Would an applicant be at a disadvantage if they applied MD PhD to schools, got rejected, and reapplied MD-only to the same schools the next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1038508

Assuming the applicant is otherwise well qualified for MD in all respects. The applicant hasn't mentioned this specific switch in their application designations, but has discussed their realization that while they want to do research, patient care is their ultimate priority.

I guess it's also fine if nobody really knows the answer to this... just looking for speculation.

Members don't see this ad.

Just food for thought, as I do not know much about this. I was under the impression that MD/PhD applicants, when rejected, were thrown into the MD applicant pile awaiting another decision. Thus if one was rejected from both, reapplying to the same school would brand you a reapplicant?

Members don't see this ad :)
At Johns Hopkins, an admissions officer said that the school does not cycle MD/PhD candidates who are not accepted into the MD pool, because they believe that MD/PhD candidates do not want the same thing as MD candidates. Obviously, that is only anecdotal evidence and you would be re-applying as an MD candidate a year later. However, it suggests that you should decide what you want and do everything that you can do to get accepted on the first attempt.

Reactions: 1 users
At Johns Hopkins, an admissions officer said that the school does not cycle MD/PhD candidates who are not accepted into the MD pool, because they believe that MD/PhD candidates do not want the same thing as MD candidates. Obviously, that is only anecdotal evidence and you would be re-applying as an MD candidate a year later. However, it suggests that you should decide what you want and do everything that you can do to get accepted on the first attempt.

That is very good to know. Thanks! Doing a bit of further digging, I found that it is very school dependent and different schools operate differently.

Reactions: 1 user