worrying about getting in...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beccala33

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's my question... When I started school 10 years ago, I wasn't a great student. I had a few bad semesters that brought my GPA down considerably (I even got an F at one point.) I graduated with a computer science degree and a 2.92 GPA. Last year I decided to go to pharmacy school and I began taking my pre req's and I have gotten straight A's since then (I have taken 44 credits and I am a full time teacher.) I am not sure what I got on the PCAT but I think I actually did ok, I really studied hard for it. My GPA is a 3.09 (with the last 44 credits being A) and my science GPA is a 3.93. Do I have a shot at getting in? Does anyone else have any experience similar to mine?

Members don't see this ad.

beccala33 said:
Ok, here's my question... When I started school 10 years ago, I wasn't a great student. I had a few bad semesters that brought my GPA down considerably (I even got an F at one point.) I graduated with a computer science degree and a 2.92 GPA. Last year I decided to go to pharmacy school and I began taking my pre req's and I have gotten straight A's since then (I have taken 44 credits and I am a full time teacher.) I am not sure what I got on the PCAT but I think I actually did ok, I really studied hard for it. My GPA is a 3.09 (with the last 44 credits being A) and my science GPA is a 3.93. Do I have a shot at getting in? Does anyone else have any experience similar to mine?

I got in with a 3.02 (similar situation with GPA getting considerably better toward the end) and I also have a previous degree. Schools will look at your overall GPA; some will focus primarily on science or pre-reqs, which is great for you. It can most definitely be done! :luck:

I had a similar situation. I went to school for 2 years and didn't really put much effort into it (2.5 gpa) but I worked really hard and got it up to a 3.3 and smoked the PCAT's and I got in to every school I applied to. The best advice I can give anyone in the same boat is don't give up!!

Members don't see this ad :)
ndearwater said:
I got in with a 3.02 (similar situation with GPA getting considerably better toward the end) and I also have a previous degree. Schools will look at your overall GPA; some will focus primarily on science or pre-reqs, which is great for you. It can most definitely be done! :luck:
Thanks so much for your encouragement, you made me feel much better. I basically feel like my whole future rests on my PCAT scores, so I have been really stressed out for the last few weeks. Where did you apply? I know that you got into mercer (I also applied there.) How were your PCAT scores?

beccala33 said:
Thanks so much for your encouragement, you made me feel much better. I basically feel like my whole future rests on my PCAT scores, so I have been really stressed out for the last few weeks. Where did you apply? I know that you got into mercer (I also applied there.) How were your PCAT scores?

My PCAT was an 86 and I've also interviewed at Shenandoah and Nova. I've applied to several other schools (non-rolling) as well. Hang in there and make sure you have everything done before the PCAT scores roll in and you'll be ready for interview season in no time! Good luck! :luck:

ndearwater said:

Wow you give me hope! i am in the same situation. I graduated with a 2.9 and have some pre-reqs to do and hopefully i can pull a 3.0. :thumbup:

reaper_7 said:
I had a similar situation. I went to school for 2 years and didn't really put much effort into it (2.5 gpa) but I worked really hard and got it up to a 3.3 and smoked the PCAT's and I got in to every school I applied to. The best advice I can give anyone in the same boat is don't give up!!

Kudos on getting into SIUE.. I heard it was pretty intense. Hopefully I'll be there soon!

reaper_7 said:

Hey reaper, how's SIUE's program going? :)