Worried about the match for LMU-DCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Indianarn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I saw the data for the AOA match this year. I will be honest. I really don't fully understand it. But I am a little worried about it. According to the data, there was a 52% match. So what does that mean? What happens to the rest of 48%. What can one do to be a part of the 52% and avoid 48%. All answers are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Most of those who did not match AOA matched AGCME.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I saw the data for the AOA match this year. I will be honest. I really don't fully understand it. But I am a little worried about it. According to the data, there was a 52% match. So what does that mean? What happens to the rest of 48%. What can one do to be a part of the 52% and avoid 48%. All answers are appreciated.

This was discussed in another thread but I will keep the story short: If you did not participate in the AOA match, you will be considered "unmatched." That being said, many of these unmatched will end up matching in ACGME. Reason why many people skip the AOA match is that once you match AOA, you are automatically withdrawn from the ACGME match.

The data is written strangely.

At lmu-dcom, 69 students matched and 19 didn't match. 69/(69+19) = 78%

Really that seems to be a very small number of total applicants. The class is bigger than that.

Honestly, I'm not sure where these numbers or the OP's numbers are coming from. According to https://www.natmatch.com/aoairp/stats/2014sklstats.html LMU matched at 39.9% (69/[154+19]). 85 people (or 49.1%) did not participate in the AOA match and probably going ACGME. That leaves 19 people (11%) that did not match AOA. Now, this could be because these individuals were aiming for super competitive specialties in the AOA, and then falling back on a less competitive specialty in the MD match if they did not match AOA. Or, they were shooting for a specific program within their desired specialty in the AOA and maybe only ranking one program. If they failed to match, perhaps these people had other programs within the same specialty in the MD match that they ranked behind their top AOA programs. Finally, I'm sure there were a couple of individuals going only AOA, but they failed to match that would make up a certain percentage of the unmatched participates. Unfortunately, there is no breakdown of these scenarios.

I'm thinking LMU's close proximity to ETSU and UT make the ACGME match that much more enticing.

Reactions: 1 user
Really that seems to be a very small number of total applicants. The class is bigger than that.

People who participate exclusively in the ACGME match would not be in that number, they would be non-participants. In addition, of those 19 that did not match, most are probably also participating in the ACGME match. The overall match stats for DO programs tends to be in the area of 85-90%, but unfortunately no real compiled stats for both exist.

To use super vague numbers, lets look at overalls:

41% of DOs matched AOA/Military in 2013. Its assumed that pretty much everyone else (59%) applied through to the ACGME match. The ACGME match rate for PGY-1 osteopathic applicants was 75.4% in 2013. That means that of the remaining 59%, 44.5% matched and the remaining 14.5% failed to match. Now that makes a total of 85.5% of DOs matched AOA/Military or ACGME programs.

Unfortunately, there is no real way to know how many of that remaining 14.5% got GME via the AOA scramble, and how many were successfully SOAPed. That said, it seems safe to say that the majority of DOs (mid-high 90-something%) end up at some GME. With the new COCA regulations in June 2013, all DO schools will have to demonstrate that >98% of their graduates were successfully placed in GME across 3 years, so at very least, LMU-DCOM will have to have >98% of their graduates placed in GMEs.

Last edited:
People who participate exclusively in the ACGME match would not be in that number, they would be non-participants. In addition, of those 19 that did not match, most are probably also participating in the ACGME match. The overall match stats for DO programs tends to be in the area of 85-90%, but unfortunately no real compiled stats for both exist.

To use super vague numbers, lets look at overalls:

41% of DOs matched AOA/Military in 2013. Its assumed that pretty much everyone else (59%) applied through to the ACGME match. The ACGME match rate for PGY-1 osteopathic applicants was 75.4% in 2013. That means that of the remaining 59%, 44.5% matched and the remaining 14.5% failed to match. Now that makes a total of 85.5% of DOs matched AOA/Military or ACGME programs.

Unfortunately, there is no real way to know how many of that remaining 14.5% got GME via the AOA scramble, and how many were successfully SOAPed. That said, it seems safe to say that the majority of DOs (mid-high 90-something%) end up at some GME. With the new COCA regulations in June 2013, all DO schools will have to demonstrate that >98% of their graduates were successfully placed in GME across 3 years, so at very least, LMU-DCOM will have to have >98% of their graduates placed in GMEs.

Thanks for explaining it in detail. In other words, I dont need to worry about it. As long as I have worked hard and done what I am suppose to do I will get my residency.

Thanks for explaining it in detail. In other words, I dont need to worry about it. As long as I have worked hard and done what I am suppose to do I will get my residency.

Just make sure you are not at the bottom 5-10% of your class (or all DOs for that matter). Even if you are, you'll just have to set the bar lower, but in most cases you'll be fine/get a job somewhere.

Even for the people that can ONLY get into a TRI (pretty much anyone that passes their boards could get one of these somewhere), they can still get licensed and open shop in 37 states or so with only 1 year of GME. And that's really only if they don't end up doing something to get them into a full residency in that year or so.

At this point though, just work hard and do as well on Level 1/Step 1 as you can, that's my plan.

Reactions: 1 user
Even for the people that can ONLY get into a TRI (pretty much anyone that passes their boards could get one of these somewhere), they can still get licensed and open shop in 37 states or so with only 1 year of GME. And that's really only if they don't end up doing something to get them into a full residency in that year or so.

Not even being BE you aren't going to be able to "set up shop" in 37 states, regardless what the law says. About the only place you'll be practicing medicine with 1 year of GME is the military

Not even being BE you aren't going to be able to "set up shop" in 37 states, regardless what the law says. About the only place you'll be practicing medicine with 1 year of GME is the military

You can still practice medicine legally as a physician. Whether its easy to do, desirable, whether you'll be restricted, etc. does not change whether or not you can do it. I know a few people who have done just that. I wouldn't recommend it, and you'll probably never be able to work in a big hospital, but at least its an option for someone with a US medical degree that passes boards but is at the bottom of their class.

Last edited:
You can still practice medicine legally as a physician. Whether its easy to do, desirable, whether you'll be restricted, etc. does not change whether or not you can do it. I know a few people who have done just that. I wouldn't recommend it, and you'll probably never be able to work in a hospital, but at least its an option for someone with a US medical degree that passes boards but is at the bottom of their class.

This would be totally correct as long as they have the 1 year min. I know of some in rural hospitals covering the ER making in the 200s.

In case you're still worried, once our final match list comes out this year, I think you will be quite pleased.

Reactions: 1 users