Worst thing that happened to you

Started by VladiAVB
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

VladiAVB

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For interview questions like this, how negative/honest can you really be? When I came across this question I immediately thought of my relationship with my dad and what happened there but I don’t know if bringing up something that serious is really what they’re looking for.
 
I don't think family drama is necessarily an inappropriate choice. I'd just be careful how you frame things. Remember that they're not just looking to hear about what happened to you, but also how you responded to those events, so if your response to these events doesn't paint you in a good light, it may not be the best choice.

For example, I have some challenging family history things as well, but I generally avoid talking about them in interviews because I recognize that it's hard for me to talk about them without sounding bitter. When choosing what topic to use, I'd think about if this is something that you can comfortably and objectively speak/write about in a professional way.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I was asked that question, I got the impression they want to know how well I can handle high stress situations. When I told the interviewers about being a parent and watching/supporting my child go through severe trials, they understood because they were both parents too.