Worst/Funniest Interview Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What was the end result? I honestly don't think you were doing that bad. Granted I wasn't there, but it seemed like you answered exactly what he asked haha...

Wait-listed. There were some other things I messed up on such as asking my interviewer what he thinks about something and then him asking me what that is (if that makes sense).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the end of one interview day, another interviewee I had not spoken to all day asked me out in front of the rest of the interviewees. And the admissions staff. It was mortifying. But at least I got in...?

What'd he/she say exactly? "I'd like to take you out on a date" or "lets hang out sometime?". Seems strange.

Reactions: 2 users
At the end of one interview day, another interviewee I had not spoken to all day asked me out in front of the rest of the interviewees. And the admissions staff. It was mortifying. But at least I got in...?

Omfggggg did y’all date?! That’s so weird

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Silly premeds you are supposed to ask out the hottest interviewer smh

Reactions: 12 users
Wait-listed. There were some other things I messed up on such as asking my interviewer what he thinks about something and then him asking me what that is (if that makes sense). It just sucks because I seriously loved this school so much. It felt like I belonged there. Like it was destiny, ya know?
It still could be!

Me talking about bees and what I like about them. Proceeds to show off some clinically related facts about honey.

Me: you shouldn’t feed infants honey cause they can choke.

Interviewer: no. It’s because of something else.

Interviewer couldn’t think of the term right away and continued to think for a 5 more seconds. Didn’t matter cause I was internally panicking.

Interviewer: BOTULISM. It’s botulism.

Me: Oh. Oh....

Beside this moment, I felt fine with the interview. hopefully my mess up didn’t ruin my chances.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
What'd he/she say exactly? "I'd like to take you out on a date" or "lets hang out sometime?". Seems strange.

He said "I really hope I'll be seeing you around" and then asked me to get a meal with him as we walked out the door. It was wild! Men really do be like that

Omfggggg did y’all date?! That’s so weird

We sure did not. My boyfriend thought it was hilarious ;)

Reactions: 8 users
Me talking about bees and what I like about them. Proceeds to show off some clinically related facts about honey.

Interviewer couldn’t think of the term right away and continued to think for a 5 more seconds. Didn’t matter cause I was internally panicking.

Beside this moment, I felt fine with the interview. hopefully my mess up didn’t ruin my chances.

LOL. I mean technically they COULD choke.

Reactions: 1 user
During my interview, I was asked about my hometown. In my head I was supposed to say, "it's a tiny city!", but somehow my brain swapped a letter and instead I said, "it's a tiny tity!".

I said titty to my interviewer... :smack: Overall a great interview though.

Reactions: 19 users
During my interview, I was asked about my hometown. In my head I was supposed to say, "it's a tiny city!", but somehow my brain swapped a letter and instead I said, "it's a tiny tity!".

One of my interviewers told me she was going to read House of God, and—knowing she’s also a believer—I recommended against it because it has explicit sex scenes lol. That visibly disturbed her lol.

But I think I got a pass because I told her I couldn’t finish the book due to the sex scenes. We had a great interview and I got in. :)

Members don't see this ad :)

My PI emailed me one Friday night and I didn't see it until Monday morning. I responded to her saying "Sorry! I had a busty weekend"

My team still brings it up all the time lol

Reactions: 6 users
My PI emailed me one Friday night and I didn't see it until Monday morning. I responded to her saying "Sorry! I had a busty weekend"

My team still brings it up all the time lol

My brother-in-law had the nickname "priapism" in paramedic school because he shouted to check for priapism during a scenario once lol.

Reactions: 4 users
Sorry for the derailing haha

My brother-in-law had the nickname "priapism" in paramedic school because he shouted to check for priapism during a scenario once lol.
in paramedic school, my instructor called checking for priapism a "pipe swipe." And one guy asked "well what if the pt has it but you cant see it?"

Instructor goes, "oh then he's having a really bad day"

Sorry for the derailing haha

in paramedic school, my instructor called checking for priapism a "pipe swipe." And one guy asked "well what if the pt has it but you cant see it?"

Instructor goes, "oh then he's having a really bad day"

Whenever we did personnel search training for the duty section, I would always pick some junior officer to be the person getting searched so I could make them feel super uncomfortable during the "pipe sweep" lol.

(Edit: not by doing any sort of harassment or anything--most people just feel weird getting their crotch swept in front of other people lol)

Hahaha amazing.
Don’t worry, it happens to everyone, even when you’re deep into your career.
I have a tendency to speak quickly when I am stressed or busy. Sometimes that leads to slurred or even completely wrong words. I’m usually careful, especially if I am talking to patients or families. But last week, I had a ton of cases and I was trying to get through talking to one family so I could go see another. Instead of saying I “explored” the leg (it was a wound), I said “exploded.”
You should have seen their faces.

• Haha
Reactions: 17 users
I have loved reading the replies to this thread! Great to know you're not alone...

I don't have anything particularly funny, but definitely some I looked back on and cringed:

Interviewer: Can you tell me about a time when you did something or said something and then later realized it was wrong?

Me: Well...*pauses*...there was this one time when I was shadowing patients and *explains the scenario* ....but looking back, I'm not sure I believe what I said was wrong, maybe just insensitive :smack:

Interviewer: Can you tell me about a time when you changed your mind about something you believed in?

Me: *stares blankly, thinking rapidly* Um...Well, I used to look down on people who chose not to go to college.......
My god, totally not the way to word that. I went on to explain how, with neither of my parents having degrees, I always saw a college education as the goal, but soon realized that there were many other ways to accrue knowledge and become successful. I still wish I would have thought of something else.

I also had an interviewer ask me my opinion on schools having quotas for URM/diversity. I floundered through an answer where I explained that while I acknowledged the importance of recruiting a diverse class, I didn't think quotas were a great way to do that. Totally unprepared for that question.

Man, still feel awful reflecting on some of these. Made myself out to be a really insensitive and snobby person.

Last edited:
I have loved reading the replies to this thread! Great to know you're not alone...

I don't have anything particularly funny, but definitely some I looked back on and cringed:

Interviewer: Can you tell me about a time when you did something or said something and then later realized it was wrong?

Me: Well...*pauses*...there was this one time when I was shadowing patients and *explains the scenario* ....but looking back, I'm not sure I believe what I said was wrong, maybe just insensitive :smack:

Interviewer: Can you tell me about a time when you changed your mind about something you believed in?

Me: *stares blankly, thinking rapidly* Um...Well, I used to look down on people who chose not to go to college.......
My god, totally not the way to word that. I went on to explain how, with neither of my parents having degrees, I always saw a college education as the goal, but soon realized that there were any other ways to accrue knowledge and become successful. I still wish I would have thought of something else.

I also had an interviewer ask me my opinion on schools having quotas for URM/diversity. I floundered through an answer where I explained that while I acknowledged the importance of recruiting a diverse class, I didn't think quotas were a great way to do that. Totally unprepared for that question.

Man, still feel awful reflecting on some of these. Made myself out to be a really insensitive and snobby person.

Dang, I am a URM and I would have fumbled on that question. “Uhmmm... Quotas are bad, and numbers are good?” Lol. Some of these interview questions are wild. You guys are champs for handling them so well. Thankfully my school just asked simple questions :bow:

Dang, I am a URM and I would have fumbled on that question. “Uhmmm... Quotas are bad, and numbers are good?” Lol. Some of these interview questions are wild. You guys are champs for handling them so well. Thankfully my school just asked simple questions :bow:

Haha, thankfully most of my interviews were pretty laid-back too, just a few curveball questions that really threw me for a loop. You really never know what these folks will ask!

My cringiest interview moment:

An interviewer showed zero enthusiasm to meet me or be there. All his questions were generic and had nothing to do with my specific application, asked no follow ups to anything I answered, and would cut me off mid-answer when he got bored of me. My brain was full on panic at first thinking I was flopping, but eventually I stopped worrying about myself and started worry about this guy. like... are you okay? You have not made a single facial expression in 15 minutes. When he asked if I had any questions for him, I was genuinely confused why he was interviewing and bluntly asked him what he enjoyed about being a doctor at School X. I think this broke the ice for us and he finally smiled when we started talking about his family but jeebus, I'd never met someone so thoroughly bored by me in my life.

Last edited:
My cringiest interview moments:
1. At an MMI station, we were instructed to talk about a time we felt disappointed by someone who we looked up to or admired. I talked about a close family member who acted, imo, unethically about stolen property. The interviewer looked very concerned the entire time and seriously thanked me for sharing something so personal. Judging from her somewhat stunned reaction, I'm guessing this was not the kind of answer everyone else was giving...

2. At one interview, I walked in the room and got my purse caught on the door handle. After fumbling with that, I dropped my purse between the door and the chair. Then I tripped over it. After I picked it up, I struggled to rest it on the chair and eventually just plopped it on the ground gracelessly. During this, my interviewer asks me "So, how is your interview day going?" and I'm just like "Well, I'm really struggling with this purse right in front of you but other than that, it has been a great morning!"
lol. A rough start but we ended up having a decent conversation.

3. At the same school as #2. My second interviewer showed zero enthusiasm to meet me or be there. All his questions were generic and had nothing to do with my specific application, asked no follow ups to anything I answered, and would cut me off mid-answer when he got bored of me. My brain was full on panic at first thinking I was flopping, but eventually I stopped worrying about myself and started worry about this guy. like... are you okay? You have not made a single facial expression in 15 minutes. When he asked if I had any questions for him, I was genuinely confused why he was interviewing and bluntly asked him what he enjoyed about being a doctor at School X. I think this broke the ice for us and he finally smiled when we started talking about his family but jeebus, I'd never met someone so thoroughly bored by me in my life.

Number 3 sounds exactly like the male counterpart to someone i had before. Was the most awkward and uncomfortable interview by far haha.

Hahaha amazing.
Don’t worry, it happens to everyone, even when you’re deep into your career.
I have a tendency to speak quickly when I am stressed or busy. Sometimes that leads to slurred or even completely wrong words. I’m usually careful, especially if I am talking to patients or families. But last week, I had a ton of cases and I was trying to get through talking to one family so I could go see another. Instead of saying I “explored” the leg (it was a wound), I said “exploded.”
You should have seen their faces.

If it makes anyone feel better, it took me like 8 seconds to correctly say “debilitating”. I was so stressed so I was seriously struggling to pronounce it while my interviewer was just waiting patiently for me to finish saying the word.

Longest 8 seconds of my life. But in my defense it’s a hard word to pronounce if you’re stressed.

Reactions: 5 users
If it makes anyone feel better, it took me like 8 seconds to correctly say “debilitating”. I was so stressed so I was seriously struggling to pronounce it while my interviewer was just waiting patiently for me to finish saying the word.

Longest 8 seconds of my life. But in my defense it’s a hard word to pronounce if you’re stressed.

Stress can be very debilitating indeed.

This thread has been hilarious so far. Had some "interesting" experiences this cycle. This one still takes the cake for me honestly.

As soon as I arrived to my first interview day, I get pulled aside by one of the interview coordinators. She let me know that one of my interviewers had an emergency and couldn't make it. She assured me that they were working on getting me a replacement and that she would find me in the afternoon during lunch to let me know. Since this was my first interview, internally I was a little nervous but calmly replied to her. Fast forward several hours later, and the interview coordinator finds me and gives me the new name.

When it was time to leave, one of the M4 tour guides offers to take me to the room where my interviewer will be. However, she wasn't very sure exactly where this room was. Along the way she meets a friend heading in the same direction and passes me along to her. After walking around the hospital floor for a few minutes trying to find where this doctor was, a man walks out of a conference room calling my name.

I shake his hand and follow him into the room. To my surprise, he was actually in the middle of finishing up his pre-rounds meeting with a bunch of his residents and M4s. Being a naive interviewer, I was thinking, "Wait, wasn't this supposed to be a 1:1 interview. Why are they here? Guess, I'll just hang back and wait for him to finish."

NOPE! WRONG!

My interviewer seats me right next to him in the front of the room and proceeds to start the interview while also still finishing up his pre-rounds meeting. Again, trying to keep it cool. But now, I'm confused. Do I just address him? Or the whole room? Well, that didn't even matter because he gets an emergency call a few minutes in, and LEAVES! He passes my app to one of his residents and the rest of the room proceeds to finish my interview. I was so nervous and thrown for a loop. During all my responses, I would fan the room as I spoke, addressing everyone and trying my best to keep it together.

At the end of it all, everyone is waiting in the hallway and the physician comes back, apologizing. Needless to say, I haven't heard back from that school and Im okay with that.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 19 users
At the end of it all, everyone is waiting in the hallway and the physician comes back, apologizing. Needless to say, I haven't heard back from that school and Im okay with that.
My mouth is totally agape reading this -- a mixture of shock, horror and hilarity. I cannot believe this happened to you. "Fanning the room" Excellent! It sounds like you did the best you could with a curve-ball setup.

This thread has been hilarious so far. Had some "interesting" experiences this cycle. This one still takes the cake for me honestly.

As soon as I arrived to my first interview day, I get pulled aside by one of the interview coordinators. She let me know that one of my interviewers had an emergency and couldn't make it. She assured me that they were working on getting me a replacement and that she would find me in the afternoon during lunch to let me know. Since this was my first interview, internally I was a little nervous but calmly replied to her. Fast forward several hours later, and the interview coordinator finds me and gives me the new name.

When it was time to leave, one of the M4 tour guides offers to take me to the room where my interviewer will be. However, she wasn't very sure exactly where this room was. Along the way she meets a friend heading in the same direction and passes me along to her. After walking around the hospital floor for a few minutes trying to find where this doctor was, a man walks out of a conference room calling my name.

I shake his hand and follow him into the room. To my surprise, he was actually in the middle of finishing up his pre-rounds meeting with a bunch of his residents and M4s. Being a naive interviewer, I was thinking, "Wait, wasn't this supposed to be a 1:1 interview. Why are they here? Guess, I'll just hang back and wait for him to finish."

NOPE! WRONG!

My interviewer seats me right next to him in the front of the room and proceeds to start the interview while also still finishing up his pre-rounds meeting. Again, trying to keep it cool. But now, I'm confused. Do I just address him? Or the whole room? Well, that didn't even matter because he gets an emergency call a few minutes in, and LEAVES! He passes my app to one of his residents and the rest of the room proceeds to finish my interview. I was so nervous and thrown for a loop. During all my responses, I would fan the room as I spoke, addressing everyone and trying my best to keep it together.

THIS IS BANANAS. Also, my curiosity is killing me. I have to know what school this was.

My mouth is totally agape reading this -- a mixture of shock, horror and hilarity. I cannot believe this happened to you. "Fanning the room" Excellent! It sounds like you did the best you could with a curve-ball setup.
Yeah, it was quite the experience. I really did. Funny thing about it was that all the students were talking about how the interviews are so chill. Honestly, "chill" was the word of the day at this school. And, that experience was anything but. My student host and his friends were just as shocked that happened, too.

THIS IS BANANAS. Also, my curiosity is killing me. I have to know what school this was.
PM'd you. I've been telling this story for months to people IRL. Now random strangers on the internet know.

So i was interviewing in this one school in October. Very small group of us, less than 10. So it is beginning of the day, we are all going around introducing ourselves. Everyone is from amazing schools, like Duke, Yale, etc. This one girl is like "i have a black belt in ...." (dont remember what), one by one everyone names amazing hobbies. By the time the line gets to me i start feeling more and more inadequate about my humble history (veteran, went to the cheapest state school i could find, no hobbies, because i work full time. You get the point). So as the day is going on, and everyone is getting to know each other, and talking more and more (by the way, amazing people), i start feeling more and more that i am in a WRONG place. Like, i LOVED the school. But there was a whole world between me and those kids (they were all also SO young). But yet, i was feeling pressure to come up with ANYTHING interesting to say about myself.
So, my first interview starts. One on one, long (45 min). This older gentleman walks in, a retired pediatrician. So, 10 minutes into the interview he asks me what my hobby is.... without even thinking, - tired of pretending to be someone i am not, - i just blabbed "Eating". With very serious face. "I am REALLY good at it. You know how people watch all the fancy cooking shows for cooking? i watch them for eating". The guy froze.... and started laughing. He immediately stopped me, and said that he HAS to write that down. He said that he had been interviewing medical school applicants for 30 years but never ONCE he heard that one.
We were laughing through the rest of the interview, - so much that i was almost late to the next one.

Still waiting for that school to give me the final answer.

Reactions: 13 users
So i was interviewing in this one school in October. Very small group of us, less than 10. So it is beginning of the day, we are all going around introducing ourselves. Everyone is from amazing schools, like Duke, Yale, etc. This one girl is like "i have a black belt in ...." (dont remember what), one by one everyone names amazing hobbies. By the time the line gets to me i start feeling more and more inadequate about my humble history (veteran, went to the cheapest state school i could find, no hobbies, because i work full time. You get the point). So as the day is going on, and everyone is getting to know each other, and talking more and more (by the way, amazing people), i start feeling more and more that i am in a WRONG place. Like, i LOVED the school. But there was a whole world between me and those kids (they were all also SO young). But yet, i was feeling pressure to come up with ANYTHING interesting to say about myself.
So, my first interview starts. One on one, long (45 min). This older gentleman walks in, a retired pediatrician. So, 10 minutes into the interview he asks me what my hobby is.... without even thinking, - tired of pretending to be someone i am not, - i just blabbed "Eating". With very serious face. "I am REALLY good at it. You know how people watch all the fancy cooking shows for cooking? i watch them for eating". The guy froze.... and started laughing. He immediately stopped me, and said that he HAS to write that down. He said that he had been interviewing medical school applicants for 30 years but never ONCE he heard that one.
We were laughing through the rest of the interview, - so much that i was almost late to the next one.

Not a veteran, commend you for your service. As someone who did not go to an Ivy, I've been to tons of interviews where I was surrounded by people who went to Ivys. In the beginning it was disheartening and that imposter syndrome was strong. Overtime, it became more of "These folks think I'm strong enough to roll with all these Ivy league kids!"

PS I always see it as a win if I can get the interviewer to laugh. Good luck to you ma'am.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Not a veteran, commend you for your service. As someone who did not go to an Ivy, I've been to tons of interviews where I was surrounded by people who went to Ivys. In the beginning it was disheartening and that imposter syndrome was strong. Overtime, it became more of "These folks think I'm strong enough to roll with all these Ivy league kids!"

PS I always see it as a win if I can get the interviewer to laugh. Good luck to you sir.
thank you so much. And it's a ma'am :)))). hahahah

PS I always see it as a win if I can get the interviewer to laugh. Good luck to you sir.
thank you so much. And it's a ma'am :)))). hahahah
Oops my bad. Went and edited.

I'd admit you for that. I know it's intimidating to interview with people who have such impressive resumes, but your service and job history make you 100,000x more qualified to do well in med school and beyond than an ivy league dweeb with a black belt who has checked all the "right" boxes.

I'd admit you for that. I know it's intimidating to interview with people who have such impressive resumes, but your service and job history make you 100,000x more qualified to do well in med school and beyond than an ivy league dweeb with a black belt who has checked all the "right" boxes.
Well I am still going through the hoops in that school , so I COULD get accepted. Stay tuned :)))
As a psyche technician and addiction treatment specialist I believe it keeping it real , so to say . And I like to recommend fellow pre-meds ,- if they have a chance of course, - to shadow in a psychiatric ward or in pathology department . There is something about those two that is painfully real .

That’s awesome, but being a vet is not humble wrt to med school admissions. Every interview I’ve been on, they have been super impressed by military service. It is sometimes awkward getting thanked all the time and having people open doors for me and ****.

That said, your answer for your hobby was hilarious. If they don’t admit you, they don’t deserve you.

That’s awesome, but being a vet is not humble wrt to med school admissions. Every interview I’ve been on, they have been super impressed by military service. It is sometimes awkward getting thanked all the time and having people open doors for me and ****.

That said, your answer for your hobby was hilarious. If they don’t admit you, they don’t deserve you.
thank you for your kind words. I am crossing my fingers for that one.

I think your interviewer meant to say listeria.

Botulism usually occurs from uncooked fruits or vegetables that are fermented or preserved. But I may be completely wrong.

Botulism usually occurs from uncooked fruits or vegetables that are fermented or preserved. But I may be completely wrong.

Listeria is usually found in deli meat, frozen vegetables, and unpasteurized milk. It’s botulism in honey (it’s also found in other things like improperly preserved canned foods, in-ground veggies, and preserved fish).

Lmao. How bad would it look to claim to be interested in a hobby but end up not knowing a lot of basic stuff about it?

The interviewer and @Matthew9Thirtyfive are right.
Botulism spores are in honey (as well as improperly canned foods), which would have to be canned/autoclaved to kill the spores but isn't because the heat would ruin the honey, and infants' immune systems can't handle the bacteria in the gut.

The interviewer and @Matthew9Thirtyfive are right.
Botulism spores are in honey (as well as improperly canned foods), which would have to be canned/autoclaved to kill the spores but isn't because the heat would ruin the honey, and infants' immune systems can't handle the bacteria in the gut.
Oh maaaannnn . I feel like my love for honey is ruined one post at a time :)))))

Oh maaaannnn . I feel like my love for honey is ruined one post at a time :)))))
Lol. Well if it's any consolation, healthy adults have no problems with it (see: human history) so don't stop eating it on that account.
The infamous botulism issue with canned foods is due to the fact that the bacteria vegetate and produce loads of botulinum toxin in the cans, and the toxin is what gets ya. A couple of stray spores don't have time to grow and produce toxin in your gut before your natural flora and your immune system take them out.
Babies are weak though...so just don't give honey to babies.

Oh my god ! Is THAT what honey is???

LOL sort of but not really. It does come out of their mouths, but they have a separate honey stomach that they expel it from. It doesn’t come out of the stomach they use for digestion. The process is actually really cool.

The nectar goes from their tongue to the crop (honey stomach) where enzymes convert it to gluconolactone, then these weird bristle things stir it to filter out particles. Then they vomit it up and catch it in their mouths and use their wings to dry it out. They do that part a couple times before expelling it the last time.

So no, it’s not really vomit, but it kind of is lol.

Reactions: 11 users
LOL sort of but not really. It does come out of their mouths, but they have a separate honey stomach that they expel it from. It doesn’t come out of the stomach they use for digestion. The process is actually really cool.

The nectar goes from their tongue to the crop (honey stomach) where enzymes convert it to gluconolactone, then these weird bristle things stir it to filter out particles. Then they vomit it up and catch it in their mouths and use their wings to dry it out. They do that part a couple times before expelling it the last time.

So no, it’s not really vomit, but it kind of is lol.
You know how they say that ignorance is a bliss? I get it now :)))

Reactions: 9 users