Working While In Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pineapplehead

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
Please forgive me if someone has asked this question before, but does anyone have plans to work part time while in Med School? My husband and I are both probably going to be in school when I start Med School and we were thinking about getting part time jobs. If you've worked while in Med School, did it work out for you? Why/ why not? I've heard that it can be hard to keep up your grades, but I've also heard that people do it all the time. I'm confused. Any help would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I did about 10 hours a week for the first two years and it was fine. The job was related to academics however and just helped me study (I tutored). I don't think I would do over 20 hours though and you can forget about working your 3rd and 4th year. If you can swing it, I would just try to get by without a part time job unless it's very lucrative.

do a search on this topic. there are no fewer than 5 threads in all the forums within the last year. :)

Dr. Picotte,

I'm curious how much you studied each day during your first year in addition to the 10 hours tutoring. How many "learning hours" per week do you think you averaged?