstances. I have worked for the past two years in the field of mental health. I have worked basically a similar position at my last two jobs where I actually had 7 hours of free time on an 8 hour shift. In essence, I would work for an hour or so on any shift. This is because my shifts were all 4pm-12am or, more commonly, 12am-8am where I could do whatever I wanted. That is how I am able to study for the MCAT and for my summer courses that I am taking. I worked with clients who have mental disabilities or are in drug addiction treatment so they are asleep for almost my entire shift and they just wake up in time for me to give them their medications. At my last job, I was even allowed to sleep during the 12am-8am shift until it was time for the client to get up! Again, this is more hypothetical because I am most likely not going to do it. But how unreasonable would it be to continue this while in med school?
Would you only apply to med schools that don't have a policy against employment during their academic term? That said, I worked during med school some evenings and nights, which varied from constant activity to some decent naps, which means one couldn't always rely on a work shift to provide study or sleep time. From what you describe, it could be doable.