worthwhile summer programs for MS-1 students

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Igor4sugry, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Igor4sugry

Igor4sugry Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

This winter break I am trying to look for summer programs. I attempted to search Google for this but did not have good results.

I am looking for clinical/research/both programs that I can do this summer.

[1] Can someone make some suggestions, provide links with database of such programs?

[2] What are your plans for the summer?

Thanks

2. oldbearprofessor

Staff Member Administrator Physician Rocket Scientist Faculty Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    http://www.aps-spr.org/Student_Research/Info.htm

If interested in pediatrics, basic science or clinical. Your username suggests this might not be the case...but who knows??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OP
    OP
    Igor4sugry

Igor4sugry Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I have an engineering background, and right now I'm looking for what is out there. I learned that the best opportunities are in places you least expect.

4. themudphud

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Check out the funding opportunities page for medical students on my blog. There may be some opportunities that would be helpful to you--or you can take some of these to potential research mentors--which will make you attractive and is also a way to also make some money for you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. this is your last summer of freedom. travel! europarty or medical volunteering, whatever, just get out there.

unless you get a really good research job which will give you a killer publication, than forget it and get out of the country, maybe even on the government's dime, :)

6. Blimp

7+ Year Member

Can you tell me more about these TRAVEL programs that I can get funding for?

Thanks.

7. fireflygirl

fireflygirl The Ultimate Blindian
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I just talked to my dean about such opportunities and one that she told me is available at every med school in the US is "Bridging the Gap". It's a community service based program that every US medical school participates in. There is no website, that I could find, but apparently if you talk to your dean about it, he/she would know.