Worried about research for general surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadScientist95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I was supposed to do research this summer, however, the labs at my school still aren't open due to COVID. I am not sure if they will open at all this summer and am worried about not being able to do any research if they don't. It was my understanding that the summer between your M1 and M2 years was really the only opportunity you had during medical school to get some research under your belt. I am really interested in general surgery. How bad will not having research hurt my chances of obtaining a residency spot? I do not plan on being super picky with residency in the future (there a few community places that I would really like to go to near my home town, however, if it came down to it I would be happy to get in somewhere). Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

This summer is definitely not the only opportunity for research. I would try and contact some local attendings/residents and see if you can get involved in chart reviews. Those usually take less time commitment and can be done throughout the year. I just got involved in a similar opportunity and will basically be doing the project during the year. Also try and do case reports during your surgery rotation 3rd year.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly you don't need to worry about research for GS, until you get a step score north of 235.

For now, start doing board prep.

OP You can apply for the NIH MRSP program. It's a year long research program that takes place at NIH in Bethesda, MD. You can do it after 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or even after 4th year. I would check in more detail about after fourth year, but definitely possible to do after 1st, 2nd and 3rd year. You can pretty much research in anything you want as long as you find a mentor working on research that interests you. And DO students have been accepted the past two years I believe.

Here is the link:

Reactions: 1 user