Worth applying to Texas schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dweji16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you're not a Texas resident, would you say it's worth it?

I know a couple people who turned in the Texas apps as OOS and still got into a school or too... wondering if that's an anomaly or if a lot of people go ahead with it.

Members don't see this ad.

It would be worth it only if you have strong ties to Texas, you can express an interest in wanting to practice/lean medicine in Texas, and/or have a really strong application. 90% (even higher in most cases) of the seats are reserved for instate putting you at a serious disadvantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not easy, but dozens get in every year from oustide of TX.
:thumbup:

It would be worth it only if you have strong ties to Texas, you can express an interest in wanting to practice/lean medicine in Texas, and/or have a really strong application. 90% (even higher in most cases) of the seats are reserved for instate putting you at a serious disadvantage.

Yeah, I have to agree. Its worth it if your competitive, but isn't that any school? Texas schools are cheap so I would say its worth it to apply.

I would recommend you only do it if you have ties- a maximum of 10% of a class can be OOS and only 50% of those students can get the scholarship to waive OOS tuition. I think at Tech in a class of 140 we have about 4 of us from OOS. I got in but I also lived in West Texas for the first 15 years of my life.

Yep, can't say it any better. That is why I did not even bother with TX. Such a pain in the neck.:thumbdown:

Texas application was totally worth it to me. It was way cheaper than adding other AMCAS schools (with the secondary fee for each school included) and gave me an opportunity to apply to a number of good schools with a great value (low tuition! OOS tuition is less than IS for a number of states...mine included). I'd recommend it to anyone with competitive stats for the Texas schools (stats just above the TX school averages, to help set you apart since it's true that you're going for only about 10 percent of the class).

The separate application takes a bit of effort, but it also cuts down the number of OOS applicants a bit since only the kids who are willing to fill out another application will do it. Keeps the OOS applicants honest. ;)

who the hell wants to go to texass for school? lol :smuggrin:

If you're not a Texas resident, would you say it's worth it?

I know a couple people who turned in the Texas apps as OOS and still got into a school or too... wondering if that's an anomaly or if a lot of people go ahead with it.

Hell yeah it is. Texas schools are so affordable. Totally worth it.

I would recommend you only do it if you have ties- a maximum of 10% of a class can be OOS and only 50% of those students can get the scholarship to waive OOS tuition. I think at Tech in a class of 140 we have about 4 of us from OOS. I got in but I also lived in West Texas for the first 15 years of my life.

That's not true for all schools. At Southwestern they specifically told us that every single out of state student was going to get enough scholarship funding to drop their tuition down to instate tuition rates. Whether that's via "waving" the OOS tuition due to the typical $1000 scholarship or just giving $15,000 in scholarship money to OOS kids to make up for the difference, I'm not sure. But just wanted to point that out.

That's not true for all schools. At Southwestern they specifically told us that every single out of state student was going to get enough scholarship funding to drop their tuition down to instate tuition rates. Whether that's via "waving" the OOS tuition due to the typical $1000 scholarship or just giving $15,000 in scholarship money to OOS kids to make up for the difference, I'm not sure. But just wanted to point that out.

Good to know- I just know here they said it could only be 50% of OOS and Tech doesn't give out scholarship money the same as UTSW does. Also, I know people at other Texas schools who are paying OOS rates.

Yup, we get a $1000 check from the Southwestern Medical Foundation, which basically acts like a $15,000 scholarship. So instate tuition FTW.

Back to the original question, as everyone emphasized, there are a lot of good schools in Texas, which will be cheaper than most other schools as an OOS, and Texas is an awesome place to live. The only downside is lack of real beaches... and yes I know San Padre is awesome, but it is way too far from Dallas to be feasible to go to...

I guess the next question I would have is, is it not worth applying to Texas schools if you don't have any strong ties to Texas?

I guess the next question I would have is, is it not worth applying to Texas schools if you don't have any strong ties to Texas?

If you really want to go to a Texas school, I'd say give it a try. I had some ties to Texas, but I also had a friend who had never set foot in Texas until his first interview there. And then his second interview, and then his third, and so on. He got accepted to multiple Texas schools, but didn't really have ties there.

Obviously, that's just one person's story, but at least it has happened once before. :)