Working without DEA registration?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pmrres

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I don't plan to prescribe narcotics can I get away with not registering with the DEA? I don't want to spend $700 on getting a DEA number when I don't plan to use it. My only concern is if insurances and medicare will block me from credentialing if I dont have a DEA.

Anyone have experience getting insurance credentialed without a DEA number?

Members don't see this ad.

Will you be writing ultram? Soma? Lyrica? Ambien? You don't just need a DEA for narcs, but for all controlled meds.

You were still thinking like her resident, we're every last penny matters. Your day is deductible, and you're going to make several hundred thousand dollars this year. This is just a cost of doing business

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
how can you say that you won't prescribe ANY controlled substances? What if you have a severely claustrophobic person who you want a MRI? Rx a single tab of Valium? Need a DEA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will you be writing ultram? Soma? Lyrica? Ambien? You don't just need a DEA for narcs, but for all controlled meds.

You were still thinking like her resident, we're every last penny matters. Your day is deductible, and you're going to make several hundred thousand dollars this year. This is just a cost of doing business

Did you say Soma?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carisoprodol

Banned in some countries, not a reasonable choice in any patient at any time.

Soma is a schedule II drug in Louisiana

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Let's say hypothetically I won't be prescribing controlled substances. Will insurances let me credential without a DEA number?

Let's say hypothetically I won't be prescribing controlled substances. Will insurances let me credential without a DEA number?
I'm sure that some will, some wont. But I don't know how anyone can be a good doctor and NEVER prescribe any controlled substances. I prescribe significantly less than most physicians, and still occasionally have a need to.

LOL. I've worked at a few urgent care clinics and it's hard to stay employed without a DEA. I can't see how a PM&R doc can feasibly make a living without ever prescribing controlled substances. Are you planning on opening your own clinic?

Even if you don't want to write for narcs ever and just do general PM&R you still may need to write for stuff as mentioned above. Valium for spasticity, lyrica for neuropathic pain and stuff like methylphenidate for neurostim all need a DEA.

Thank you for your responses dear colleagues. I was thinking to avoid spending the $700 for DEA registration but you have all convinced me to get it just to avoid any roadblocks from insurances in credentialing.

Do you have to have a DEA only for discharge scripts or also for putting in orders say for ritalin or lyrica while the patient is in the hospital or do inpatient orders go under the facilities DEA?

you need a DEA to prescribe controlled substances in any situation. The hospital will have your info on file.