worried about having to drop classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctor201

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are 3 weeks left till finals and I am going to have to drop 4 classes due to an emergency appendix rupture and infection since it burst but I am scared about what med schools will think. Will they view it negatively even though I am sick?

Members don't see this ad.

Can't you get your exams deferred. This is clearly a valid medical reason for one.

Sounds like a great PS topic to me. How you didnt let this one bump throw you off track of your goals.

From those I've spoken with, as long as you have a great reason, and you can later demonstrate that you actually do have the abilities and capabilities. You'll be fine.

How badly do you think you'll do?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you go to the dean, you can get your finals deferred.

I talked to the professors of these classes and they said no.

Are you sure about that? Talk to the dean, I can almost guarantee you they will work something out, without you being penalized (you can't control an emergency medical procedure).

There are 3 weeks left till finals and I am going to have to drop 4 classes due to an emergency appendix rupture and infection since it burst but I am scared about what med schools will think. Will they view it negatively even though I am sick?

First of all, your health should be your top concern. Get healthy. :)

Why drop at this point? Ask the appropriate administrators about taking an "I" (incomplete) until you get back on your feet.

Good luck.:luck:

Ironic. As professors teaching pre-med classes, one would think physical health would be a concern that's not just theoretical.

Go to the Dean. Trust me, I was in a similar position for a course in undergrad and the Deans OWNED it. Good luck and get well.

Ironic. As professors teaching pre-med classes, one would think physical health would be a concern that's not just theoretical.

Go to the Dean. Trust me, I was in a similar position for a course in undergrad and the Deans OWNED it. Good luck and get well.
Lol, wut? They aren't teaching pre-med classes, they're teaching science classes which happen to coincide with the prerequisites for med school. The reason I laughed is because from what I see, professors from these classes generally HATE pre-meds, because the majority are a bunch of grade-****** with no legitimate passion for the field.

Lol, wut? They aren't teaching pre-med classes, they're teaching science classes which happen to coincide with the prerequisites for med school. The reason I laughed is because from what I see, professors from these classes generally HATE pre-meds, because the majority are a bunch of grade-****** with no legitimate passion for the field.

Why does it seem everyone hates pre-meds? ER's hate pre-meds "they are just lazy box checkers" Professors hate pre-meds "Grades ******", many labs hate pre-meds "they just wanna check the box and have no passion for research". The list of people who hates pre-meds seems to roll on and on. I kinda hope this doesn't transfer over to medical school students.

Why does it seem everyone hates pre-meds? ER's hate pre-meds "they are just lazy box checkers" Professors hate pre-meds "Grades ******", many labs hate pre-meds "they just wanna check the box and have no passion for research". The list of people who hates pre-meds seems to roll on and on. I kinda hope this doesn't transfer over to medical school students.

The harder it is to get into med school, the more often you see box-checking activity. That's probably the source of the vitriol.

That's what pre-med is. No one would be taking their subjects were it not required by pre-med standards. Guaranteed.

Can't you get your exams deferred. This is clearly a valid medical reason for one.

This would definitely qualify. Usually what will happen is you will get an incomplete in the course and you will have to finish your remaining exams within an agreed upon time limit.

That's what pre-med is. No one would be taking their subjects were it not required by pre-med standards. Guaranteed.
That's exactly my point. Because you're such typical premed you think the only reason other premeds take the subject is because they have to, not because they want to; if that were the case, some people (who know they don't have to) major in things like Biology, Chemistry, Physics etc. wouldn't do so.

Eh rub some dirt on it champ and get back in there lol

You are so lucky! You will have such a good story for your personal statement. I wish my appendix ruptured!!!

Just kidding, man. I hope you feel better and try to get your exams deferred. Talk to the dean.

http://md-maybe.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

That's rough. Go above them.

A couple years ago, conveniently before finals, I had a crazy migraine.
It was like I was hit with a flashbang grenade then the entire right side of my body went completely numb and I couldn't move it at all. I couldn't understand anything being said, could barley speak, couldn't remember how to use a phone, or info like my birthday. But I was fine the next day. I emailed my professors and they all gave me extra time for everything.