Worst opening PS sentence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shulk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think the worst opening sentence for a PS would be?

Members don't see this ad.

"After two cycles of medical school rejection, the relaxed and relatively uncomplicated lives of many practicing dentists began to seem far more appealing."

Reactions: 18 users
'I first became interested in dentistry after I got a 21 on the MCAT.'

Reactions: 25 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I sell crack cocain, wasn't going well so I thought of doing dental school

Reactions: 1 users
Don't start with "I want to go to dental school because…."

Reactions: 1 user
edit : poor taste

"I really like the idea of not working on fridays"

Since i was an infant, i knew dentistry was for me.

I think "I hate teeth." has the potential for either being a TERRIBLE or GREAT way to start a personal statement... depending on what you did with it. :D (There ain't nothin' wrong with starting off with some "shock value" if you are a good writer and can pull the whole thing off!)

Members don't see this ad :)
"Mbuto..."

"Mbuto..."
ref.gif

"I have always been too lazy to become an MD, but my GPA was too high to become a DO...this was all that remained"

Reactions: 9 users
In my actual PS I began with 'I am applying to dental school because.....' and just listed several reasons. I ended with 'I hope you will consider my application for the class of 2018.'. No nonsense.

You can start with shock value as long as you can pull it off. I started with shock value and my PS seemed to be how people wanted to start the interview

You can start with shock value as long as you can pull it off. I started with shock value and my PS seemed to be how people wanted to start the interview

I don't think mine was "shocking," per se, but it was definitely unusual--and it was certainly brought up to start a few interviews! :)

I think they love reading statements that are unique. Things must drone on when you read 100 of them that say just about the same thing...

So you want a personal statement huh! .....

Posted using SDN Mobile

"We can't all be astronauts."
"If A Clockwork Orange has taught us anything..."
"I like turtles."
"*some big Game of Thrones spoiler from book 5*"

Last edited:
My passion for teeth has guided me since leaving the womb

Reactions: 2 users
I have a passion in drill fill + bill. Especially the last one.

Dentistry is for me because I don't like to learn anything new. I know I can succeed doing the same thing over and over again.

^^what some of my friends said about what they thought of dentistry
we're not really friends anymore

Reactions: 6 users
It won't hurt when I drill. They called me Dr. Dre. I could rap, but I rather drill. :horns:

"I've always wanted to be a dentist which is a doctor of some sort because my asian parents told me to"

Dentistry is for me because I don't like to learn anything new. I know I can succeed doing the same thing over and over again.

Part of it's right tho. "I know I can succeed" part is definitely true.

We had a thread like this on the pre-dental board about 2 weeks ago, I think.

I'm tired of selling propane and propane accessories, so dentistry seemed like the logical choice...I tell ya what.

Reactions: 6 users
I'm tired of selling propane and propane accessories, so dentistry seemed like the logical choice...I tell ya what.

I agree, plus the Vogner Char-King pretty much sold itself.

"I hate dentistry and everything about it. Dat $$$ tho..."

Dollar signs included.

Reactions: 3 users
"After I failed to extract yet another poor starving child's molar on my third dental mission to Angola and left them bleeding in a dingy old medical hut; I decided that it might be a good idea to learn how to be a proper dentist."

As Jennifer Anniston's self-proclaimed biggest fan, I thought to myself , "Why can't I do this?", after seeing her seamless transition from a typical coffee shop employee in Friends to a confident yet sexy and empowered dentist in Horrible Bosses.

Reactions: 4 users
"The biggest influence on my life ever was that Christmas elf."

"And what had happened was..."

The money…the cars…the clothes…the hoes…I suppose?

No, wait. Here's the best ever opening statement for a dental school PS:

"I am honored and truly delighted to be applying to medical school because..."

"I want to become a dentist, so I can collect as many teeth as possible for the tooth fairy." Those dollar bills though.

Originally I wanted to be a gynecologist, but after extensive shadowing, I found the profession stinks compared to dentistry.

Reactions: 3 users
"I like teeth, teeth are cool."

"For as long as I can remember, I have always wanted to own a mansion, two Ferraris, and be married to a super model."