Working with the Military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTNick

Reaction score
I am a current DPT Student and I am also a veteran. I am interested in working on a base for the military (not join the military again). Does anyone have anyone experience in this field? Maybe any recommendations of this I can do now to set my self up for being more marketable to them. Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

For the record: Not a PT, but a current member working in healthcare with some experience working in an active duty hospital.

I feel like working as a civilian PT on a military installation may be difficult *to get into*, considering most PTs I've ever encountered in the military were active duty PTs. When I was stationed at Wright-Patt, I saw a PT a couple of times and my appointments were always with military PT (don't think I saw a civilian PT there).

I just did a USAjobs.gov job search for physical therapists and there are multiple positions open across the country to work at Air Force installations (to my surprise). You may need to be a bit flexible as far as where you want to live/work considering there's postings in Alaska, Ohio, Utah, etc. Since you're a military veteran (thank you for your service), you'll be a preferred candidate (I would assume) given the security clearance, military status, etc.

Hopefully this information helps you. Good luck with the rest of your schooling and future job search!

*Edit: Wanted to clarify what was exactly difficult.*

Last edited:
For the record: Not a PT, but a current member working in healthcare with some experience working in an active duty hospital.

I feel like working as a civilian PT on a military installation may be difficult *to get into*, considering most PTs I've ever encountered in the military were active duty PTs. When I was stationed at Wright-Patt, I saw a PT a couple of times and my appointments were always with military PT (don't think I saw a civilian PT there).

I just did a USAjobs.gov job search for physical therapists and there are multiple positions open across the country to work at Air Force installations (to my surprise). You may need to be a bit flexible as far as where you want to live/work considering there's postings in Alaska, Ohio, Utah, etc. Since you're a military veteran (thank you for your service), you'll be a preferred candidate (I would assume) given the security clearance, military status, etc.

Hopefully this information helps you. Good luck with the rest of your schooling and future job search!

*Edit: Wanted to clarify what was exactly difficult.*
Awesome thanks so much for the information!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently a physician working at an active duty hospital with PTs. There are several civilian PTs that work here. The military also incorporates ATCs into the rehab setting. They often function or are viewed as "PTs."

The civilian positions are either government positions (GS) or as a "contractor." You are not a true contractor (i.e. 1099) but work as an employee (W2) for a vendor that has the billet (i.e. 3 year contract) to staff the hospital. When doing your searching, type in "federal", "military", and "physical therapy." These positions are sometimes listed as temporary or locums jobs. These can be 1 year positions but then they often resign you annually through the cycle of the billet.

I'm currently a physician working at an active duty hospital with PTs. There are several civilian PTs that work here. The military also incorporates ATCs into the rehab setting. They often function or are viewed as "PTs."

The civilian positions are either government positions (GS) or as a "contractor." You are not a true contractor (i.e. 1099) but work as an employee (W2) for a vendor that has the billet (i.e. 3 year contract) to staff the hospital. When doing your searching, type in "federal", "military", and "physical therapy." These positions are sometimes listed as temporary or locums jobs. These can be 1 year positions but then they often resign you annually through the cycle of the billet.
Awesome, thank you so much!