Worth Applying to MSUCOM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beckson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.3sGPA 3.1cGPA 27MCAT
2200 Volunteer Hours
12,000 Hours direct patient care/ M.D Shadowing
I have goo letters from 2 N.P's and a M.D
I live in Michigan and a Non-Trad

I know MSUCOM is often referred to as a top D.O. school so I am wondering if I have a shot. I talked to an admission adviser and she told me grades and mcat are 60% and E.C's and volunteer are 40%. Is this true or are they just blowing smoke around?

Members don't see this ad.

Since you are a Michigan resident, I think you should take a chance considering this is one of those schools with an in state bias.

i hear they love volunteer! go for it:) however, my advisor says they take applicants who are only serious about DO, idk how your MD letter will look to them

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
3.3sGPA 3.1cGPA 27MCAT
2200 Volunteer Hours
12,000 Hours direct patient care/ M.D Shadowing
I have goo letters from 2 N.P's and a M.D
I live in Michigan and a Non-Trad

I know MSUCOM is often referred to as a top D.O. school so I am wondering if I have a shot. I talked to an admission adviser and she told me grades and mcat are 60% and E.C's and volunteer are 40%. Is this true or are they just blowing smoke around?

Since you are a Michigan resident and MSU's DO school is one of the top programs.. of course it is worth it.

Since you are a Michigan resident, I think you should take a chance considering this is one of those schools with an in state bias.

:thumbup:

i hear they love volunteer! go for it:) however, my advisor says they take applicants who are only serious about DO, idk how your MD letter will look to them

Hm, I didn't know that. It sounds interesting, though, because they also have an MD school.

I think it's definitely worth a shot. I say go for it!

Psh. DO schools take anyone with a pulse. Didn't you know that?

It is a great school.
They have a really friendly administration and tried their best to keep their applicants updated.

Be sure you have fullfilled all of their requirements. I think it is one of few school that requires Genetics. I know because I didn't take that in undergrad and had to withdraw from it last cycle.

I'd deff. Apply. I think you have a great shot.

The secondary is Brutal!!

and MDPR is totally right.

You should definitely apply, especially as you are a MI resident. I think you would have a pretty good chance. However, if at all possible, you should do some more DO shadowing. If I were to review your application I would think, "hmm this person was probably looking to go MD but didn't quite reach the average matriculated GPA/MCAT score to apply MSU's MD school"... (Not saying that this is the case with you, because I have no idea!).. but it is true that DO schools look to see that the applicant shows a strong desire for the osteopathic profession.

NEVER shadowed a DO only MD's and I got in. Just Sayin

I tried to ask what the average stats were for this year's (2012) entering class, and this was their response: "MSUCOM does not release raw data about its students". Lame.

Apply!!!!!!!! You never know. YOU could get in. All of the DO residencies are in MI anyway, so you have a huge advantage if you go to school in MI. They do not discriminate against you if you shadowed MD, they don't care if you applied to MD schools. However, be prepared to explain what about your life experience makes you want to be an osteopathic physician.