Worth mentioning this in secondary? Question is "Is there anything else you would like us to know?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lea102

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
so I'm a first generation college student and I come from a low income family. The latter might be obvious to admissions since I was approved for AAMC fee assistance, but I don't mention the former anywhere on my primary.

Is it worth even mentioning this in the secondary question "Is there anything else you would like us to know?" Besides this little fact, I don't have anything else to write. If I do write it, should I write about its impact on my education and journey? Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

If you can talk about it in a way that will show how it has shaped you as a person, what you have learned, and how it will affect you in your role as a physician, I don't see why not. It would be even better if you can tie it to your ECs as a way to show how your experiences have affected you in terms of how you serve others. I did something similar for those type of prompts (not related to 1st generation/disadvantaged, but other things), and I don't think it has negatively affected me so far.

Reactions: 1 user