Worried about one grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dandelion123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my first semester I got a C in gen chem (mostly because I was very unhappy where I was). I transferred to a different school after that semester. After two years, I have a 3.97 gpa at my new school. I have completed the rest of the chem requirement with A's in each class. Will that C negatively affect my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

So my first semester I got a C in gen chem (mostly because I was very unhappy where I was). I transferred to a different school after that semester. After two years, I have a 3.97 gpa at my new school. I have completed the rest of the chem requirement with A's in each class. Will that C negatively affect my chances?

I think the answer to this question is simple. The C is not going to help you. It is going to affect your chances negatively. That being said, I don't think you should be worrying about it too much. It's one poor grade and as long as you did well on the second semester of Chemistry you will have shown med-schools that you can handle the material.

One C your first semester? 3.97 GPA? I'll take that C off your hands if you give me your GPA.

Edit: (Sorry, trailed off...) Considering you have As in the rest of your chemistry, it should be apparent to adcoms that you have improved. Your GPA certainly shows that.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

honestly..
if you have a 3.97 gpa
medical schools wont give a damn about you having made a small insignificant mistake in getting a C in general chem, especially since most schools put very little weight upon your freshman year grades
so yah.. as long as you get a good mcat
your c wont even be a problem

in fact the only time most medical schools would care is if you have more then 5 c's