Workload compared to Nursing School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm an NP and I most times dislike being an NP because I know I don't have the knowlegde base to be equivalent to the MDs I work with. All that talk about independent practice... Not for me. I want and need an MD for guidance.

This is why I'm applying to med school. I feel at times that I'm doing my patients a disservice by not having that knowledge base. I can look on UpToDate but how far can that get me?

* Sorry its my one opportunity to rant about being an NP.
I just think an NP should be like a DO extremely light edition. Not a cheaper MD alternative. Should be mostly holistic stuff, nursing side, possible prescribing some basic meds, not much more than that.

Members don't see this ad.

I just think an NP should be like a DO extremely light edition. Not a cheaper MD alternative. Should be mostly holistic stuff, nursing side, possible prescribing some basic meds, not much more than that.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but you know that a DO is equivalent to an MD in terms of knowledge and scope of practice, right? They are physicians.

Reactions: 4 users
Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but you know that a DO is equivalent to an MD in terms of knowledge and scope of practice, right? They are physicians.
That's why I said "extra light edition". I know that they are physicians with the same scope, but I mean in terms of joint manipulation, etc. Non pharmacological approaches is what I guess I meant.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's why I said "extra light edition". I know that they are physicians with the same scope, but I mean in terms of joint manipulation, etc. Non pharmacological approaches is what I guess I meant.

Strike two.

Very informative...

I'm a former RN that is now in med school. First of all, how different programs are perceived is highly subjective and you should take everyone's opinions with a grain of salt, including mine. Nursing school for me was fairly easy, and I received all A's. I hated a lot of it though, because a lot of it was working on bull**** group projects. I find that med school is much more up my alley since it is hard science-based and the instructors don't give us busywork.

That said, I don't think med school is that bad. I go to the gym every day, hang with family, and I rarely study past 6pm, even during exam weeks. My performance thus far is in the top 5% of my class. I had a good MCAT score and from talking with my classmates, those with higher scores tend to think med school is more chill. Some people have to work harder than others to pass, and that's ok. You need to just do you, and be aware of your strengths/weaknesses. I think you'll find that none of the material is terribly challenging from an intellectual perspective, there can just be a LOT of it. If you can get through organic chemistry I don't think there's any reason you can't get through med school just fine.

I think SOME first year med students are kind of whiny and want to paint the picture that med school is the hardest thing one could ever undertake in order to impress family/friends. In reality, it can be a pretty good life. I have more time with family than I every had when I was working full time. I never work nights or weekends if I don't want. How many other post-college grads can say that? The reality is that if you want to get ahead, you gotta bust your butt at some point. Some people do that in the work world, and we just happen to do it in school. If anything I think that med school has given me more respect for the average working person who does their job day in day out for a mediocre paycheck. At the end of med school we'll all have great jobs which is not something that everyone can say.

Hahaha we'll see what I think next year when I'm preparing for step, I think that I'll be a lot busier. I know that MS2 can be a bigger challenge and I don't want to underestimate it. Just taking it a year at a time right now :)
I think this is my mindset. Medical school may be very intensive and require work, but noone is trying to kill me. I just dont see how it can be THAT bad. I may have had a different perspective had i didnt enlist in the Army at 19 years old, and it was my first experience in the real world, but I'm not worried. Just focused.

I think this is my mindset. Medical school may be very intensive and require work, but noone is trying to kill me. I just dont see how it can be THAT bad. I may have had a different perspective had i didnt enlist in the Army at 19 years old, and it was my first experience in the real world, but I'm not worried. Just focused.

I was an RN BSN PCCN for 5 years before I started medical school. Just finished and matched. The first 2 years are EXTREMELY brutal and grueling compared to the University based BSN program I attended - and I thought I spent a lot of time studying then... HA!

It's doable. There will still be those exam questions where they try to trick you (or basically don't give you enough info to even decide). But it's light years harder because of the sheer amount of material you're expected to know.

Clinical rotations are however a walk in the park if you grasp the first 2 years and worked as a nurse in a hospital.

Reactions: 2 users
I was an RN BSN PCCN for 5 years before I started medical school. Just finished and matched. The first 2 years are EXTREMELY brutal and grueling compared to the University based BSN program I attended - and I thought I spent a lot of time studying then... HA!

It's doable. There will still be those exam questions where they try to trick you (or basically don't give you enough info to even decide). But it's light years harder because of the sheer amount of material you're expected to know.

Clinical rotations are however a walk in the park if you grasp the first 2 years and worked as a nurse in a hospital.
I finally figured out my problem nursing. I was studying too much. I pulled off all As at the end. I realized in nursing school there is a happy medium. If you study too little or too much it hurts you. You had to study just enough to pick the right answer. I enjoyed learning medical stuff, so Id read my textbook, then pull out my Grey's anatomy, then look up questions I had about the material online (because the instructors never knew. Sometimes I even asked my "little brother" in the program who had been an LPN for 10 years). Knowing too much info made it easier to talk yourself into wrong answers. Towards the end I studied maybe 3 hours a week.

Reactions: 1 user
I finally figured out my problem nursing. I was studying too much. I pulled off all As at the end. I realized in nursing school there is a happy medium. If you study too little or too much it hurts you. You had to study just enough to pick the right answer. I enjoyed learning medical stuff, so Id read my textbook, then pull out my Grey's anatomy, then look up questions I had about the material online (because the instructors never knew. Sometimes I even asked my "little brother" in the program who had been an LPN for 10 years). Knowing too much info made it easier to talk yourself into wrong answers. Towards the end I studied maybe 3 hours a week.

Guess it depends on the nursing program honestly because I lived in the library. Literally slept in a sleeping bag in the stacks at UMiami during finals weeks (and I lived on campus). I had all A's and a few 100s on HESI exams though so I worked hard for it.

The NCLEX is a gigantic joke compared to the MCAT --- which is on steroids.

But medical school... medical school is an entirely different beast. You are forced to study hours on end because there's no way to take in all the info you're expected to know in just a few hours after class (at least not for a perfectionist). The USMLE exams alone I spent 12-16 hours studying daily with 1 day off a week.

So to me, there's no comparison. They're just different. But like I said - doable.

For any RNs turned Med students- So I can get a mental picture of the workload, what is it like compared to nursing? I feel like not having to do clinical and practicum simultaneously will be an improvement. It stressed me being given information, having 2 12 hour clinical days with preclinicals, and then being tested the next day.
I was a RT student, but found the material about four times or more difficult than respiratory school.

Guess it depends on the nursing program honestly because I lived in the library. Literally slept in a sleeping bag in the stacks at UMiami during finals weeks (and I lived on campus). I had all A's and a few 100s on HESI exams though so I worked hard for it.

The NCLEX is a gigantic joke compared to the MCAT --- which is on steroids.

But medical school... medical school is an entirely different beast. You are forced to study hours on end because there's no way to take in all the info you're expected to know in just a few hours after class (at least not for a perfectionist). The USMLE exams alone I spent 12-16 hours studying daily with 1 day off a week.

So to me, there's no comparison. They're just different. But like I said - doable.
That excites me. I am a total nerd and love knowing the intricate details of things. For instance, I am a long distance marksman, and have BOOKS of handloading recipes I have developed and love figuring out the exact amount of gunpowder for a certain brand for a specific rifling twist rate and bullet weight. I am also a homebrewer and keep recipes of my brews, and track my nutrients and workout routines for powerlifting. I think this is why I'm so dissatisfied with nursing. You just do things and there is no experimentation. I mean even titration in the ICU is dissatisfying for me. I'm bored, frankly put.

And yes, the NCLEX is a joke. I finished it in 45 minutes and it cut off at 75 questions. I thought I had failed because "there's no way I did THAT good". I was mad at myself for a week until I realized I had actually passed.

Last edited:
That excites me. I am a total nerd and love knowing the intricate details of things. For instance, I am a long distance marksman, and have BOOKS of handloading recipes I have developed and love figuring out the exact amount of gunpowder for a certain brand for a specific rifling twist rate and bullet weight. I am also a homebrewer and keep recipes of my brews, and track my nutrients and workout routines for powerlifting. I think this is why I'm so dissatisfied with nursing. You just do things and there is no experimentation. I mean even titration in the ICU is dissatisfying for me. I'm bored, frankly put.

Hope you’re not disappointed with medicine. A lot of it is just doing stuff without too much experimenting. In fact, for the most part you shouldn’t be just experimenting on your patients.

And yes, the MCAT is a joke. I finished it in 45 minutes and it cut off at 75 questions. I thought I had failed because "there's no way I did THAT good". I was mad at myself for a week until I realized I had actually passed.

Same thing happened to my wife (assuming you meant NCLEX).

Last edited:
And yes, the MCAT is a joke. I finished it in 45 minutes and it cut off at 75 questions. I thought I had failed because "there's no way I did THAT good". I was mad at myself for a week until I realized I had actually passed.

I think you meant NCLEX but yes, mine shut off at 75 as well - it's a pretty well known thing though that no one fails if it shuts off at 75... yet we all sit around and dwell about it thinking we failed anyway.

After awhile it gets sort of tedious and annoying learning minutiae. The appeal wears off in basic sciences...at least for me it did. It came back during clinical sciences though.

Yeah i meant NCLEX lol. MCAT is definitely not a joke, I'm sure. But yes, all i ever heard about was how hard it was to get into nursing school and then the NCLEX. I took the TEAS entrance exam and made a 93% on it. Says state and national average is a 65%. It wasn't a knowledge test, but a time management exam. It gave you really complex multi step problems, and easy problems and allowed you to skip. For whatever reason, most people don't skip, and go straight through it and end up missing all of the last questions. I simply skipped any that i couldn't immediately answer, and continually kept shuffling through them giving more time for the longer ones. The intimidating questions ended up being 2-3 in number and I had 20 minutes or so left to figure them out. Made it much less stressful. Didn't miss a single math question on the test. So many of my classmates were so grateful to be there, saying "Wow! Ive applied 3 times and finally got in!" and I was thinking "Wow i chose nursing because I thought it'd be a challenge... I got a callback on the very first day. This was too easy."

And we actually had someone fail at 75. I think she must have just not known a damned thing. I missed plenty of questions and still had it cut off at 75. Thats why i thought i failed. I knew i hadnt scored perfectly.

Hope you’re not disappointed with medicine. A lot of it is just doing stuff without too much experimenting. In fact, for the most part you shouldn’t be just experimenting on your patients.

Same thing happened to my wife.
Not "experimenting" per se, but practicing medicine. Choosing what medication to give in a certain instance. I really enjoy calling up a physician and either requesting a different medication or a new medication for something, and having them say "You know what, thats a good idea. Lets do that." Which happens fairly often. I notice at times for instance I'll have a patient that's on the high end of pulse range, yet he gets a low dose of metoprolol and lots of labetalol or hydralazine either scheduled or PRN, and when I suggest that we simply up his 12.5 mg metoprolol to a 25mg and see what happens, I'm met with approval.

I know this is child's play but it still makes me feel good that I impacted my patient's care, and I can only imagine how I'll feel when I'm at the helm.

And we actually had someone fail at 75. I think she must have just not known a damned thing. I missed plenty of questions and still had it cut off at 75. Thats why i thought i failed. I knew i hadnt scored perfectly.

Not trying to be a buzz kill but my wife failed at 75. Bad test anxiety was the culprit, not lack of knowledge. She later passed.

Mine cut off at 75 as well.

Ah
Not trying to be a buzz kill but my wife failed at 75. Bad test anxiety was the culprit, not lack of knowledge. She later passed.

Mine cut off at 75 as well.
I can relate to that. Anxiety is why I took it in 45 minutes. I didn't sleep the night before and when I got in there I found myself just anxiously clicking at answers. I'm never a nervous test taker but they drummed it up so much.

I overstudied for the NCLEX. By a WIDE margin.

I probably spent more time studying for it than the MCAT.

I stopped at 75 in the least amount of time I’ve ever heard of. At first I was all proud, but looking back... what an idiot. I should have spent less time on that and more time enjoying the location i was at. I STUDIED ON THE BEACH. I COULD HAVE BEEN STUDYING.... OTHER THINGS.

Hindsight is 20/20

Reactions: 3 users
I overstudied for the NCLEX. By a WIDE margin.

I probably spent more time studying for it than the MCAT.

I stopped at 75 in the least amount of time I’ve ever heard of. At first I was all proud, but looking back... what an idiot. I should have spent less time on that and more time enjoying the location i was at. I STUDIED ON THE BEACH. I COULD HAVE BEEN STUDYING.... OTHER THINGS.

Hindsight is 20/20

I can relate to this for sure...
I remember finishing the NCLEX in some quick absurd amount of time and being like wait I'm done...hold on a minute why did I just study my brains out?

After the MCAT, Step 1, and Step 2 CK I'd take the NCLEX a million times over any day over multiple 9 hour exams. Only 2 more to go for me... Step 3 and ABIM. ☹

I felt really good coming out of the NCLEX. Also cut off at 75 for me... several of my other classmates for whom it cut off at 75 questions freaked out, but I'd say my last 20 or so questions were mostly select all that apply BS about specific things related to management of varying congenital heart diseases in peds. I just remember thinking that there was no way I was doing poorly when the NCLEX is supposed to ensure a minimum level of competency for generalist practice and they were hitting me hard on a peds subspecialty. I had a brief moment of freak out before I clicked whatever the button was to go to the next question after I finished questions 75 - "What if it doesn't cut off right now?!?!?!" - but it did, so life was good.

I thought nursing school was a breeze, so I wouldn't compare that. My bio degree was way harder - I do occasionally wonder how much harder med school could possibly be than taking multiple graduate level bios while working a full time job. All the docs are like, "It was SOOO much HARDER than undergrad," but then when I asked most of them what they did during undergrad, they didn't have jobs or only did some piddly student job working 10-15 hours per week, so I'm taking their opinions with a grain of salt.

If they're comparing med school with no job to undergrad with no job, of course med school is more demanding. If med school is just a full time job in and of itself, maybe I'll have more free time in med school than I did in full time undergrad with graduate courses plus a full time job, but we'll see. I'm going to remain hopeful until I have a reason to think otherwise.
I agree. It'll be BUSY, and take work, but hard is subjective. I've always been a huge nerd, so studying books is what I do. I think I'll find this less hard than many of the other things in life that I've done, like combat in Iraq, or break up domestic disputes (several where I got injured pretty good), or just going 22 days in a row as an armorer getting only 4 hours of noncondecutive sleep per night. (I was the only armorer because my chain of command didn't replace the ETSing and PCSing fellow armorers so they had no choice. Our cops needed weapons for patrol, and I had to ensure the weapons were all cleaned, and all 3 million dollars worth of weapons and BII were maintained to standard. I was hallucinating and barely coherent towards the end, when a SGT finally came in and took over.) Im just now, 6 years later getting to the point where I can sleep for 6 hours straight without waking up in a dead panic.

Last edited:
I agree. It'll be BUSY, and take work, but hard is subjective. I've always been a huge nerd, so studying books is what I do. I think I'll find this less hard than many of the other things in life that I've done, like combat in Iraq, or break up domestic disputes (several where I got injured pretty good), or just going 22 days in a row as an armorer getting only 4 hours of sleep per night. (I was the only armorer because my chain of command didn't replace the ETSing and PCSing fellow armorers so they had no choice. Our cops needed weapons for patrol, and I had to ensure the weapons were all cleaned, and all 3 million dollars worth of weapons and BII were maintained to standard. I was hallucinating and barely coherent towards the end, when a SGT finally came in and took over.) Im just now, 6 years later getting to the point where I can sleep for 6 hours straight without waking up in a dead panic.

Dood, I relate to the armorer pain. I was so happy to give that up.