Workload compared to Nursing School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNtoMD87

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For any RNs turned Med students- So I can get a mental picture of the workload, what is it like compared to nursing? I feel like not having to do clinical and practicum simultaneously will be an improvement. It stressed me being given information, having 2 12 hour clinical days with preclinicals, and then being tested the next day.

Members don't see this ad.

Not the same.

Reactions: 2 users
LOL. Sorry. I am not an RN-turned-med-student, but want to make sure you have at least some idea of what you're getting into.

For the first 1.5-2 years you will have about 4-6 hours of lecture to digest Monday-Friday. This will be accompanied by another 4-6 hours of self study each day if you want to be a good student. The content is orders of magnitude more difficult to comprehend than nursing school curriculum. If you do not have a hard science background (nursing is not), what may take some students an hour to get through may take you a day. Most schools have a systems based curriculum now, and there will be mandatory labs scattered in throughout the week. There will also typically be at least some sort of graded exam every 2 weeks. The big exams in each system are typically brutally long (3-4 hours), typically one every month. The other facet is that most schools are pass-fail. Yes, you can slack off and do the bare minimum to pass. This still requires a significant amount of effort. Bottom line: 8-10 hours a day of rigorous mental exercise M-F. Every other weekend spent dealing with exam prep.

The USMLE step 1, arguably the most important thing you do in medical school, will require you to lock yourself in the library for 10 hours a day, every day, for 8 straight weeks rote memorizing study guides and doing thousands of practice questions. I am not exaggerating.

The third year is similar to what you describe for nursing, just much more intense. On the worst block, surgery, you will have 2 straight months of arriving at 4AM, a mix of floor work and OR shadowing until 6PM, going home and studying until 10 PM, and repeating this 6 out of 7 days a week. The easiest block, psychiatry, will allow you to show up at 8 and leave around 2-3 most days. The other blocks are somewhere in between. Blocks typically run back-to-back for 12 straight months without a break (i.e., no vacation). Exams occur at the end of your block, and they are mostly responsible for your grade in the clerkship, which is a big deal for residency selection (bigger than your pre-clinical grades). We did not get any dedicated study time for these exams.

The fourth year is mostly elective. If you are applying to a very competitive specialty, your hours and work effort won't be much less than third year, and you'll be traveling all over the country. If you're applying for a non-competitive specialty, you can average 20 hour weeks no problem.

This is followed by intern year, which is orders of magnitude worse than anything I have just described. It will be the worst year of your life, but you'll come out of it barely, just marginally competent to perform basic care.
But Nah, lets just give 2 year nursing grads "graduate degrees" from an online program and let them function as primary care docs. Same thing, right?

If an adcom lets you past the gates, then you have the cerebral horsepower to do it (most of the population doesn't), so if you've made it that far, don't be scared. If you put the hours in, you WILL pass. You need to be emotionally prepared for what's ahead, however. I.e., the stress you refer to will be severely worse and you need to stay on top of it and make sure you are dealing with it before things snowball out of your control, which can happen in a matter of weeks.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
hmm, depend on the nursing programs. But nursing program is no mean a cakewalk. I took my wife nursing exam and flunk it pretty bad. There are some weird questions about nursing patient management that I will gladly take Step 1 questions instead

For any RNs turned Med students- So I can get a mental picture of the workload, what is it like compared to nursing? I feel like not having to do clinical and practicum simultaneously will be an improvement. It stressed me being given information, having 2 12 hour clinical days with preclinicals, and then being tested the next day.
Way harder. And you still get tested during the clinicals via shelfs. But honestly, the hardest part will be the science and the background knowledge. You will learn how little you actually know once you get in.

Reactions: 1 users
hmm, depend on the nursing programs. But nursing program is no mean a cakewalk. I took my wife nursing exam and flunk it pretty bad. There are some weird questions about nursing patient management that I will gladly take Step 1 questions instead
Your wrong, nursing is so incredibly easier that I have to believe you aren't in med school to make this comment. And my nursing program straight up failed out over 40% of students, delayed (via failed courses) 20% and only 40% graduated on time, so not a cakewalk program.

The comparison, is that they don't compare. Nursing =10 hours a week of studying to pass, plus listening to lecture. Med school = minimum 40 hours of studying to pass plus lecture. And quite frankly med school isn't just 4x harder, more like 10x which is about the level of detail difference. That said you can adjust. But nursing has to one of the worst prep degrees for med school there is.

If you want to understand endurancewise what it is like, I think its better to compare it to working as a nurse. Just imagine doing 6 12's every week (I still take one day off, and I suggest the same to everyone), thats what it feels like.

Last edited:
Way harder. And you still get tested during the clinicals via shelfs. But honestly, the hardest part will be the science and the background knowledge. You will learn how little you actually know once you get in.
I expected it to be much more work, but I'll still trade this for questions that I feel are "opinion". I argued down many of my nursing school teachers and they could never tell me a scientific reason why my answer was wrong and theirs was right. And many times the "correct" answer is flat out wrong.

For instance: a cdiff patient is in their room, and they yell- "I have to go to the bathroom" and you hear them strugglig to get out of bed. What do you do

A. Go inside the room
B. Put on gloves and a gown
C. Ask another nurse to go in the room
D. Ask the UAP to bring a bedpan

Correct answer is B by the way. A,B, and D are all correct answers, but I say A is most urgent. I'm more concerned with my patient, nauseated and weak from Cdiff tripping and falling on the floor. I'm going to go into the room and keep them from falling FIRST. Then go get my gown and get the supplies etc.

But the test makers say:Cdiff precautions require gown and gloves to be worn whenever the nurse enters the room.

Your wrong, nursing is so incredibly easier that I have to believe you aren't in med school to make this comment. And my nursing program straight up failed out over 40% of students, delayed (via failed courses) 20% and only 40% graduated on time, so not a cakewalk program.

The comparison, is that they don't compare. Nursing =10 hours a week of studying to pass, plus listening to lecture. Med school = minimum 40 hours of studying to pass plus lecture. And quite frankly med school isn't just 4x harder, more like 10x which is about the level of detail difference. That said you can adjust. But nursing has to one of the worst prep degrees for med school there is.

If you want to understand endurancewise what it is like, I think its better to compare it to working as a nurse. Just imagine doing 6 12's every week (I still take one day off, and I suggest the same to everyone), thats what it feels like.
I don't mind the study time. I spend every free moment studying as it is. Whether it's Roman history, chemistry, or whatever. I love to learn. What I hated was what I felt like a bull**** education where they're trying to trick you, or it's total opinion. Which I wholeheartedly feel like nursing is in the majority. I was told by instructors that I learned "too much science" and it made choosing the correct answer harder.

There's no way I could've done this at a younger age, as I had to figure out some medical issues and mature mentally. But while what you're describing does seem like a lot of work, it seems no different than what I' do currently. I'll just have to study different things, probably won't hit the gym as often, and I already refuse to see my girlfriend more than like a day a week to prevent from losing focus. It honestly excites me that it's so in depth. This is why I don't want to be an NP. I feel like they don't know anything.

Last edited:
I expected it to be much more work, but I'll still trade this for questions that I feel are "opinion". I argued down many of my nursing school teachers and they could never tell me a scientific reason why my answer was wrong and theirs was right. And many times the "correct" answer is flat out wrong.

For instance: a cdiff patient is in their room, and they yell- "I have to go to the bathroom" and you hear them strugglig to get out of bed. What do you do

A. Go inside the room
D. Ask the UAP to bring a bedside commode

Correct answer is B by the way. A,B, and D are all correct answers, but I say A is most urgent. I'm more concerned with my patient, nauseated and weak from Cdiff tripping and falling on the floor. I'm going to go into the room and keep them from falling FIRST. Then go get my gown and get the supplies etc.

But the test makers say:Cdiff precautions require gown and gloves to be worn whenever the nurse enters the room.
No B is correct. Remember the mechanism of transmission for C-diff. That patient is on contact, so in your imaginary perfect world you must gown always first. And supernurses never ask a tech or another nurse to go in.

Yes, those questions won't be there in med school. Your c-diff question will look more like: A pt comes in with complaints of GI distress. He recently had sinusitis, and took some medication for it. What is the MOA of the drug that likely caused this infection?

Reactions: 1 user
I don't mind the study time. I spend every free moment studying as it is. Whether it's Roman history, chemistry, or whatever. I love to learn. What I hated was what I felt like a bull**** education where they're trying to trick you, or it's total opinion. Which I wholeheartedly feel like nursing is in the majority. I was told by instructors that I learned "too much science" and it made choosing the correct answer harder.
Nursing is that way, but you get a feel for it. That said I actually did better in some classes in medical school than I did in nursing (hello OB!). You will find that even in medicine you can have some inconsistency and there will be things that you are really wondering why you are studying them right now. I love to learn as well, but I promise you can get bored after enough time.

I am not trying to discourage you tho, I actually encourage you to pursue medicine if you have an interest. And if you decide its too long, PA is a great runner up. I certainly don't miss Betty Nueman or any other 'nursing diagnosis' or theory. I don't regret leaving those things behind at all.

No B is correct. Remember the mechanism of transmission for C-diff. That patient is on contact, so in your imaginary perfect world you must gown always first. And supernurses never ask a tech or another nurse to go in.

Yes, those questions won't be there in med school. Your c-diff question will look more like: A pt comes in with complaints of GI distress. He recently had sinusitis, and took some medication for it. What is the MOA of the drug that likely caused this infection?
Sounds much more up my alley. And although people say having nursing experience doesn't help whatsoever, I don't understand how knowing many drugs going in, having several A&P classes won't help at all. I mean I know antibiotic classes, different mechanisms for antihypertensives, etc. made a 100 in pharm.

Not saying it's even in the same BALLPARK as far as difficulty, but I couldn't truly learn these drugs in school until I was mixing them and using them in real life. Now I'll never forget anything I've administered. I don't see how this can't help at all. I have anchor knowledge to tie the new knowledge to.

Sounds much more up my alley. And although people say having nursing experience doesn't help whatsoever, I don't understand how knowing many drugs going in, having several A&P classes won't help at all. I mean I know antibiotic classes, different mechanisms for antihypertensives, etc. made a 100 in pharm.

Not saying it's even in the same BALLPARK as far as difficulty, but I couldn't truly learn these drugs in school until I was mixing them and using them in real life. Now I'll never forget anything I've administered. I don't see how this can't help at all. I have anchor knowledge to tie the new knowledge to.
I wouldn't say that. And I do agree that having memories to tie stuff to can be very helpful sometimes. I am just saying don't expect it to help too much. And trust me the mechanisms you think you know, are actually a bit deeper than you know. Take for instance a B blocker, maybe you even know that metoprolol favors B1 over B2. But thats not enough, you now need to know how a B1 receptor works in the first place, i.e. NE binds to B1 which is a GalphaS increasing adenylate cyclase which increases cAMP which activate Phosphokinase A which opens the Ca channel which allows Ca to activate the sarcoplastimic reticulum which then releases more Ca+ which causes contraction etc etc. We aren't even going into adverse reactions, and Cyp3A4 interactions. There is just more to learn.

The rabbit hole just gets alot deeper. In a way its fun, and Pharm was my best class, so I can't claim nursing didn't help, but I wouldn't want to put the expectation that it made anything easy other than showing 'empathy' with standardized patients or basic skills.

A. Go inside the room

Sorry but this made me laugh. B is the correct answer here. Do you want to get cdiff? If you get cdiff, are you going to be able to be at work and helping your patients? Protect yourself first, then help others.

Members don't see this ad :)
>Comparing an undergraduate program to a doctorate

Nursing school vs Med school... my head hurts thinking about how to put this in words.

Medical school is much much much much hard than nursing school. I can't even explain it. Sorry. @RNthenDoc said it best. It's comparing and Associates/Bachelors workload to a Doctoral workload.

I studied maybe 3-4 hours a week outside of class in nursing school and got high B's and low A's. I went to gym 2 hours a day and partied like a rockstar. In med school I pretty much just cower away in my room and study all day... aaaannnnnd i'm still a C student.

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry but this made me laugh. B is the correct answer here. Do you want to get cdiff? If you get cdiff, are you going to be able to be at work and helping your patients? Protect yourself first, then help others.
I can wash my hands. I'm more worried about my patient falling and breaking a hip. That's IF I touch them. I could easily enter the room and say "DONT GET UP!" Usually works.

Nursing school vs Med school... my head hurts thinking about how to put this in words.

Medical school is much much much much hard than nursing school. I can't even explain it. Sorry. @RNthenDoc said it best. It's comparing and Associates/Bachelors workload to a Doctoral workload.

I studied maybe 3-4 hours a week outside of class in nursing school and got high B's and low A's. I went to gym 2 hours a day and partied like a rockstar. In med school I pretty much just cower away in my room and study all day... aaaannnnnd i'm still a C student.
I didn't study for any of my sciences in college and made straight As. Studied my ass off, maybe 6 hours 5 days a week in nursing to get Cs. I think my gpa was 3.28.

Then, some airhead who doesn't even understand the mechanism of action of the drugs or A&P gets an A. It angered me. I'm not going to lie. And I got tired of saying "you're thinking too deep into the question." If you can "think too deep" the question is poorly worded.

Last edited:
I didn't study for any of my sciences in college and made straight As. Studied my ass off, maybe 6 hours 5 days a week to get Cs. I think my gpa was 3.28.

Then, some airhead who doesn't even understand the mechanism of action of the drugs or A&P gets an A. It angered me. I'm not going to lie. And I got tired of saying "you're thinking too deep into the question." If you can "think too deep" the question is poorly worded.
You guys say it's comparing an undergrad to a doctoral program, thing is with nursing I feel like even if I got my PhD in nursing i wouldn't know anything except a bunch of propaganda or opinion. We literally learned in class that we should join PACs and how to influence politicians to ban smoking, pass gun control, work towards universal healthcare, etc.

I couldn't decide if I was in a medical based school or a political one.

I can wash my hands. I'm more worried about my patient falling and breaking a hip. That's IF I touch them. I could easily enter the room and say "DONT GET UP!" Usually works.

You could also gown/glove right by the door while shouting to them not to get up and that you're coming to help! Cdiff spores don't just live on the patient, they live on surfaces as well so even walking into the room and touching a door knob the patient touched could be enough. I get the concern for the patient and fall risk is a big deal, but you shouldn't skirt around precautions.

You could also gown/glove right by the door while shouting to them not to get up and that you're coming to help! Cdiff spores don't just live on the patient, they live on surfaces as well so even walking into the room and touching a door knob the patient touched could be enough. I get the concern for the patient and fall risk is a big deal, but you shouldn't skirt around precautions.

Putting my RN brain back on for a sec - the NCLEX response is B. The actual real world action is you run in the room so grandma Bettie doesn't break her hip... Cuz if she does, she's going to die and you're going to get written up. Follow up with a gallon of Purel + soap/hot water + maybe some new scrubs.

Putting my RN brain back on for a sec - the NCLEX response is B. The actual real world action is you run in the room so grandma Bettie doesn't break her hip... Cuz if she does, she's going to die and you're going to get written up. Follow up with a gallon of Purel + soap/hot water + maybe some new scrubs.
Exactly. I'm tired of getting written up because doctors refuse to put patients in restraints, but you have 3-4 of these psych patients on several halls on stepdown and somehow are supposed to keep them from falling out of bed. When you can't get a sitter ordered for them, or the sitter just sleeps all night and they fall anyway. It's funny, our board never gets past "it's been 2 days with no falls"

And yep, always being a change of clothes.

Exactly. I'm tired of getting written up because doctors refuse to put patients in restraints, but you have 3-4 of these psych patients on several halls on stepdown and somehow are supposed to keep them from falling out of bed. When you can't get a sitter ordered for them, or the sitter just sleeps all night and they fall anyway. It's funny, our board never gets past "it's been 2 days with no falls"

And yep, always being a change of clothes.

I hear ya. I left the floor long ago. Only did ER, PACU, and ICU for the 5 years prior to med school. Much easier to maintain patient and nurse safety in those areas - except ER, that's like a "Bangkok ally fight" to quote ZDoggMD.

I hear ya. I left the floor long ago. Only did ER, PACU, and ICU for the 5 years prior to med school. Much easier to maintain patient and nurse safety in those areas - except ER, that's like a "Bangkok ally fight" to quote ZDoggMD.
I couldn't do the ER. When I was a student and did a rotation it was mostly dope seekers, people who didn't know what a primary care provider was apparently, and drama queens. I would like some of the experience but I decided to pass.

You guys say it's comparing an undergrad to a doctoral program, thing is with nursing I feel like even if I got my PhD in nursing i wouldn't know anything except a bunch of propaganda or opinion. We literally learned in class that we should join PACs and how to influence politicians to ban smoking, pass gun control, work towards universal healthcare, etc.

I couldn't decide if I was in a medical based school or a political one.

But look at most PhD programs... they are ALSO not as rough as Medicine.

A. Go inside the room

You're adding extra information to the question. I know this may be a hypothetical question you made up, but the stem never said the patient is at risk for falls. The question's purpose seems to test your understanding of cdif. As mentioned, in the real world you make a judgement call and go from there. Tests in schools are always by the book.

Anyways, I don't think the materials in school so far is harder, but the volume and pace is way faster than anything in nursing school. The details/minutae are definitely tested and adds to the volume. The same study methods someone may apply in nursing school just doesn't work anymore if you just don't have the time to study your notes. Med school makes you adapt and get better at studying.

You're adding extra information to the question. I know this may be a hypothetical question you made up, but the stem never said the patient is at risk for falls. The question's purpose seems to test your understanding of cdif. As mentioned, in the real world you make a judgement call and go from there. Tests in schools are always by the book.

Anyways, I don't think the materials in school so far is harder, but the volume and pace is way faster than anything in nursing school. The details/minutae are definitely tested and adds to the volume. The same study methods someone may apply in nursing school just doesn't work anymore if you just don't have the time to study your notes. Med school makes you adapt and get better at studying.
I would think any patient with cdiff is at risk for falls. Fluid volume deficiency, electrolyte imbalance, activity intolerance,

And no, the question was straight off my RN to BSN online course.

Any tips on studying in med school? What worked for you? Right now, I try to develop a genuine interest in what I'm learning (chemistry atm), and then learn from an array of sources. Like khan academy, textbooks, online pages, professordaveexplains, ak lectures, etc.

Nursing is that way, but you get a feel for it. That said I actually did better in some classes in medical school than I did in nursing (hello OB!). You will find that even in medicine you can have some inconsistency and there will be things that you are really wondering why you are studying them right now. I love to learn as well, but I promise you can get bored after enough time.

I am not trying to discourage you tho, I actually encourage you to pursue medicine if you have an interest. And if you decide its too long, PA is a great runner up. I certainly don't miss Betty Nueman or any other 'nursing diagnosis' or theory. I don't regret leaving those things behind at all.
You would recommend PA over NP? Seems like they get paid less and have less authority/responsibility. And NP would only take me two years.

You would recommend PA over NP? Seems like they get paid less and have less authority/responsibility. And NP would only take me two years.
They get paid the same in similar specialties, and they get paid more in the surgical specialties (where NP's are not there at all). Physicians prefer to hire them as well, and there isn't an online version of PA school. The only pluses of NP is ease of enrollment and possible independent practice, but I would be wary of doing that. Plus NP schools are still full of nursing philosophy BS and are a weaker preparation for the job of a midlevel overall due to reduced clinical hours and 'nursing algorithms' vs medical model. And many NP programs require you to set up your own rotations.

I mean there are good NP programs out there, but it sucks when your judged by the worst South University for profit online NP grad as your 'colleague.' I had enough of the nursing model by the time I left my BSN. But if its all the same to you, you could get a NP. Just make sure you futureproof yourself. Not trying to be a broken record, but times are changing in the NP world: do NOT get an online only NP degree. See quotes below.
Nursing Programs
enjoy
Advanced Practice Programs
notice what schools are on the approved list*
*I know someone is going to see Phoenix and say its online, but it isn't, at least in California.

If you really want to feel like theres hope:
"Allina Health does not hire new grads from all academic institutions. Many proprietary on-line schools do not meet Allina Health’s standards due to the minimal oversight of the student’s clinical experience, the high faculty/student ratio, and the lack of focus on national certification standards in the curriculum."
New Graduate NP/PA Application - All Locations Description at Allina Health

They get paid the same in similar specialties, and they get paid more in the surgical specialties (where NP's are not there at all). Physicians prefer to hire them as well, and there isn't an online version of PA school. The only pluses of NP is ease of enrollment and possible independent practice, but I would be wary of doing that. Plus NP schools are still full of nursing philosophy BS and are a weaker preparation for the job of a midlevel overall due to reduced clinical hours and 'nursing algorithms' vs medical model. And many NP programs require you to set up your own rotations.

I mean there are good NP programs out there, but it sucks when your judged by the worst South University for profit online NP grad as your 'colleague.' I had enough of the nursing model by the time I left my BSN. But if its all the same to you, you could get a NP. Just make sure you futureproof yourself. Not trying to be a broken record, but times are changing in the NP world: do NOT get an online only NP degree. See quotes below.
I'm not a fan of nursing in general, especially NP, but it is a very last resort option. Aside from the knowledge difference, I just hate that I'd take a pay cut. I made 108,000 my first year out of school. I don't even know if an NP makes that much. Figures I'm seeing says 70-100k.

I'm not a fan of nursing in general, especially NP, but it is a very last resort option. Aside from the knowledge difference, I just hate that I'd take a pay cut. I made 108,000 my first year out of school. I don't even know if an NP makes that much. Figures I'm seeing says 70-100k.
You must be in Cali. NP's still make more than RNs even in Cali, and 100k goes a lot further in most places other than California/NY city/Chicago. If you have 100k in Florida for instance, your doing alright. Remember that a surgical PA can get as high as 2-300k in some cases. Especially if you have no family and can dedicate some crazy time early on, the money is there.

You must be in Cali. NP's still make more than RNs even in Cali, and 100k goes a lot further in most places other than California/NY city/Chicago. If you have 100k in Florida for instance, your doing alright. Remember that a surgical PA can get as high as 2-300k in some cases. Especially if you have no family and can dedicate some crazy time early on, the money is there.
Nope, Louisiana. Standard of living is super low. I banked like 5,000 a month. I make 28.75 an hour at my full time job on step down at the regional med center, and double PE pay is 20.00 extra per hour and can grab a couple of those shifts per month. And when I worked PRN at the LTAC it was 45.00 per hour.

Key was to work 6-14s in a row at the full time job, then work a few days PRN, hopefully reaching into overtime, take a couple days off, and repeat. Can't do it now that I'm a full time college student and autopsy intern though.

Last edited:
Nope, Louisiana. Standard of living is super low. I banked like 5,000 a month. I make 28.75 an hour at my full time job on step down at the regional med center, and double PE pay is 20.00 extra per hour and can grab a couple of those shifts per month. And when I worked PRN at the LTAC it was 45.00 per hour.

Key was to work 6-14s in a row at the full time job, then work a few days PRN, hopefully reaching into overtime, take a couple days off, and repeat. Can't do it now that I'm a full time college student and autopsy intern though.
Ah the other way. Well your hourly will go up, and I guarantee if you work that much you can see 200k as a midlevel. On the other hand tho, if you are fine with working way too many hours for not that much pay whats wrong with doing it for 7-11 years in medical school?

Ah the other way. Well your hourly will go up, and I guarantee if you work that much you can see 200k as a midlevel. On the other hand tho, if you are fine with working way too many hours for not that much pay whats wrong with doing it for 7-11 years in medical school?

Once I realized I was still putting in insane hours as an RN (I thought I would only be working 3x12hr shifts...lol.) it was a huge motivator to go back to school.

Obviously med school (and some parts of premed) are much more mentally challenging, but I am already being challenged physically for much less money, so.....

Oh med school is definitely my first choice. Nothing about the money, I just want the knowledge. That's my number one motivation. Helping people, the money, all of that is secondary.

My only concern is my life later on. Having time for my wife and kids 10-15 years down the line

Once I realized I was still putting in insane hours as an RN (I thought I would only be working 3x12hr shifts...lol.) it was a huge motivator to go back to school.

Obviously med school (and some parts of premed) are much more mentally challenging, but I am already being challenged physically for much less money, so.....
You're telling me. My back and knees are effed up from lugging a 240b, and full Battle rattle around the desert for 60-90 hours a week for of 33,000 or so. Every time someone bitches nurses don't get paid enough I give em an earful. I'm not messing up my body, getting shot at and rocketed/mortared, and I make a hell of a lot more. And it isn't 145 degrees. Definitely not 145 degrees. That rotor wash was like having an oven turned all the way up and blown at you full force.

Oh med school is definitely my first choice. Nothing about the money, I just want the knowledge. That's my number one motivation. Helping people, the money, all of that is secondary.

My only concern is my life later on. Having time for my wife and kids 10-15 years down the line
Not gonna lie, I am definitely happy for my back that I am not in nursing anymore.

Not gonna lie, I am definitely happy for my back that I am not in nursing anymore.
My only concern is homelife as an MD. I have all this time NOW. But pulmonology is a passion I have to learn, but you get woken up in the middle of the night, you're following your patient through their "journey", and many of them are unappreciative dinguses who act like they're owed something because they decided to live a terribly unhealthy life. And the cardiologists I've spoken to are VERY unhappy with their careers and strongly discourage me from choosing that. I keep hearing ER is where to go, but you don't have as in depth of an understanding as the more specialized fields and that's what makes me want to leave nursing right there.

I have no idea what specialty I want to persue in medicine :/

My only concern is homelife as an MD. I have all this time NOW. But pulmonology is a passion I have to learn, but you get woken up in the middle of the night, you're following your patient through their "journey", and many of them are unappreciative dinguses who act like they're owed something because they decided to live a terribly unhealthy life. And the cardiologists I've spoken to are VERY unhappy with their careers and strongly discourage me from choosing that. I keep hearing ER is where to go, but you don't have as in depth of an understanding as the more specialized fields and that's what makes me want to leave nursing right there.

I have no idea what specialty I want to persue in medicine :/

Eh... I bounce around from ER with an EMS fellowship, to IM, to Rads, to Peds. I doubt i'll figure it out until sometime early to mid 3rd year. And yes, a large majority of the US population are buttheads - but you gotta live for the few patients a shift that you actually enjoy helping and forget the others.

I may try to go be a civilian contractor doc for the military. Those patients are actually owed something from us (in my opinion) and are most of the time much more respectful.

Eh... I bounce around from ER with an EMS fellowship, to IM, to Rads, to Peds. I doubt i'll figure it out until sometime early to mid 3rd year. And yes, a large majority of the US population are buttheads - but you gotta live for the few patients a shift that you actually enjoy helping and forget the others.

I may try to go be a civilian contractor doc for the military. Those patients are actually owed something from us (in my opinion) and are most of the time much more respectful.
Yep. That's the thought process that keeps me working as a nurse. Americans in general are so clueless. I wish they could go live in a third world country for a year to see how ridiculous their complaints are. A kid on Iraq got ran over by a truck, so an IP blew his brains out right there in the street. Few US soldiers beat his ass, but I explained, in their country, that's a death sentence and he was being merciful. Completely different worlds we live in.

Depends on where you are. My friend quit her np job because she made more as an RN in San Diego (she also quit because she felt like her np program did not adequately prepare her for autonomous practice, but she decided not to take another np job with more supervision because she was making more as an RN).

Depends on where you are. My friend quit her np job because she made more as an RN in San Diego (she also quit because she felt like her np program did not adequately prepare her for autonomous practice, but she decided not to take another np job with more supervision because she was making more as an RN).

When I started in my unit I worked with an NP on nights. She took about a 20k paycut to work bedside instead of as a mid level, but in return she got to work fewer days and had less responsibility. She stayed there for years until she found a mid level job she couldn’t turn down.

The grass isn’t always greener.

The nice thing is, as an RN/NP, you HAVE that option. During my gap year I am able to save up money and have dissolved all past debts. The RN as undergrad plan has very tangible benefits.

When I started in my unit I worked with an NP on nights. She took about a 20k paycut to work bedside instead of as a mid level, but in return she got to work fewer days and had less responsibility. She stayed there for years until she found a mid level job she couldn’t turn down.

The grass isn’t always greener.

The nice thing is, as an RN/NP, you HAVE that option. During my gap year I am able to save up money and have dissolved all past debts. The RN as undergrad plan has very tangible benefits.
I just feel like as a nurse it's all grunt work. I mean half of the stuff we learned in school were told to not use. Like when I first started, I was spending time trying to figure out abgs, respiratory vs metabolic acidosis/alkalosis. My nurse manager was like "dude what you doing? Are they breathing normal? If not call respiratory. It's that simple." And that's just one of many examples. He also told me not to worry a whole lot about ekg interpretation. Just know the extreme basics. "Telemetry is there for a reason" yeah but the ekg techs don't really seem to know much in my opinion. I'm glad I have a fair understanding of EKG's because I wouldn't trust my patients life in their hands.

"Uhh your patient has been in asystole for 10 minutes".
Yeah I seriously doubt that.

I just feel like as a nurse it's all grunt work. I mean half of the stuff we learned in school were told to not use. Like when I first started, I was spending time trying to figure out abgs, respiratory vs metabolic acidosis/alkalosis. My nurse manager was like "dude what you doing? Are they breathing normal? If not call respiratory. It's that simple." And that's just one of many examples.

Yep! There are times when I get to be smart at work, but 90% of my job could be done by a well-trained layperson. GRANTED that other 10% is truly heroic, life-saving technical stuff, but that’s the exception.

I will say, on a rapid response there can be a lot of need for diagnostic prowess. I expected codes to be the most exciting, but rapids are more interesting.

All of this impacted my decision to return to school. I’m a fairly academically sharp person, so as arrogant as it sounds, I often felt underutilized at work as I go through menial tasks like counting narcotics or making coffee for visitors. I don’t mind to ANY of that stuff (I’m paid well enough that I’d do just about anything they ask), it’s just a fulfillment issue.

I will say, on a rapid response there can be a lot of need for diagnostic prowess. I expected codes to be the most exciting, but rapids are more interesting.

I loved working on rapid response. Got to order what was needed, interpret data, and make decisions based on the results. I could even transfer to ICU without doc orders.

LOL. Sorry. I am not an RN-turned-med-student, but want to make sure you have at least some idea of what you're getting into.

For the first 1.5-2 years you will have about 4-6 hours of lecture to digest Monday-Friday. This will be accompanied by another 4-6 hours of self study each day if you want to be a good student. The content is orders of magnitude more difficult to comprehend than nursing school curriculum. If you do not have a hard science background (nursing is not), what may take some students an hour to get through may take you a day. Most schools have a systems based curriculum now, and there will be mandatory labs scattered in throughout the week. There will also typically be at least some sort of graded exam every 2 weeks. The big exams in each system are typically brutally long (3-4 hours), typically one every month. The other facet is that most schools are pass-fail. Yes, you can slack off and do the bare minimum to pass. This still requires a significant amount of effort. Bottom line: 8-10 hours a day of rigorous mental exercise M-F. Every other weekend spent dealing with exam prep.

The USMLE step 1, arguably the most important thing you do in medical school, will require you to lock yourself in the library for 10 hours a day, every day, for 8 straight weeks rote memorizing study guides and doing thousands of practice questions. I am not exaggerating.

The third year is similar to what you describe for nursing, just much more intense. On the worst block, surgery, you will have 2 straight months of arriving at 4AM, a mix of floor work and OR shadowing until 6PM, going home and studying until 10 PM, and repeating this 6 out of 7 days a week. The easiest block, psychiatry, will allow you to show up at 8 and leave around 2-3 most days. The other blocks are somewhere in between. Blocks typically run back-to-back for 12 straight months without a break (i.e., no vacation). Exams occur at the end of your block, and they are mostly responsible for your grade in the clerkship, which is a big deal for residency selection (bigger than your pre-clinical grades). We did not get any dedicated study time for these exams.

The fourth year is mostly elective. If you are applying to a very competitive specialty, your hours and work effort won't be much less than third year, and you'll be traveling all over the country. If you're applying for a non-competitive specialty, you can average 20 hour weeks no problem.

This is followed by intern year, which is orders of magnitude worse than anything I have just described. It will be the worst year of your life, but you'll come out of it barely, just marginally competent to perform basic care.
But Nah, lets just give 2 year nursing grads "graduate degrees" from an online program and let them function as primary care docs. Same thing, right?

If an adcom lets you past the gates, then you have the cerebral horsepower to do it (most of the population doesn't), so if you've made it that far, don't be scared. If you put the hours in, you WILL pass. You need to be emotionally prepared for what's ahead, however. I.e., the stress you refer to will be severely worse and you need to stay on top of it and make sure you are dealing with it before things snowball out of your control, which can happen in a matter of weeks.

And you forgot the level of detail...allow me to assist with an example ---

in college, if you're asked to have a cursory knowledge of the library you should likely know that there are 4 floors, each of which has individual and group study rooms, individual study carrolls and what each floor contains in terms of subjects, periodicals and when the library itself is open/closed....

in medical school, if you're asked to have a cursory knowledge of the library, you should know that -- there are 3 floors built with cinderblock and reinforced concrete, each wired to code xyz.33975 for Cat 5 internet using standard cable manufactured in Xaunzhou, China with plastic connectors formed from ingredients mined in Uganda by a 13 year old Ubangi-oo tribesman who was wearing his first pair of straw sandals made by his brother who has nubs for his 3rd toe on his left foot and 6 toes on his right. The cables are routed in a standard over/under fashion on a cable tray using translucent white zip ties that were packaged in Romania after being made in Bulgaria and sent over in bulk. The packaging from Romania was done by a thin, blonde, young former Olympic gymnast who was kicked out of the Olympics for doping in 1992 after appearing to have a good run in female weightlifting. Now, onto the study carrolls.....

if you get my drift --- it's not enough to just know about Cystic Fibrosis -- you need to know what 4 cellular receptors are involved, the epidemiology and statistical likelihood of each of those 4 receptors being present, which one's cause the most egregious symptoms and be prepared to be tested over that question with a 3rd order question which will start with symptoms/frequency and wind up asking you which receptor does the patient most likely have a majority of --- and that's only 1 question.....out of 100....over 3 hours with 1.5 minutes per question...afterwards, that exam will be followed by a lab...with similar questions...over 1 hour...it's not enough to be able to spout off the glycolytic pathway/ETC -- you need to know the biochemical choke points, how to transition into/out of the various parts of that whole system (lipid/protein/glucose metabolism) and what your patient could be doing that's kicking them into the other pathways and how that is standing in front of you causing them a problem ---- Everything matters and you've got 2 years to develop your base of knowledge....

We had to read all 1500 pages of Robbins/Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease and then read pertinent sections of Cecil's Textbook of Medicine AFTER we built a base of normal physiology in first year....and that doesn't include pharmacology, microbiology, immunology and a bunch of other stuff loaded on top of clinical medicine where you learn to do a basic exam.....

Compare to nursing school? Not in this lifetime...which is why some physicians get a real case of the a$$ when NPs pipe up that they're the equivalent of board certified attendings -- not in your wildest wet dream, sweetheart....

Reactions: 4 users
And you forgot the level of detail...allow me to assist with an example ---

in college, if you're asked to have a cursory knowledge of the library you should likely know that there are 4 floors, each of which has individual and group study rooms, individual study carrolls and what each floor contains in terms of subjects, periodicals and when the library itself is open/closed....

in medical school, if you're asked to have a cursory knowledge of the library, you should know that -- there are 3 floors built with cinderblock and reinforced concrete, each wired to code xyz.33975 for Cat 5 internet using standard cable manufactured in Xaunzhou, China with plastic connectors formed from ingredients mined in Uganda by a 13 year old Ubangi-oo tribesman who was wearing his first pair of straw sandals made by his brother who has nubs for his 3rd toe on his left foot and 6 toes on his right. The cables are routed in a standard over/under fashion on a cable tray using translucent white zip ties that were packaged in Romania after being made in Bulgaria and sent over in bulk. The packaging from Romania was done by a thin, blonde, young former Olympic gymnast who was kicked out of the Olympics for doping in 1992 after appearing to have a good run in female weightlifting. Now, onto the study carrolls.....

if you get my drift --- it's not enough to just know about Cystic Fibrosis -- you need to know what 4 cellular receptors are involved, the epidemiology and statistical likelihood of each of those 4 receptors being present, which one's cause the most egregious symptoms and be prepared to be tested over that question with a 3rd order question which will start with symptoms/frequency and wind up asking you which receptor does the patient most likely have a majority of --- and that's only 1 question.....out of 100....over 3 hours with 1.5 minutes per question...afterwards, that exam will be followed by a lab...with similar questions...over 1 hour...it's not enough to be able to spout off the glycolytic pathway/ETC -- you need to know the biochemical choke points, how to transition into/out of the various parts of that whole system (lipid/protein/glucose metabolism) and what your patient could be doing that's kicking them into the other pathways and how that is standing in front of you causing them a problem ---- Everything matters and you've got 2 years to develop your base of knowledge....

We had to read all 1500 pages of Robbins/Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease and then read pertinent sections of Cecil's Textbook of Medicine AFTER we built a base of normal physiology in first year....and that doesn't include pharmacology, microbiology, immunology and a bunch of other stuff loaded on top of clinical medicine where you learn to do a basic exam.....

Compare to nursing school? Not in this lifetime...which is why some physicians get a real case of the a$$ when NPs pipe up that they're the equivalent of board certified attendings -- not in your wildest wet dream, sweetheart....
Yep. And other nurses say "you'll get on the job trained working with doctors etc. that's what's really important, not the class stuff."

My response is, oh so a 20 year CNA is basically an RN right? I mean I work with several sharp CNAs that have ideas beyond their scope of practice and are a HUGE help in spotting a problem before the nurse does. Pretty much an RN.... right?

I think NP is a great idea, that could be a huge help to physicians but I don't believe they practice within the proper scope. That's a big part of the nursing education as well for you non RNs. There's this jealousy from the old RN wenches that come up with these lesson plans that think nurses need to "challenge the scope of physicians and fight for the right to practice independently". And they insist that MDs are sexist old white dudes and that the very field of nursing is a statement in racial and gender equality. There are practically whole units in textbooks that sound like some butthurt old woman complaining that she doesn't feel important.
Another HUGE turnoff to me for the nursing field. I've NEVER had a doctor talk down to me in the two years I've been a nurse. They've all been very polite.

Medical school is of course many times more comprehensive. I don’t think anyone with an ounce of common sense would draw parity between a mid level nurse and a physician in terms of their education.

I think what’s important is to show a disparity in their outcomes in primary management of disease. With all of the extra training, a physician should easily be able to outperform an NP in measurable outcomes. The more data that points to superiority and cost savings, the more secure the health system will be from incursion by mid level providers.

If that is NOT the case, then medical education should be re-evaluated.

Yep. And other nurses say "you'll get on the job trained working with doctors etc. that's what's really important, not the class stuff."

My response is, oh so a 20 year CNA is basically an RN right? I mean I work with several sharp CNAs that have ideas beyond their scope of practice and are a HUGE help in spotting a problem before the nurse does. Pretty much an RN.... right?

I think NP is a great idea, that could be a huge help to physicians but I don't believe they practice within the proper scope. That's a big part of the nursing education as well for you non RNs. There's this jealousy from the old RN wenches that come up with these lesson plans that think nurses need to "challenge the scope of physicians and fight for the right to practice independently". And they insist that MDs are sexist old white dudes and that the very field of nursing is a statement in racial and gender equality. There are practically whole units in textbooks that sound like some butthurt old woman complaining that she doesn't feel important.
Another HUGE turnoff to me for the nursing field. I've NEVER had a doctor talk down to me in the two years I've been a nurse. They've all been very polite.

Yep -- and when the defecation hits the rotary oscillating device and patients are crashing hard, those are the ones that'll be standing against the wall in the room looking like a deer in the headlights, not knowing what to do --- and then everyone points to the person with the MD/DO behind their name.....

I had more than one interesting interaction with NPs where their cocky attitude got them into trouble clinically and I happened to be the intern on call in the ICU and had to come bail them out....had another where a DNP dang near killed my father-in-law -- I had reached into my pocket for my phone as I was about to call the pulmonology department chair when an RT came in, recognized the problem and took proper action --- and that was at Baylor Scott and White, McKinney, Texas --- not joking one iota....It's to the point where I won't work with them....I mean, for Pete's sake -- when an 81 year old presents with new onset fatigue and your first thought is Vitamin D deficiency? Really? and when I ask you what's in your differential and you don't know what a differential is? Don't tell me about different training styles -- if you're not thinking about it, you won't look for it.....

Reactions: 3 users
I'm an NP and I most times dislike being an NP because I know I don't have the knowlegde base to be equivalent to the MDs I work with. All that talk about independent practice... Not for me. I want and need an MD for guidance.

This is why I'm applying to med school. I feel at times that I'm doing my patients a disservice by not having that knowledge base. I can look on UpToDate but how far can that get me?

* Sorry its my one opportunity to rant about being an NP.

Reactions: 8 users