Worried about getting in (need advice)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CKERAMA

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I wanted to post on the medical student forum to get advice from those who have already made it through the application process.

I am a Biological Sciences Major at Clemson University with a Minor in Psychology.

As of right now my grades from freshman year are really pulling me down. I lost a close friend in a car accident and my girlfriend and I of 3 years broke up. Safe to say I was in a dark place and school was not my priority. After that summer I really took the time to reevaluate my choices and refocus on school. My GPA's are as follows from freshman year until my second semester sophomore year

2.7, 3.2, 3.65, 3.82.

As you can see as my classes have gotten harder my grades have gone up substantially. I currently sit at a 3.44 when you factor in my number of institution credits vs transfer credits etc etc. This is my first semester junior year and by far my hardest academically. I am sitting fairly close to either making a 3.75 or a 3.56 depending on whether or not I make an A on my physics final later today.

Obviously I know my GPA is not where it needs to be, I am also set to graduate a semester early. Realistically, if I stick to this timeline and not pick up another minor/major I am going to graduate with between a 3.5 and 3.6

Moving Forward: What should be my plan to optimize my medical school application? I was thinking about either picking up another minor, picking up a second major (if so in what?), or completing a master's program, or just go ahead and graduate, try to get a job in something medical related (scribing, CDC, a lab) for a year or two and then reapplying.

My Extracurriculars: I feel as though this is one field I am moderately strong in. I shadowed my freshman year summer at a fertility institute. Sophomore summer I went on a medical mission trip to Panama where I worked in clinics both in the jungle and slums for 3 weeks. I am currently the lead undergraduate researcher on a fairly exciting autism project here at Clemson. I lead a team of 3-4 undergrads and I work directly with the Dr. in charge of the study. Furthermore, I am in a fraternity here where I have served a term as both Alumni Relations Chair, and another as Risk manager. I am no stranger to a leadership roles and I hope this may help me stand out a little bit. I also have gotten to know several doctors and professors on a personal level and can get about 3-5 really strong recommendation letters.

I plan on taking the MCAT in March

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Post in the premed forum for help. Check out what are my chances: WAMC.

Post in the premed forum for help. Check out what are my chances: WAMC.
Thanks, I'm new to the forum so I am still trying to navigate this whole thing. I'll check it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Status
Not open for further replies.