Worried about life in medicine..

amy25799

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been with my pre-med boyfriend for 3 years. He's 22 and I'm 25 and we've been living together for about a year which has been great. He's done with undergrad and applies for med school this June. He did very well on the MCAT (>95% percentile) and has a decent gpa (~3.5). I have no doubts he'll get into a medical school. I am so proud of my SO for making it this far in the pre-med journey and support his MD endeavors.

I'm a couple years out of college and am working my dream job. SO top choice for med school is in the same city we currently live (it's the only one here), however, it is a top school and of course very competitive. Ideally for both of us, he gets into said school and I get to remain at my dream job. Friends and family would also be nearby which would be great support when SO will be so busy with med school.

Well we all know things don't always workout the way we want, especially when it comes to something as competitive as medical school. Now that it's the new year and SO will be starting med school 'next year' I am very anxious and nervous. If he doesn't get into the school here I am worried how things will turn out. There are <10 cities in the US where I can remain in my current industry. SO will be applying to schools in those cities, but I am most worried if he doesn't get into one of those schools either.

I absolutely love him and could never imagine not choosing him over my job. I would be miserable if broke up and he moved away and I truly feel I would regret such decision. On the other side, it would be hard to leave my job, my industry, and friends to move. Not concerned with moving somewhere new as I am concerned with moving somewhere new with a med student partner who will be extremely busy.

The worrying is really getting to me and nearly brings me to tears daily. One hand I try to not let it bother me until SO starts applying and schools are narrowed down, on the other I keep overthinking all these options and what it would be like.

Regardless of location, there's also bigger matters that I can't help but obsess over. Marriage, when is there time for a med student to get married let alone plan a wedding? Children, during or after? Residency, possibly moving again? Asking these all rhetorically, but you get the idea.

I don't expect anyone to have answers, but any support/motivation/stories with positive outcomes would be appreciated.

Side note:
If we do end up somewhere without my preferred industry I've thought about starting my MBA. Although finally being debt free from undergrad it would be a lot to finance my tuition plus living costs on loans (thankfully SO has no debt from undergrad and will not need to take out many loans for med school which will relieves most of the financial stress relating to med school). Has anyone had SO in med school while also pursuing their own advanced degree?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: