Would an MBA help for someone going into research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shindotp

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to tell me how an MBA could help a researcher?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone want to tell me how an MBA could help a researcher?

If you have a high powered MBA, you can make enough money to fund your own research and stick it to the NIH? Or you will gain the administrative skills to run a major research department in industry? If you're actually interested in doing research with your own mind and hands, I'm sure a MBA can only hinder you because you'll be spending more time with no appreciable gain in scientific skills.

That being said, there was a time when I actually considered doing UT's Physician Executive MBA program during the PhD years of my MD/PhD program since its mostly online and you only have to be there for like a few weeks out of the year for rotations. That idea went down the drain though when I learned that you have to have an MD to qualify. :laugh:

I know a guy who got MD/PhD/MHA from my institution and is now making several million a year as CEO of an insurance company. Thats a pretty lucrative and lesser known path for people with triple degrees but of course, you'll never get into an MD/PhD program if they know you intend on doing this.

MD/PhD/MHA is a pretty killer combo of degrees... O_O

Thanks for the response. I don't think I'd be able to join many research departments in industry with a BA in psychology though.

I'm an MBA student applying to MD/PhD programs this summer. I've enjoyed it and definitely learned a lot. Diversity of experience makes you a better scholar (and consequently researcher) in virtually any field, science included. During these 2 years I've still been neuroscience research, and actually have another 1st author paper to submit in the next week or two. I've also taken some grad level computer science courses on the side. If you want to talk more about why I've done this and how I'm going to explain myself during applications, let me know.

Why are you looking at this?