Working while in pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chonps

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that it's very important to work while in pharmacy school, however does the type of work matter? At this moment I do not have a job. I do volunteer as a pharmacy technician, but I've been told that having a job is more important. So, I am wondering if I should apply exclusively for pharmacy technician jobs or if any job will look good? Please advise. Thank you.

Btw I saw that there were previous threads on similar matters but they are from long ago so I thought I would ask again. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Please, any advice would do. Thanks!

I've heard that it's very important to work while in pharmacy school, however does the type of work matter? At this moment I do not have a job. I do volunteer as a pharmacy technician, but I've been told that having a job is more important. So, I am wondering if I should apply exclusively for pharmacy technician jobs or if any job will look good? Please advise. Thank you.

Btw I saw that there were previous threads on similar matters but they are from long ago so I thought I would ask again. Thanks!

You need to check the laws in your state. You said that you are applying for tech jobs, but in some states pharmacy students cannot work as techs.

That being said, having a pharmacy intern position job is valuable for many reasons. Most importantly, it lets you develop contacts and network, which can be invaluable when you are finished with school. It also gets you some experience in the field that you are entering, which, in a way, validates you as a professional. There are other reasons.

I wouldn't seek another type of employment unless necessary if that's what you are asking.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to check the laws in your state. You said that you are applying for tech jobs, but in some states pharmacy students cannot work as techs.

That being said, having a pharmacy intern position job is valuable for many reasons. Most importantly, it lets you develop contacts and network, which can be invaluable when you are finished with school. It also gets you some experience in the field that you are entering, which, in a way, validates you as a professional. There are other reasons.

I wouldn't seek another type of employment unless necessary if that's what you are asking.

Yes, you answered my question. Thanks for the advice!

I have never heard of this. You mean students cannot be techs? What kind of law is that? I think I must be misunderstanding what you are saying.

I agree with everything else in the post.

I have never heard of this. You mean students cannot be techs? What kind of law is that? I think I must be misunderstanding what you are saying.

I agree with everything else in the post.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I don't think you want to be a technician while in pharmacy school. It's not a good use of your time when you can get the additional training/skills as an intern. And I certainly don't see the point of doing anything not related to pharmacy while you're in pharmacy school. (That said, volunteering and getting paid to be a subject for clinical trials if you're eligible and have the time is a great way to make some extra cash...).

I don't know if it's true or not, but I don't think you want to be a technician while in pharmacy school. It's not a good use of your time when you can get the additional training/skills as an intern. And I certainly don't see the point of doing anything not related to pharmacy while you're in pharmacy school. (That said, volunteering and getting paid to be a subject for clinical trials if you're eligible and have the time is a great way to make some extra cash...).

Ok, thank you. I'll look into internships as well. I plan send out as many apps as possible over break so this is really helpful to know! Thanks!

If you can work as an intern, then of course you'd want to do that instead working as a tech. In some states like Texas, though, you can't be an intern P1 year, so if you're going to work in a pharmacy, it has to be as a technician.

I like your post, but I just wanted to add that it probably is not very productive to get too hung up on job title. I would say that most any pharmacy student is going to be treated like in intern regardless of whether they are called intern or tech, so I would guess that the learning experience is probably going to be similar regardless. Also tech=better than nothing. Of course internship>tech, I am not disputing that, so if you can get an internship go for it.

Of course if you have to get so many intern hours or something along those lines you will need to go that route. I am only saying that from the learning side of things your job title probably won't matter much, and tech is better than nothing.

I know here in Georgia it's important to work because we are responsible for obtaining 500 intern hours on our own. In other states like Florida all of the hours are supplied by the school curriculum, but there are advantages and disadvantages to this. The advantage to getting them on your own is that they can be paid intern hours, and we can chose whatever site or pharmacy location we want.

Also, many people chose to work during the semester anyway regardless of hours because if you intend to work for a specific chain or want to have a job quickly after graduation then you are way more likely to get hired if you put in time during pharmacy school and have been with the company for years. You might have to look harder for a job if you have never worked before (or worked for the specific company you prefer).

Also, if you work in a state that requires you to get hours, it's a lot harder to apply for jobs if you only want to work in the summertime. The interns who already work there during the school year will be picking up more hours, and the pharmacy might even be a lot slower during the summer months, so they will usually not be hiring unless some interns live far away and leave for home.

It's good to have work experience, make connections, get to know preceptors and managers, so that later on when you're interviewing for pharmacist jobs, few of them will know you from work and/or rotations.

I like your post, but I just wanted to add that it probably is not very productive to get too hung up on job title. I would say that most any pharmacy student is going to be treated like in intern regardless of whether they are called intern or tech, so I would guess that the learning experience is probably going to be similar regardless. Also tech=better than nothing. Of course internship>tech, I am not disputing that, so if you can get an internship go for it.

Of course if you have to get so many intern hours or something along those lines you will need to go that route. I am only saying that from the learning side of things your job title probably won't matter much, and tech is better than nothing.

The title does matter legally. I basically am a tech at my internship, but because my license is an intern license, I can also do some counseling, take new prescriptions, and do transfers. But a large part of my job is typing, counting and pouring, and working the cash register. It's not a bad idea to do this sort of stuff while you're in school so you know how the process works. I know most if not all the techs are better at resolving insurance difficulties than the pharmacists... The techs know a lot, and when I started, they did a large part of training me. I still pick up tricks from them to make things go quicker.

The title does matter legally. I basically am a tech at my internship, but because my license is an intern license, I can also do some counseling, take new prescriptions, and do transfers. But a large part of my job is typing, counting and pouring, and working the cash register. It's not a bad idea to do this sort of stuff while you're in school so you know how the process works. I know most if not all the techs are better at resolving insurance difficulties than the pharmacists... The techs know a lot, and when I started, they did a large part of training me. I still pick up tricks from them to make things go quicker.

In what way? It is my understanding (varies by state? or correct me if I am wrong) that if you have an intern license you may function as an intern. It does not matter if your job title is tech, intern, or janitor. You have a license and may function in that capacity. Of course it would be up to the PIC whether or not to allow you to do so, but your title is just that - a title. I am not sure what you are getting at by "legally". Legally (based on your title) they must pay you minimum wage, etc. but there are no legal ramifications that I know of that say you may not function as an intern.

Another way to look at it is to think about it this way. You may volunteer your time and act as an intern. Or you can be paid to be an intern. Or you can be paid as a tech but still preform intern activities (PIC approved, of course).

EDIT: My first internship was very similar. The techs taught me a lot about how to do various tasks quickly, and I still have to ask them questions sometimes. For the most part, they really know their stuff and I enjoy learning the various tips and tricks from them. I also agree that it is a good idea to learn this stuff while in school.

Members don't see this ad :)

The companies that told us about their intern programs almost universally told us that students who had never been a tech before would likely spend a suitable amount of time learning to be a tech before getting into much "pharmacist" stuff. It makes sense since you're de-facto manager as soon as you walk into a given pharmacy for the day.

As far as doing mostly just tech work: at our pharmacy, the interns that were trusted were given a lot more leeway to counsel, take prescriptions over the phone (supervised), etc.

If an intern was terrible, they would be stuck filling.

If they sucked at filling, they would eventually stop having hours scheduled at our store.

The companies that told us about their intern programs almost universally told us that students who had never been a tech before would likely spend a suitable amount of time learning to be a tech before getting into much "pharmacist" stuff. It makes sense since you're de-facto manager as soon as you walk into a given pharmacy for the day.

Plus it really makes sense to learn the basics before you try to learn the higher-ordered tasks. I mean how can you take a prescription over the phone when you don't even know how to type a prescription? Walk before you run, right?

"sense since" - Haha! You crack me up.

If you work for the learning and not for the money, youll be fine.

Im interning at a hospital throughout school and also did (will hopefully do again) the CVS thing over the summer. Cant begin to explain how helpful it is.

If you work for the learning and not for the money, youll be fine.

Im interning at a hospital throughout school and also did (will hopefully do again) the CVS thing over the summer. Cant begin to explain how helpful it is.

Cool story. I guess we gators think alike, huh? I am doing the exact same thing (right down to it being with CVS!). I agree it is very helpful.

I know here in Georgia it's important to work because we are responsible for obtaining 500 intern hours on our own. In other states like Florida all of the hours are supplied by the school curriculum, but there are advantages and disadvantages to this. The advantage to getting them on your own is that they can be paid intern hours, and we can chose whatever site or pharmacy location we want.

Also, many people chose to work during the semester anyway regardless of hours because if you intend to work for a specific chain or want to have a job quickly after graduation then you are way more likely to get hired if you put in time during pharmacy school and have been with the company for years. You might have to look harder for a job if you have never worked before (or worked for the specific company you prefer).

Also, if you work in a state that requires you to get hours, it's a lot harder to apply for jobs if you only want to work in the summertime. The interns who already work there during the school year will be picking up more hours, and the pharmacy might even be a lot slower during the summer months, so they will usually not be hiring unless some interns live far away and leave for home.

SO TRUE!!! I wish I can find a place that will just hired me for 3 weeks in Dec and 3 months during the summer and that's it! I have no luck with that! :rolleyes:

SO TRUE!!! I wish I can find a place that will just hired me for 3 weeks in Dec and 3 months during the summer and that's it! I have no luck with that! :rolleyes:

Being flexible helps when you look for positions. If you would just work at least a little during the school year, you'll find something. And according to cheb, you have good looks, so that might help in some cases. I dunno if it would actually work thought :laugh:

Being flexible helps when you look for positions. If you would just work at least a little during the school year, you'll find something. And according to cheb, you have good looks, so that might help in some cases. I dunno if it would actually work thought :laugh:

I will apply online now for Target and Walgreen's summer internship program. I will try to be more "flexible". I really WANT a summer internship at a nuclear pharmacy though...I will give them a call tommorrow. Looks def help in getting certain jobs...the store manager at the Walgreen's I use to work at thought I was attractive. That might have helped in not firing me since I had a few customer complaints while I was working there...not sure though. LOL....

In what way? It is my understanding (varies by state? or correct me if I am wrong) that if you have an intern license you may function as an intern. It does not matter if your job title is tech, intern, or janitor. You have a license and may function in that capacity. Of course it would be up to the PIC whether or not to allow you to do so, but your title is just that - a title. I am not sure what you are getting at by "legally". Legally (based on your title) they must pay you minimum wage, etc. but there are no legal ramifications that I know of that say you may not function as an intern.

Another way to look at it is to think about it this way. You may volunteer your time and act as an intern. Or you can be paid to be an intern. Or you can be paid as a tech but still preform intern activities (PIC approved, of course).

EDIT: My first internship was very similar. The techs taught me a lot about how to do various tasks quickly, and I still have to ask them questions sometimes. For the most part, they really know their stuff and I enjoy learning the various tips and tricks from them. I also agree that it is a good idea to learn this stuff while in school.

I think you have to have the license that you're hired for. You can't really be hired and paid as a tech with an intern license, unless you also have a tech license. With multiple licenses, you can choose which you use, but you have to have the actual one you need for a particular job.

I think you have to have the license that you're hired for. You can't really be hired and paid as a tech with an intern license, unless you also have a tech license. With multiple licenses, you can choose which you use, but you have to have the actual one you need for a particular job.

This is where it gets tricky. Not every state requires that techs have a licence. Actually how many states DO require licenses for techs?

To me this is like saying you can't hire an intern to do a cashier's job. Of course you can. Now if techs are required to have a license I can see how that MAY be different. It still seems to me that an intern license would supersede the need for a tech license, but I am not familiar with any laws requiring tech licenses so I wouldn't know.

I will apply online now for Target and Walgreen's summer internship program. I will try to be more "flexible". I really WANT a summer internship at a nuclear pharmacy though...I will give them a call tommorrow. Looks def help in getting certain jobs...the store manager at the Walgreen's I use to work at thought I was attractive. That might have helped in not firing me since I had a few customer complaints while I was working there...not sure though. LOL....

You expect your looks to help you get a job/keep a job? I don't think looks had anything to do with jobs I've had so far.

So SHC, if you were a pharmacy manager and you were interviewing applicants, would you remember if they were attractive or unattractive when you were making your decision?

This is where it gets tricky. Not every state requires that techs have a licence. Actually how many states DO require licenses for techs?

To me this is like saying you can't hire an intern to do a cashier's job. Of course you can. Now if techs are required to have a license I can see how that MAY be different. It still seems to me that an intern license would supersede the need for a tech license, but I am not familiar with any laws requiring tech licenses so I wouldn't know.

Seriously?? That's scary. In WA, we have B techs, which are assistants, i.e. basically cashiers that can count and put away drugs, but not pull. They are registered with the board of pharmacy, but basically they just need to do 4 hours of HIV training, have a high school degree, and go through a background check. Then there's A techs, which are now required to go through a training program and the same stuff as assistants to get licensed by the board. They can pull drugs, type, but not do anything that requires analysis (so no phone transfers, counseling, etc.).

What state are you in? What do your techs have to do? I would imagine your techs have some sort of registration by the board of pharmacy, because otherwise, the board has no control over them.

Doesn't this come into play when you are about to go over the limit for the number of interns per pharmacist? If you have to function as a tech, then you'd need a tech license, in many situations. I think the tech license would have to be put up in the pharmacy where it would be visible, so you can say that you're a tech while functioning as a tech.

I remember one time where the pharmacist said I couldn't work a certain day unless I was going to function as a tech, because she already had one intern, and I didn't have a tech license, so I couldn't function as a tech, making be unable to work.

Seriously?? That's scary. In WA, we have B techs, which are assistants, i.e. basically cashiers that can count and put away drugs, but not pull. They are registered with the board of pharmacy, but basically they just need to do 4 hours of HIV training, have a high school degree, and go through a background check. Then there's A techs, which are now required to go through a training program and the same stuff as assistants to get licensed by the board. They can pull drugs, type, but not do anything that requires analysis (so no phone transfers, counseling, etc.).

What state are you in? What do your techs have to do? I would imagine your techs have some sort of registration by the board of pharmacy, because otherwise, the board has no control over them.

Florida. Only VERY recently (this year) did the board start requiring techs to be registered (not licenced) with the board. Before that anyone could be a tech. My understanding is that many states still operate this way, although I could be wrong.

I don't think I would care for a two-tier tech system. Seems unnecessary.

• Effective January 1, 2011, any person who wishes to work as a pharmacy technician in the State of Florida must register with the Board of Pharmacy. To register with the Board of Pharmacy, an applicant must submit the following items:
      1. Pharmacy Technician Registration Application
      2. $105.00 Fee ($50.00 non-refundable application fee, $50.00 registration fee, $5.00 unlicensed application fee)
      3. Proof of completion of a board-approved pharmacy technician-training program.

Florida. Only VERY recently (this year) did the board start requiring techs to be registered (not licenced) with the board. Before that anyone could be a tech. My understanding is that many states still operate this way, although I could be wrong.

I don't think I would care for a two-tier tech system. Seems unnecessary.

It's not bad, really. You know the techs have some training and are likely to pull the right drug, for instance, as they know the difference between metoprolol succinate and metoprolol tartrate. Meanwhile, the assistants are basically cashiers that have gone through a background check.

Basically, the system's set up so anyone working behind the counter is accountable to the board of pharmacy. Do you have cashiers working behind the counter that will not have a technician registration?

Doesn't this come into play when you are about to go over the limit for the number of interns per pharmacist? If you have to function as a tech, then you'd need a tech license, in many situations. I think the tech license would have to be put up in the pharmacy where it would be visible, so you can say that you're a tech while functioning as a tech.

I remember one time where the pharmacist said I couldn't work a certain day unless I was going to function as a tech, because she already had one intern, and I didn't have a tech license, so I couldn't function as a tech, making be unable to work.

I didn't know there was a 1:1 requirement for interns : pharmacists ratio. Interesting. So clearly you do need a tech license to work as a tech in states that require tech licenses even as an intern. Also interesting. Seems stupid to me (surely an intern license means more than a tech license?), but I don't write the laws. :laugh:

Edit: I am hired as a tech at my hospital because they don't hire interns. I guess that was why I was so sure that an intern could work as a tech without any special consideration.

Last edited:
You expect your looks to help you get a job/keep a job? I don't think looks had anything to do with jobs I've had so far.

So SHC, if you were a pharmacy manager and you were interviewing applicants, would you remember if they were attractive or unattractive when you were making your decision?

Depends on which job you are talking about. Looks are important in some jobs and not so much in others. In pharmacy, no looks are not that important. As long as you are at least average looking, your qualifications is much more important.

If I was a pharmacy manager and there were two people. One very attractive and somewhat qualifed and one average looking and VERY qualified, I would choose the average looking one right away. But if the person was extremely ugly or overweight, then that would be a problem...but that's the case for every job. lol....again, as long as you are average looking, qualifications usually count much more and I think qualifications are much more important. Intelligence is more important than looks.

It's not bad, really. You know the techs have some training and are likely to pull the right drug, for instance, as they know the difference between metoprolol succinate and metoprolol tartrate. Meanwhile, the assistants are basically cashiers that have gone through a background check.

Basically, the system's set up so anyone working behind the counter is accountable to the board of pharmacy. Do you have cashiers working behind the counter that will not have a technician registration?

I liked your earlier questions! Oh well I missed them. Well I am gonna answer them anyway. Techs can type and make IV's. They do all the normal tech stuff.

Yes I think some pharmacies employ some "clerks" rather than techs and pay them less. I think they mostly just run the register. I am not really familiar with the practise personally, I have only heard of this second hand. I think Walmart has clerks in addition to techs. I think they use clerks to get around the pharmacist:tech ratio. Again this is all second hand and could be embarrassingly inaccurate.

I liked your earlier questions! Oh well I missed them. Well I am gonna answer them anyway. Techs can type and make IV's. They do all the normal tech stuff.

Yes I think some pharmacies employ some "clerks" rather than techs and pay them less. I think they mostly just run the register. I am not really familiar with the practise personally, I have only heard of this second hand. I think Walmart has clerks in addition to techs. I think they use clerks to get around the pharmacist:tech ratio. Again this is all second hand and could be embarrassingly inaccurate.

The one advantage with assistants is you can do some minimal stuff in pharmacy (still count, still handle drugs, still file Rx's) without doing a certified tech training program. It was great to volunteer as an assistant when I was applying to pharm school. Now that FL is requiring the official training, they may put some sort of assistant program in place.

Have you had law yet? We just had our class, and it helped to straighten out all the crazy rules for pharmacies. We can have a 3:1 ratio of techs to pharmacists here, but assistants don't count in that ratio.

I worked at Walgreens and Target without any experience or training. I was never resigered either. I think anyone can be a tech in North Carolina or Georgia.

The one advantage with assistants is you can do some minimal stuff in pharmacy (still count, still handle drugs, still file Rx's) without doing a certified tech training program. It was great to volunteer as an assistant when I was applying to pharm school. Now that FL is requiring the official training, they may put some sort of assistant program in place.

Have you had law yet? We just had our class, and it helped to straighten out all the crazy rules for pharmacies. We can have a 3:1 ratio of techs to pharmacists here, but assistants don't count in that ratio.

Not yet. Hopefully I will be more knowledgeable about such things afterward. ;)

The "official training" that the Florida BOP is requiring is somewhat controversial. At the board meeting I attended they voted to allow employer-based training. In other words CVS can train CVS employees to be techs. So it's not like techs MUST attend a trade school or anything like that, they just have to go through a board approved program, which the employer can provide. A representative of area schools was not happy with that decision, she appealed but the board maintained their original decision.

Is that similar to how it works in other states or must they attend a special program?

Not yet. Hopefully I will be more knowledgeable about such things afterward. ;)

The "official training" that the Florida BOP is requiring is somewhat controversial. At the board meeting I attended they voted to allow employer-based training. In other words CVS can train CVS employees to be techs. So it's not like techs MUST attend a trade school or anything like that, they just have to go through a board approved program, which the employer can provide. A representative of area schools was not happy with that decision, she appealed but the board maintained their original decision.

Is that similar to how it works in other states or must they attend a special program?

Apparently, techs here can go through an employer-based training program, but they still need to pass a national exam. I've heard the one at Walgreen's is actually pretty good, but that's just through hearsay.

Intern to pharmacist ratio 1-1? I guess that might not be the case in PA? We've had 3 interns working in our store at a time. Not sure if legal or not. I know a preceptor can't have more than 2 interns, but I'm not sure if they can show up at the same time or not. We didn't touch state law in law class...I guess that's why 20% of us fail the MPJE.

The Texas Board only requires you to have the PTCB certification, and the school is one option for obtaining it.

To be honest, the schools seem like they instruct you to the level that might make you useful in a hospital. Working at Walmart, Walgreens, etc doesn't seem to require anywhere near as much knowledge so much as it takes someone who's open-minded and quick to learn.

They teach you their system and you fit into the workflow like a cog in a machine.

There are some rumblings locally about pushing for it to be a requirement for techs to have an associates, but I don't think that idea will take hold in the near future. 20 years from now? We'll see.

As long as you are at least average looking, your qualifications is much more important.

But if the person was extremely ugly or overweight, then that would be a problem...but that's the case for every job. lol....

Can't you be sued for having this exact mentality?

again, as long as you are average looking, qualifications usually count much more and I think qualifications are much more important. Intelligence is more important than looks.

Unless they're fat. Or ugly.

Well, I can relate.

Some guys really dig the whole "self-absorbed, insipid ****" personality

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow, just wow. I am glad you are not in my region for Wal-Mart. I would have you black listed in an instant.

Depends on which job you are talking about. Looks are important in some jobs and not so much in others. In pharmacy, no looks are not that important. As long as you are at least average looking, your qualifications is much more important.

If I was a pharmacy manager and there were two people. One very attractive and somewhat qualifed and one average looking and VERY qualified, I would choose the average looking one right away. But if the person was extremely ugly or overweight, then that would be a problem...but that's the case for every job. lol....again, as long as you are average looking, qualifications usually count much more and I think qualifications are much more important. Intelligence is more important than looks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employment_discrimination_law_in_the_United_States

I suggest you read up on those lest you grossly violate them.

13_Haters_Gonna_Hate-s600x448-62668-580.jpg

YEAH HI SORRY MODS I WON'T CALL HER NAMES ANYMORE

I dont know. I dont like working with ugly chicks. Or old chicks. 1984 isnt bad. I could definitely roll with that. and based solely on her thread posts i can probably assume we got at least a 7 here. I would think a manager could work with that as long as she was eager to advance in the profession.

I dont know. I dont like working with ugly chicks. Or old chicks. 1984 isnt bad. I could definitely roll with that. and based solely on her thread posts i can probably assume we got at least a 7 here. I would think a manager could work with that as long as she was eager to advance in the profession.

What do you mean by eager? Do you mean willing to perform certain *ahem* services?

i dont know. I dont like working with ugly chicks. Or old chicks. 1984 isnt bad. I could definitely roll with that. And based solely on her thread posts i can probably assume we got at least a 7 here. I would think a manager could work with that as long as she was eager to advance in the profession.

lol

A lot of places require you to only work once or twice a month in order to stay in the system. You should be able to swing that.

the store manager at the Walgreen's I use to work at thought I was attractive. That might have helped in not firing me since I had a few customer complaints while I was working there...not sure though. LOL....

Oh yes! Because as a woman myself, I can't explain how beyond fulfillling and gratifying it is to know I am selected or retaining my position because somebody with power wants to park it in me..:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Matter of fact, a bit ago at the hospital pharmacy I used to volunteer at, I caused a bit of drama by just minding my business. Someone was overheard telling someone else something he'd like to do to me, causing the said person who overheard it to spread it around, then before you know it, there was an uproar about how no wonder Scooby gets the fun/easy/favorite tasks to do. Then since the original loose lipped perpetrator wasnt yet revealed, a few more OTHER than him came out to confess what questionable thing(s) they may have said in the past about me to cover their asses. So there I was, looking like the pharmacy town slut just by doing what I'm told, and looking the way I do. It's ridiculous, never really was the same afterwards, I moved on anyway... but of course..NO HARD FEELINGS (my avatar pics are always really me so gotta keep the peace since I'm identifiable ;) )

You know, the least I can say for anyone who may not be considered beauty queen/king or mr./ms. body of the year by most of our standards can proudly be certain that their success is 100% from their own achievements and hardwork. I'm sure pretty rewarding.

Yeah, let's get some details..

haha..:laugh:
Mr. Pink Panther in the porsche, I'm not sure, but you strike me as the brainy gentleman type who is not motivated nor would partake in crudely referencing women in a sexually demeaning manner. I'm sure his remarks are outside your realm of comprehension. :cool:

How much bird poop got on you when you got the avatar picture taken?

How much bird poop got on you when you got the avatar picture taken?

I can't even look at that picture. The thought of having birds around me freaks me out.