This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ResidentDoctorDO

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start this thread due to the lack of information out there for DO students looking for red flags of the many family medicine residencies out there. Some residencies may look OK on paper but may be a nightmare in reality - I couldn't find many resources or threads that address this specifically so here we are.. post at will.

It would be nice to stick to facts, but personal stories do help others decide if a certain residency is right for them. Be as respectful as possible and please avoid an all out bashing of a particular person within a program. This is meant to be a red flag indicator to candidates before they choose to spend their money for an interview and sign the next few years of their life to a certain residency - things like drop out rates, transfers, resident satisfaction, actual work hours/load, education, how residents are viewed in the hospital and community, etc..

I will start this off with a little known residency in Batavia, NY - looks like a great little unopposed rural type residency on the AOA website with great pay...however beware of this incredibly malignant program with little education, high work load, and very little respect for residents from those inside or outside of the program. I am either a current or past resident (due to nature of this residency, I would like to stay anonymous), and I wish that someone had warned me of what was in store. There has been nothing but disregard for residents in the program. The Program director takes a back seat and allows an inexperienced and bitter program coordinator to be the one to set rules and dish out punishment as she plays favorites. They practice medicine that is average at best and rarely evidence based. Residents are at each others throats due to so much drama and didactic sessions are a joke at best. There is a lot of turnover with many residents either getting fired or breaking their contract due to being fed up with the way things are ran. Others simply do not renew and find another place...any place (which is why they increased salary recently). At this residency, you will find out you work a 24hr call shift 3 days prior to the shift, and at the hospital with little support. Most residents are miserable here. So there, you've been warned.

Any other resident experiences? Med students - clinical rotations? Anyone open to post, just keep it professional.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.