worthwhile to shadow a resident??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avandreel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I tried searching for this topic but couldn't really find anything specific...
I am applying to osteopathic schools this summer, and have shadowed one DO who said he would be willing to write me a LOR, but I have been having a hard time getting a hold of him, and so I'm thinking of finding some more DOs to shadow just in case this falls through... my question is this: there is a DO/MD family practice residency in the area, and from what I understand it is not too hard to get to shadow residents here. Would it make a difference if I shadowed and got a LOR from a resident DO, instead of a DO who has been practicing for a while? thanks for your replies

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I tried searching for this topic but couldn't really find anything specific...
I am applying to osteopathic schools this summer, and have shadowed one DO who said he would be willing to write me a LOR, but I have been having a hard time getting a hold of him, and so I'm thinking of finding some more DOs to shadow just in case this falls through... my question is this: there is a DO/MD family practice residency in the area, and from what I understand it is not too hard to get to shadow residents here. Would it make a difference if I shadowed and got a LOR from a resident DO, instead of a DO who has been practicing for a while? thanks for your replies

Chances are that the school won't attempt to make the distinction...

A DO letter is better than no DO letter... A well-known alumni of the school is best...

Thanks for your reply/advice. I definitely wish I had the luxury of finding an alumnus from the school I want to go to, but I'm having a hard enough time just getting in touch with doctors period! So it goes, i guess. what would applying to med school be without a bunch of hoops to jump through? thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a little off topic, but to be honest the times I was able to shadow residents at teaching hospitals was the most valuble and insightful experiences I have had during my road to med-school.

This is a little off topic, but to be honest the times I was able to shadow residents at teaching hospitals was the most valuble and insightful experiences I have had during my road to med-school.

Agreed. The residents I shadowed were awesome and very open to answering all of my million questions. They also had a lot of insight into medical school as they were all recent grads.

Yes, it's worth shadowing a resident for the experience and knowledge, but probably not for your LOR. Get an attending to write it, if possible.

i actually shadowed both a resident and a fully practicing physician and got letters from both.
I asked a few schools a while ago whether a letter from a resident would be ok, they said it would be ok but not as strong by itself. they also said a letter from a DO resident and an MD letter would be fine.

what school are you looking to attend?

The residents have the DO degree and initials behind their name, so I don'tt see why its would be a problem. The whole reason they want you to shadow is to learn about Osteopathy, no reason a resident can't tell you that. To be on the safe side, contact a few schools about it.

awesome, thank you everyone for your replies. this all seems like good advice, and i will take it into consideration. the good news is that just this morning i got in contact with a physiatrist DO at a local neuro-spine center, and have already scheduled times to shadow. so hopefully this problem is fixed. i still might think about shadowing some residents as suggested though, if only for the experience.

i for sure plan on applying to DMU, CCOM, KCOM, and maybe KCUMB if i think i can make their biochem requirement before i graduate next year. I would really like to stay in the midwest if at all possible. I may add others once I'm actually applying too, who knows... I still don't know whether it is worth it to apply to MSU-COM and OSU-COM, since I hear they are very selective for in-state applicants...
thanks everyone

In my interview they liked that I had shadowed both MDs and DOs, and I did some shadowing at a Residency Program and the interviewers also liked that I had gotten to see medicine from a young physicians point of view, as well as older established ones. Good luck, and go for it, shadowing hours never seem to hurt.

The clinical experience may be helpful, but the letter you get would probably be worthless (and yes, they would probably put "resident" in their title).

I dont think the letter would be worthless at all. A LOR from anyone, so long as its positive, is good to have.

Would a letter from an attending be better? Absolutely.