Worth Applying to High End Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMantisTobogganMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

My c/sGPA are like 3.5, however my last 5 semesters were 3.62, 3.87, 4.0, 3.92, 3.6 (senioritis). MCAT is 516, the catch is that I took it twice before (26/27). Really studied for this last one. Tons of research (5 years), publication, 50 hours shadowing, hospital volunteering, etc the usual. My question is, is it worth applying to some high tier schools like Northwestern? My thoughts are that its essentially a waste of time and money considering the GPA and past MCATs. Any input is appreciated. And if you guys have any schools you think I should apply to I'm open for suggestions (from Illinois and have added all state schools). Take it easy!

Members don't see this ad.

Well post your list and lots of people will help you. How much clinical work? How about volunteering outside of the medical field? Do you know if NU averages MCAT scores? Even if they don't they will see the 26 and 27. Your GPAs are also below average in general for MD. Do you have the MSAR ? If not get it and research schools that your stats fit. Start with UofI, Loyola(I think they average all MCAT scores), Rosy Franklin, maybe SIU depending on what part of Illinois you live in. From what you have shared you wouldn't fit the requirements service wise and clinical wise at Rush.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Are you URM/LGBTQ? - then yes.
Incredible life story?
Do you have exceedingly passionate EC's rather than just high numbers of hrs? - Add with above, yes.
They're generally a better option than some high yields because as long as they don't have a filter out on #s, there's more of a chance your app will actually be read.
If you are painfully mediocre other than some research/a pub, then probably not.

Members don't see this ad :)
240 hours in a NICU, 50 hours shadowing, also did Dance Marathon for a semester which was a fair amount of time. That's all my volunteering, I really focused my time on research. As for the GPA won't schools take trend into account? 3.5 overall is deceptive when in reality my GPA for the last 5 semesters is a 3.8.

Also not URM/LGBT, no incredible life story, parents got divorced and that was hard for me but hey that's happened to every other person you've met. White male from the suburbs — not particularly what you'd call diverse. Like I said I have a lot of research, a publication, honors thesis, multiple presentations of my own projects. I'd rather save my money rather than apply to those schools.

So you don't want to apply to schools in IL except NU? Hmm... So where is YOUR list?
Just a FYI: the median scores for Feinberg class that started 8/15 are
cGPA-3.88, sGPS-3.85 and MCAT-36. That's right from their website.

Your average MCAT is around a 29/30. I don't know if NU averages. You'll have to check.

I think I've read that there are schools that focus on your last 30 or 60 hours. You should research those too. But they might not be to your liking either.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I can't recommend it.

Hey all,

My c/sGPA are like 3.5, however my last 5 semesters were 3.62, 3.87, 4.0, 3.92, 3.6 (senioritis). MCAT is 516, the catch is that I took it twice before (26/27). Really studied for this last one. Tons of research (5 years), publication, 50 hours shadowing, hospital volunteering, etc the usual. My question is, is it worth applying to some high tier schools like Northwestern? My thoughts are that its essentially a waste of time and money considering the GPA and past MCATs. Any input is appreciated. And if you guys have any schools you think I should apply to I'm open for suggestions (from Illinois and have added all state schools). Take it easy!