Worth retaking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bell0s

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the exam on Halloween and my results were spooky in a few areas:

Bio 90
Chem 61
RC 97
QR 67

Comp 86

As I expected, I didn't finish the Chem and Quant sections. This was my 2nd PCAT because on my first attempt my QR was 9....yeah so I certainly improved, otherwise my scores were similar. I'm worried now that my chem and QR are too low. Chem was my best subject in school but I graduated 4 years ago and I haven't retained as much as I thought.

Is it worth retaking the exam to try and raise my Chem and Quant scores?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If I had this kind of composite, I wouldnt even think of retaking....thats damn competitive enough....i am retaking too, how did you study, what materials did you use....I took my first pcat Nov 31st, it didnt make sense at all, wanna retake in january

Ok thanks. I've seen people discussing how important the Chem and QR are in being considered so that gave me pause...

I used Collins that a friend let me borrow, I wish I'd studied more though, I went through all of the QR tests and then 2 of each for the other topics. I also hired a tutor on wyzant for math because I have a math disability. I used the free nextstep PCAT mock exam. For reviewing concepts I have a Kaplan PCAT book.

EDIT: I also watched Course Saver/Chad's Videos. Most of the bio and QR videos are free. The chem videos are free on the chadsvideos website.

Last edited:
I will do that, how can i get the free nextstep pcat mock exam and since January is near, can you suggest a strategy for me?? I am still taking my prerequisites(2 more to go after this semester) but wanna have my Pcat handy, and I already applied to Pharm school, wanna do every all at once and start my pharm school immediately. Already wasted enough time at home. Really wanna have 80% and above composite score.

Moreso, I am going through some course review on Khan Academy website too, I don't know how far that will take me, I started last night, I really wanna kill the Pcat this time

Members don't see this ad :)
Which schools did you apply to? Also, is Dr. Collins practice really like the real exam? Is it worth it to buy Dr. Collins?

I will do that, how can i get the free nextstep pcat mock exam and since January is near, can you suggest a strategy for me?? I am still taking my prerequisites(2 more to go after this semester) but wanna have my Pcat handy, and I already applied to Pharm school, wanna do every all at once and start my pharm school immediately. Already wasted enough time at home. Really wanna have 80% and above composite score.

Moreso, I am going through some course review on Khan Academy website too, I don't know how far that will take me, I started last night, I really wanna kill the Pcat this time

Just go to nextstep and sign up, the test diagnostic is the practice exam. As for a study schedule, that's a tough question. Personally I would sit down and do a set of questions, then review the answers and study the material I missed. That usually involved reading and watching a video while taking notes.

next step nextsteptestprep

Chads videos chadsvideos

Last edited:
Which schools did you apply to? Also, is Dr. Collins practice really like the real exam? Is it worth it to buy Dr. Collins?

I'm in the process of applying so I haven't settled on any schools. As for Dr. Collins, I do think it is the best study material available. If you can't afford it then the Pearson practice exams and the nextstep practice exams are the next best option.

Comparing Collins to the real exam, I'd say that they're pretty close. It is expensive and I don't know if I would have bought it but I was lucky enough to borrow mine from a friend.

Does Dr. Collins come with online practice tests? How many test are there for each section?

QR and Bio have 9 exams, Chem has 12, CR had 4-5 iirc, 4-5 writing samples. Each section has a study guide. My copy didn't have any online exams, I don't believe there are any for Dr. Collins. Pearson and nextstep have great online exams that resemble the actual exam.