Working with Deaf Children?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrianaGrace17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm just interested in how it works to be an Audiologist and have an interest in working with the deaf. They're almost opposing fields in many ways, so I'm not sure how someone would go about dabbling in all their interests. But then I'm also interested in Aural Rehab, which I feel like that goes against the deaf again.

What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!

I'm just interested in how it works to be an Audiologist and have an interest in working with the deaf. They're almost opposing fields in many ways, so I'm not sure how someone would go about dabbling in all their interests. But then I'm also interested in Aural Rehab, which I feel like that goes against the deaf again.

What are your thoughts?

my thoughts are that you should come to gallaudet! there are a small number of audiologists who work in schools for the deaf who do exactly what you're interested in. maryland school for the deaf is a great example - http://www.msd.edu/

Hey everyone!

What are your thoughts?

Aside from what Cidanu said, I really don't think that Audiology and Deaf Culture are mutually exclusive. I think Gallaudet is a great idea for someone who might wish to have a reputation as a 'Deaf-Friendly Audiologist' or just show some extra respect. The Deaf Community and Audiologists have to interact with one another at some point in their lives, even if it's just to have a baseline audiogram to use as evidence for accommodations in the school system.

I think many pre-speech-and-hearing-sciences programs have ASL concentrations (that's what mine was), so you can try that. I think Aural Rehab is something that's taught in all AuD programs (correct me if I'm wrong, grad students) so you won't need any help dabbling in that department.

Also, a lot of that dabbling will happen in graduate school when you do your clinical hours in different settings. Don't worry about getting all the exposure now, just focus on getting the basics down!

Members don't see this ad :)
But then I'm also interested in Aural Rehab, which I feel like that goes against the deaf again.

Sorry, one more thing. I just want to single out this statement because it reflects a mindset I had at the beginning of my undergraduate program: that we as Audiologists have to take a stand on those issues. The opposite is true.

It's not our job as Audiologists to make the decisions for our clients, or their parents. It's our job to provide adequate, accurate, and unbiased information so that the client (or their parents) can make an informed decision. Then, it's our job to support that decision and provide all the necessary follow-up information, care, or referrals.

For example: It's not our place to be professionally for or against Deaf culture, but it is our place to be informed about Deaf culture so that if a hearing parent discovers his or her child is deaf, we can provide information about it and let them know that there are other options aside from mainstreaming and oralism.

I know you're just beginning to investigate Audiology as a career so I want to be very clear: I'm not trying to be hard on you! :) I would never have learned this myself if I hadn't been taught. I figure it's my duty to pass on useful knowledge. :)

Sorry, one more thing. I just want to single out this statement because it reflects a mindset I had at the beginning of my undergraduate program: that we as Audiologists have to take a stand on those issues. The opposite is true.

It's not our job as Audiologists to make the decisions for our clients, or their parents. It's our job to provide adequate, accurate, and unbiased information so that the client (or their parents) can make an informed decision. Then, it's our job to support that decision and provide all the necessary follow-up information, care, or referrals.

For example: It's not our place to be professionally for or against Deaf culture, but it is our place to be informed about Deaf culture so that if a hearing parent discovers his or her child is deaf, we can provide information about it and let them know that there are other options aside from mainstreaming and oralism.

I know you're just beginning to investigate Audiology as a career so I want to be very clear: I'm not trying to be hard on you! :) I would never have learned this myself if I hadn't been taught. I figure it's my duty to pass on useful knowledge. :)

Of course! Thank you so much for pointing these important things out! I'm simply a beginning student who is trying to find out how things work in this field, and I greatly appreciate your advice! I just want to find a way to be a well-respected Audiologist with every patient I will work with.

GU sounds like a wonderful option! It's something I'll have to look into. Thank you both!

I would like to second this as well. I have only told one of my professors (who I feel very close to and he has been an amazing mentor to me) my personal stance on cochlear implants and thats because it is irrelevant for us to take a stance. It is all about unbiased information and full disclosure to our patients and encouraging them to follow whatever road is best for them and their families...which I absolutely love :)

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site and this is my first post...I had to jump in on this discussion. I agree with the previous posts. I came into this field from an interesting background...I am a child of Deaf parents and have worked as an American Sign Language Interpreter for many years. When I first decided to study Audiology, it felt a bit like going to the "dark side." But now, I love it! My emphasis is in Pediatric Audiology at Utah State University, which includes a focus in Auditory Learning and Spoken Language. I do not regret my decision to go in this direction at all. I now feel prepared to truly give unbiased information and service regardless of the communication mode. You can be a competent audiologist and Deaf friendly.

By the way, Brianna, check out our program at USU. We are small and relatively new, but we have a brand new pediatric facility that is awesome! I graduated with a B.S. from ASU and preferred to stay in AZ, but I had to move to Utah for family reasons...I am at a different stage of life than many of my younger colleagues...I am so glad I decided to attend USU. I am sure it will be listed as one of the top facilities for pediatrics in the near future! Good luck with your search. I am in my 3rd year and can't wait to get out there and start practicing.

Thank you RCLAUD! I actually have family that live in Ogden, yet I've never been there...USU sounds like a wonderful place! My goal is to be a deaf-friendly pediatric audiologist, so that sounds pretty perfect. I'll have to check it out!