Working While in PT School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredpt000

Reaction score
My DPT program just announced that classes will be online for the fall semester. Since I'll be staying home, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to keep my current summer job. I know having online classes doesn't change the rigor of the material, but with me being home and having nothing to do outside of school, I feel like I could use my free time to make some extra money.

Members don't see this ad.

My DPT program just announced that classes will be online for the fall semester. Since I'll be staying home, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to keep my current summer job. I know having online classes doesn't change the rigor of the material, but with me being home and having nothing to do outside of school, I feel like I could use my free time to make some extra money.
It's possible. Really depends on how many credits you're taking and how many hours you'll be working. Also depends on how many hours you require to study and do well - that varies for everyone - and you won't really know until you start because DPT requires entirely different studying techniques than undergrad. And is it worth it - is the money worth it, do you enjoy the job, is it giving you more than it takes from you...time is very precious in DPT school.

I was working around 10 hours my first semester & it was fine. Then each semester I dropped more and more hours due to school demands, down to just two hours/week. Even that got to be a pain because I was just so busy with school, but I was doing it for both pay and really for a free gym membership. It also forced me to not be a student for a little while, which is a good thing...lol.

I also know a decent number of people in my program who maintain part-time jobs, ranging up to 20 hours/week (although I have no idea how on earth they manage that many hours, I personally would not be able to). Make sure that this job does not replace time that you will NEED for life balance - friends/family, sleep, exercise, food prep.....I know you're saying you don't have much else to do outside of school, but don't underestimate the need for time to maintain balance.

I think keep it, and if you just can't maintain it, then quit, just make sure of course you give them ample notice. Better than getting into the semester and realizing you could have handled work at the same time and really wish you still had the job but you quit.

Out of curiosity, what state is your school in?

It's possible. Really depends on how many credits you're taking and how many hours you'll be working. Also depends on how many hours you require to study and do well - that varies for everyone - and you won't really know until you start because DPT requires entirely different studying techniques than undergrad. And is it worth it - is the money worth it, do you enjoy the job, is it giving you more than it takes from you...time is very precious in DPT school.

I was working around 10 hours my first semester & it was fine. Then each semester I dropped more and more hours due to school demands, down to just two hours/week. Even that got to be a pain because I was just so busy with school, but I was doing it for both pay and really for a free gym membership. It also forced me to not be a student for a little while, which is a good thing...lol.

I also know a decent number of people in my program who maintain part-time jobs, ranging up to 20 hours/week (although I have no idea how on earth they manage that many hours, I personally would not be able to). Make sure that this job does not replace time that you will NEED for life balance - friends/family, sleep, exercise, food prep.....I know you're saying you don't have much else to do outside of school, but don't underestimate the need for time to maintain balance.

I think keep it, and if you just can't maintain it, then quit, just make sure of course you give them ample notice. Better than getting into the semester and realizing you could have handled work at the same time and really wish you still had the job but you quit.

Out of curiosity, what state is your school in?
My job is super flexible which is why I think it'll work. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if I can handle both. My school is in Virginia.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can try. Just be mentally prepared to quit your job as soon as / if you start feeling it's taking your time away from school or sleep, or rest.
You don't have to be stuck inside the house with online courses. You can study outside (I studied while I was walking every day for a couple if hours), take an hour break once or twice a day to go somewhere (shopping, gym, walk, bike... whatever activities you like), you will need mental break anyway.

I’m just entering my second year of school and worked part time the whole first year (20-25 hours a week). I just went through each syllabus to find out which weeks were going to be tougher and arranged my schedule around exams, practicals, etc. Most of my classmates were shocked when I told them how many hours I worked, but it was honestly very doable with good time management. I caught up on readings and assignments over my lunches and studied a lot on the weekends or before work. I still had plenty of time for myself, but my busy times were jam packed. You’ll just have to find what works for you! Good luck!!

I would recommend not working during the first couple of weeks to a month, however, so you can get a feel for the program and what is going to be asked of you.

Reactions: 2 users