Worth scheduling a brief meet with PD/Chair at your #1 choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently auditioning at this program. Is it worth your time to schedule a follow-up meet (briefly) with PD or Chair to express interest/positive experience, etc? I will be interviewing at this program later this semester. I'd met with the PD during the 1st week of the rotation, just was not sure if it was worth scheduling something like this on the last week or if it would be considered desperation and back-fire? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i've just set an appt for the PD at my program, i'd love to be at. I hope it wont backfire. I figure if he sees that i made the extra effort to speak to him that should be favorable, not bad.

The PD at my first choice invited me to sit and chat when I was doing an audition rotation there, so I'd say definately go for it!

The PD at my first choice invited me to sit and chat when I was doing an audition rotation there, so I'd say definately go for it!

Well, I've already met with the PD (during the 1st week - it was a group meeting with the other students and then had requested a one-on-one meet). I guess the Q is, is it worth having another sit-down before leaving or would it appear as if I'm trying too hard? I don't want to appear that way but after being here for 4 weeks I know this is my #1.
Any other input, also, maybe from aPD? Thanks!

Well, I've already met with the PD (during the 1st week - it was a group meeting with the other students and then had requested a one-on-one meet). I guess the Q is, is it worth having another sit-down before leaving or would it appear as if I'm trying too hard? I don't want to appear that way but after being here for 4 weeks I know this is my #1.
Any other input, also, maybe from aPD? Thanks!

This is just my opinion, but I think it would be fine....especially since your first meeting was a group meeting (although, was it a meeting about your elective or was it a specific meeting about the residency program?). Our PD usually invites visiting students for a 1-on-1 meeting (and classmates have talked about doing the same on their aways), so at least there's precedent at other programs). If you're in doubt, you could also ask the advice of some of the residents/interns you have a good relationship with.

Currently auditioning at this program. Is it worth your time to schedule a follow-up meet (briefly) with PD or Chair to express interest/positive experience, etc? I will be interviewing at this program later this semester. I'd met with the PD during the 1st week of the rotation, just was not sure if it was worth scheduling something like this on the last week or if it would be considered desperation and back-fire? Thanks!

Just to chime in...I think it's totally appropriate.

Just my seven pennies:

Not only should you do it, you better do it if it is really your #1. If you leave without expressing as much, you do your self a disservice by working hard for a month at the program. This is part of the equation that says that you may have a leg up on your competition in that you had a chance to work with and meet with the department by doing an away. Normal applicants will get a generic 10-15 minute sit down with the PD...you can actually sit back and just talk and not worry about someone knocking on the door.

I did 2 aways; I met one-on-one with both PD's. I expressed to my #1 exactly that, in those words. To the other, I expressed my strong interest and desire to match there, but did not every say they were my #1.

Thanks.
I didn't have the chance to formally meet with the PD again due to the PD being at a national conference, but I did in an email express my experience, thoughts, and told the PD it was my top choice to do residency. The PD replied, stating they appreciated it and were glad I had a good time and looked forward to speaking more with me during the interview.

I'll probably do a similar thing at my other away. Thanks for the tips everyone!

Just my seven pennies:

Not only should you do it, you better do it if it is really your #1. If you leave without expressing as much, you do your self a disservice by working hard for a month at the program. This is part of the equation that says that you may have a leg up on your competition in that you had a chance to work with and meet with the department by doing an away. Normal applicants will get a generic 10-15 minute sit down with the PD...you can actually sit back and just talk and not worry about someone knocking on the door.

I did 2 aways; I met one-on-one with both PD's. I expressed to my #1 exactly that, in those words. To the other, I expressed my strong interest and desire to match there, but did not every say they were my #1.