• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
Jul 30, 2017
Hello, all!

I am slightly worried about my extracurriculars, volunteering, etc. I am a sophomore and I know it is prime time to be doing them, so I was wondering if anyone could give their thoughts on my list of what I am actively doing.

--Residential College/Dorm Leadership Committee

--Chemistry Honor Society (Member, not in leadership as of now)

--Supplemental Instructor (Our school's nonremedial way of group tutoring)

--Founder/President of a Prehealth Organization

--Welcome Week/Orientation Week Leader

--"Family Group" Leader (Our school's way during COVID-19 to help freshmen plug into campus)

Other:

--Thesis (I have an Honors Thesis due my senior year. Whether it is lab-based or more library-based is TBD)

Volunteering has been hard because of COVID-19. My plan for volunteering is to volunteer at our city's health center focused on treating underserved patients. Non-medical volunteering would be something like tutoring for primary/secondary students and maybe a soup kitchen position. Again, COVID-19 makes this more difficult.

Besides shadowing, any ideas on direct patient interaction? I understand shadowing isn't a direct patient interaction, but any thoughts on other things besides shadowing?

Is there anything else I am missing on the non-GPA and MCAT side?

Thank you!

candbgirl

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
Get off campus and out of your comfort zone. When you are a physician you will be dealing with lots of people unlike you.
You need around 50 hours of shadowing , including a good amount with a primary care doc.
You need at least 200 hours of clinical experience. Can be paid or volunteer but it must have direct patient contact. I know it’s tough but keep looking. Eventually things will hopefully open up and you’ll find some clinical gigs. You could even look into getting a job as a nursing assistant. You are a sophomore so you have some time to find a place.
You also need at least 200 hours of nonclinical volunteering to the unserved/underserved in the community. Volunteering at a soup kitchen is great. As is working at a homeless shelter, visiting vets in a VA home, coaching underprivileged kids in a team sport, helping at a camp for disabled kids or underprivileged kids. Something that helps people less fortunate than yourself.
Do what you love and what will make you stand out. Do what you have a passion for and what you will be able to talk about with that passion on applications and in interviews. Just a FYI, tutoring won’t help you stand out and there is a special area on the application for this anyway. Just about everyone has this listed as an activity.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.