Would a 3.3cGPA/3.3sGPA with a 30+ MCAT considered an underdog?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreamstoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been hearing from a few individuals that are qualified (won't say who) saying even with a high MCAT that my 3.3 sGPA currently is a red flag

Members don't see this ad.

I've been hearing from a few individuals that are qualified (won't say who) saying even with a high MCAT that my 3.3 sGPA currently is a red flag
Maybe there are speaking about MD? For do no.

Members don't see this ad :)
For DO, what cGPA and sGPA would be considered underdogged?

<3.2 and <24 MCAT. The 3.2 is the cutoff at a lot of DO schools and the 24 is starting to get in sketch range. I do not know why anyone would need a hard and fast rule of underdog-ness because its not like schools would give a crap haha, but personally thats roughly where I would call it.

There are tons of people that get in with a 3.3 and 30 MCAT. Thats really solid for DO schools if you apply to a half dozen.

It was for me and I was asked about it at every interview. As long as you have a solid answer and own your mistakes you should be okay.

I don't consider it to be competitive for MD schools, but it also depends upon what state you live in. So if you're in, say, AR, KS, AL, MS, etc, then go for it.
Otherwise, you're fine for DO schools.

I don't consider it to be competitive for MD schools, but it also depends upon what state you live in. So if you're in, say, AR, KS, AL, MS, etc, then go for it.
Otherwise, you're fine for DO schools.

Based on my state, they aren't competitive I have checked for MDs. Thanks for the advice, Goro!