worried about OB/GYN grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missylee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm planning on doing Ob/gyn...my clinicals went great and I think my evaluations will be excellent but on the NMBE final I did avg. which was below avg for my group. I usually do really well on shelf exams (90s) so I wasn't worried about this one and I studied hard and I actually felt really good about it. Anyway, there's no way I'm going to get an Honors. I'm hoping it'll work out to a HP at best.

My question is, how does this fair as an applicant? I've had H and HP in 1st 2 years, and mostly HP during clinicals. Great evaluations all along. Has anyone been in this kind of position before? I just want to get into a really good program...like vanderbilt or northwestern...and I'm wondering whether I'm just dreaming. Thanks for your replies in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

missylee said:
So I'm planning on doing Ob/gyn...my clinicals went great and I think my evaluations will be excellent but on the NMBE final I did avg. (70) which was below avg for my group. I usually do really well on shelf exams (90s) so I wasn't worried about this one and I studied hard and I actually felt really good about it. Anyway, there's no way I'm going to get an Honors. I'm hoping it'll work out to a HP at best.

My question is, how does this fair as an applicant? I've had H and HP in 1st 2 years, and mostly HP during clinicals. 240 on step 1. Great evaluations all along. Has anyone been in this kind of position before? I just want to get into a really good program...like vanderbilt or northwestern...and I'm wondering whether I'm just dreaming. Thanks for your replies in advance!!

Honestly, I wouldn't worry to much about it, plenty of people get into perfectly good residencies without getting A's in that specialty's rotation. First of all, programs don't get to see your shelf scores. Second, your Step I score is about 25 - 30 points higher than the average OBGYN applicant. Finally, before setting your heart on particular programs because you've heard the University has a good rep, ask around about the OBGYN dept at that school. You'll be suprised (at least I was) name does not always equal substance.

Hope that helps.

Really, even if you "only pass" your ob clerkship, your stats still sound plenty competetive. Instead of worrying about one grade, focus on the other pieces of your application, such as research (every single university-based program asked me about this) and letters (try to get one from somebody who's well-known). Also, it sounds like you are interested in a few programs already. Set up away rotations with them as early as possible! This will let your programs get to know you. It will also get you an interview in most cases. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the responses and would only caution against focusing too much on particular programs before you've had a chance to see them. The suggestion to get to these places to see them first hand is a good one. I'm not commenting on the particular programs you mentioned, but rather programs in general. I found that after interviewing all over the place this past winter the list of programs that I like has changed radically, and my final selections are not even close to the order that I would have predicted a few months ago.

Also, during interviews, grades were the last thing mentioned, if at all. My board score never came up once during an interview (although I suppose it had already been considered when allocating interviews). Everyone focused on weird or unusual parts of my app, so if I were you, I'd be trying to enhance my marketability by having some focus of interest - extracurricular activity, research, or whatever - something besides the usual focus of 3rd year, exams and grades.

I agree with the above posters.... not getting "Honors" or and "A" in your core ObGyn clerkship is not the end of your quest for the perfect residency! I know other applicants who did not receive the top grade in their core clerkship and did very well with interviews.

My suggestion is to sign up for an elective or sub-I in ObGyn early in your 4th year and get an awesome grade! It is also a good opportunity to get to know faculty better and land a great letter of rec. Also, in my experience, it is often easier to get a good grade on an elective b/c 1) there is no pesky shelf exam and 2) you are showing the faculty this is your field of interest and they want to support you in your pursuits! (IMO anyway)

missylee said:
So I'm planning on doing Ob/gyn...my clinicals went great and I think my evaluations will be excellent but on the NMBE final I did avg. (70) which was below avg for my group.

Just wanted to say, though I haven't gotten my score back yet, that was a weird exam. I also studied a lot but walked out of the exam not knowing what to think. I had several very vague questions involving "thin" discharge and itching or irritation, no microscopic exam, no KOH, no whiff, no description of the vulva, etc. Both BV and Trich in the answer choices, of course. There were questions about weird stuff, inlcuding things that really were in the peds domain and that weren't covered much in my reading--and I did a lot of reading from good sources.

Anyway, I'm probably going to be feeling your pain when I get my scores back...

But really, I wouldn't worry about it at all. You sound like you are in good shape. Best of luck.

Thanks for the great advice! So today I got my grade....and I got a Pass. And like you guys said, it's not the end of the world and I'm sure I'll match some place where I'll be happy. I'm going to talk to the course director, though, so I know what to say during my interviews when they ask. :) Man, I got more love from my Surgery attendings.

Anyway, taking all this great advice, I'm starting a research project this week and I'm really looking forward to it.

Third year is just crazy.

missylee said:
Thanks for the great advice! So today I got my grade....and I got a Pass. And like you guys said, it's not the end of the world and I'm sure I'll match some place where I'll be happy. The only thing is that the course director (who also evaluated me) knows I want to do OB/GYN, so you would think he'd be a little encouraging for the very few of us that want to go into it. My advisor (who is the residency program director) warned me about the course director's weird grading system and says she doesn't put any stock in it because it makes no sense. I'm going to talk to him, though, so I know what to say during my interviews when they ask. :) Man, I got more love from my Surgery attendings.

Anyway, taking all this great advice, I'm starting a research project on breast cancer this week and I'm really looking forward to it.

Third year is just crazy.

They won't ask unless you have a really bad comment attached to it, and even then they probably won't ask...so I wouldn't spend much time coming up with your defense.

Stephanieukmed said:
They won't ask unless you have a really bad comment attached to it, and even then they probably won't ask...so I wouldn't spend much time coming up with your defense.
Disagree. I would plan on asking the attd why you received a pass and express your interest and ask about 4th year possibilities. Many programs will look at your OB/Gyn grade and comments made. If your attd knows OB is your choice they may be able to write comments that will help or offer suggestions for your 4th year.

Diane L. Evans said:
Disagree. I would plan on asking the attd why you received a pass and express your interest and ask about 4th year possibilities. Many programs will look at your OB/Gyn grade and comments made. If your attd knows OB is your choice they may be able to write comments that will help or offer suggestions for your 4th year.

I disagree with this, actually, based on experience. I did OB/GYN a few months ago and got a "Pass", which was very upsetting because I put 100% into it and worked very hard. I did it away from my school, so my school's clerkship director suggested I e-mail the director at the clerkship location and ask what went wrong. I did that and they performed a review of my file and wrote me back. Now, my situation was somewhat different because I did well on the shelf which was high enough for 'Honors' at my school, so it was apparently the evals holding me back (ratings). They had submitted all positive comments so I thought maybe it was an accident. Well, after they reviewed my file, the clerkship director wrote me back and said they had decided that not only did I fully deserve the 'Pass' because I was unenthusiastic and did not participate, they had decided in retrospect that I was immature and unprofessional based on new allegations from residents that had come to light during the review.

That wouldn't be so bad (since my comments are already set in stone) but she cc'ed my school's course director when she wrote me back. So now I am in the awkward position of being much worse off, at least reputation-wise, after contesting the grade. It so wasn't worth it - I have H/HP in the rest of my rotations and a fabulous CV, no one is going to care about this 'Pass' I hope.