Would anyone apply

Started by mosdef
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mosdef

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently retook the MCAT and scored a 30M with a 13 in the biological
sciences, an 11 on the physical sciences, and a SIX on the verbal. My
previous MCAT score was a 27N, with a 10 on the biological sciences, and
11 on the physical sciences, and also a SIX on the verbal. I currently
have a 3.97 GPA at UCLA after 1 year as a transfer student from a community college, and feel that I have completed numerous
extracurricular activities. Nevertheless, I fear my low verbal score
will make admissions committees dimiss any opportunity of offering me an
acceptance. Thus, I was hoping whether you could possibly tell me if I
have to retake the MCAT a third time, or should fill out my secondaries
and wish for an acceptance.
 
Fermata said:
You'll never know unless you try.

Applying to med school with a California residency must suck.

I'll agree with that. 6 is a tough score, but you sound very good overall, though.
If you think that waiting a year will definitely help improve your score, then I would wait. But if you've taken it twice, maybe you can just give it a shot?
If you do, good luck :luck: , there is always a solid chance of getting in.
Apply to a bunch of out-of-state schools (just a general guideline for all CA residents)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i'd apply and give it a shot. Seriously, you never know if you don't try. Yes, a 6 will severally hold you back but a 3.9/30 is very good. My advice is to write a "killer" personal statement, and very good secondary essays. That way, you show the adcoms that communication is not a problem for you. Apply to wide range of schools...and retake if you receive no acceptance.
 
sdnstud said:
i'd apply and give it a shot. Seriously, you never know if you don't try. Yes, a 6 will severally hold you back but a 3.9/30 is very good. My advice is to write a "killer" personal statement, and very good secondary essays. That way, you show the adcoms that communication is not a problem for you. Apply to wide range of schools...and retake if you receive no acceptance.

sdnstud...are u reallly apploying to 49 schools? the most ive previously heard was 30
 
I submitted my AMCAS in june and took the Aug MCAT. Originally, I applied to 33 schools because I had a shaky MCAT score (25). I took the August MCAT and felt that I did poorly. I added 10 more schools (5 DOs) in late August. I received my MCAT score in October and found out I didn't do too bad (33), so I added 5 top-tier schools. So I guess, yes, I did apply to that many schools. But, I plan to submit secondaries to only 39 schools.

I AM confident in my stats. I applied to this many schools because I applied blind in June. If I knew I am applying with a 3.8/33, I'd only apply to max 30 schools.

and yes, I feel bad for wasting money and my bank accounts are down to 3 digits 🙁


davedavedave said:
sdnstud...are u reallly apploying to 49 schools? the most ive previously heard was 30