Workload and Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chewy2008

MS-4
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the workload like for studying for an MPH degree full-time? What is the typical schedule like?

I'm considering taking Organic Chemistry and Physics for the 1st year, and a couple of upper division biology courses in the 2nd. Would it be too much considering I would have to do papers, theses and presentations?

Also, I've heard about grade inflation in graduate school work. Do you know which schools specifically have this grade inflation or are known to have really tough courses?

Members don't see this ad.

You could certainly do your orgo, physics, and bio classes during your MPH, but my guess would be that would push you over full-time status with your school? There may be additional costs associated with that. Look into that.

As for the workload, you'll be busy, but it'll be doable. Just be sure you know what you're getting yourself into time-wise with orgo and physics (both classes should have lab on top of lecture). In terms of difficulty, you shouldn't have to worry too much as long as you stay on top of it all.

Grade inflation is a known phenomenon in graduate school (regardless of department, minus med/law). As long as you're doing what you need to be doing, you'll receive at least B's, if you give a reasonable effort, you should consistently get A's.

I am currently finishing my first year in an MPH program at Georgia State University. I took an Ochem lab my second semester and I plan to do some physics and biology as well, similar to you. I think it is totally doable. Yes, there is grade inflation and the classes are easier than science classes and as a good student, you know how to do what you need to do to get the grade you want. So it is doable. The drawback is that you might not get as much out of the program as you would if you had full commitment to your masters classes. I find myself paying closer attention to the science classes where I know I could possibly get a B or a C in if I dont put the effort into. Most students in grad school do well in their classes. Most get A's. A B is more like a C it seems like.

Ive found the real learning in MPH programs has more to do with being involved in projects and DOING. From what I've experienced, being close to faculty, gaining research experience, writing a meaningful thesis, these are the things that help a student stand out among all the A's in the program. I found a Graduate Research Assistant position, joined student government, and got involved in any way possible.

In short, it is doable, just dont forget to do more than go through the motions. If you are applying to medical school, drawing some personally meaningful experience from this field is going to helpful. Its said around these forums that a MPH doesnt do much for med school applications, but if you develop a love for what you do in public health and gain some experience working in underserved populations, that will come through in your demeanor. Since being in this program, Ive found a greater desire to connect with people in meaningful ways and also learned to talk to doctors and become acclimated to the medical field. The insight gained from this experience is going to be valuable when applying to medical school. Good luck!