Would DIY Post-bacc be good enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heellary

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have already read multiple posts about a formal post-bacc vs SMP programs and I believe that a DIY post-bacc would be better for me, as I have already completed all of the prereqs and I currently have an upward trend in GPA. Also, finances are a concern to me, so I was wondering if community college classes would be good enough to repair my GPA. I am currently sitting at a 3.0 cGPA and am hoping to get it up to 3.2 by the time I graduate. I am taking the MCAT in September, so depending on my score I was thinking I should just apply to a post-bacc or SMP anyway just to see if I get in? According to this timeline, I would be applying the next cycle in May of 2023, so I can hopefully just gain clinical/volunteer hours during my gap year.

Members don't see this ad.

A 4.0 in a non-degree granting community college DIY post-bacc is not actually going to repair anything, because community college classes and grading are generally considered to be less rigorous than at other institutions. If finances are a concern, you either need to save money to do it right, or find a situation where an employer will pay for you to take classes at a university. Also, the upper level classes med schools will be looking for generally won't be available at community colleges.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
You can take them at a local state university. It would be more expensive but much cheaper than an SMP.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the schools you're targeting. I did most of my undergrad premed, post-bacc classes at a community college and I've never had a single interviewer mention it. But I also didn't apply to T25 or whatever schools.

Good option for budget conscious people: community college post-bacc taking as many classes as you can in a year to boost your GPA. So realistically like 40-50 credit hours. Followed up by a master's degree in biology that pays you tuition plus a stipend to teach labs.

Reactions: 5 users
go post a WAMC and let's see what the rest of your app looks like

What was your undergrad major? The worst case scenario I can think of re: community college classes is this: you majored in bio or another science then went back to CC to fix the GPA. It wouldn’t prove you mastered the subject and could look like you went to CC to take easier classes.

For reference I’m a second yr DO student. I got an associate’s degree in chemistry and then transferred to a 4 yr university to get my bachelors in biochemistry. I also worked the whole time because I didn’t want to graduate UG in debt.

That goes to say, there are situations and and schools where community college credits will be acceptable. But there should be a demonstrated reason why CC was the only option. In my case anything that was not cheap was not feasible and I think I proved that by staying employed the whole time I was in school.

Never came up in interviews though. Out of people whose educational backgrounds I know here, maybe 15% started at CC. Hard to tell though. I don’t think people are very open about it.

Hello everyone,

I have already read multiple posts about a formal post-bacc vs SMP programs and I believe that a DIY post-bacc would be better for me, as I have already completed all of the prereqs and I currently have an upward trend in GPA. Also, finances are a concern to me, so I was wondering if community college classes would be good enough to repair my GPA. I am currently sitting at a 3.0 cGPA and am hoping to get it up to 3.2 by the time I graduate. I am taking the MCAT in September, so depending on my score I was thinking I should just apply to a post-bacc or SMP anyway just to see if I get in? According to this timeline, I would be applying the next cycle in May of 2023, so I can hopefully just gain clinical/volunteer hours during my gap year.
But how many upper level science courses are offered at a CC?

What was your undergrad major? The worst case scenario I can think of re: community college classes is this: you majored in bio or another science then went back to CC to fix the GPA. It wouldn’t prove you mastered the subject and could look like you went to CC to take easier classes.

For reference I’m a second yr DO student. I got an associate’s degree in chemistry and then transferred to a 4 yr university to get my bachelors in biochemistry. I also worked the whole time because I didn’t want to graduate UG in debt.

That goes to say, there are situations and and schools where community college credits will be acceptable. But there should be a demonstrated reason why CC was the only option. In my case anything that was not cheap was not feasible and I think I proved that by staying employed the whole time I was in school.

Never came up in interviews though. Out of people whose educational backgrounds I know here, maybe 15% started at CC. Hard to tell though. I don’t think people are very open about it.
My undergrad major is just general biology, so I'm assuming just opting for community college classes isn't a viable option for GPA repair. I did stay employed throughout all of my undergrad, but do you think finding a post-bacc or SMP that is affiliated with a medical school more worth it in the end? I'm willing to take on the debt if it makes my chances of getting in even slightly better, since I won't have anybody to help me pay for the program. Especially if I pursue an SMP and they offer introductory classes that are similar to medical school courses, I would be able to gauge my academic ability?

My undergrad major is just general biology, so I'm assuming just opting for community college classes isn't a viable option for GPA repair. I did stay employed throughout all of my undergrad, but do you think finding a post-bacc or SMP that is affiliated with a medical school more worth it in the end? I'm willing to take on the debt if it makes my chances of getting in even slightly better, since I won't have anybody to help me pay for the program. Especially if I pursue an SMP and they offer introductory classes that are similar to medical school courses, I would be able to gauge my academic ability?
If you already have at least a C in your pre-requisite classes, you can take other upper division classes such as genetics, biochem 2, genomics, immunology etc at a state university close to you. I do not know if that is financially possible for you.

If you already have at least a C in your pre-requisite classes, you can take other upper division classes such as genetics, biochem 2, genomics, immunology etc at a state university close to you. I do not know if that is financially possible for you.
Would me staying at my current 4 year undergraduate institution for a 5th year constitute as a "post-bacc" since it would be contributing to my undergrad GPA?

Reactions: 1 user
Would me staying at my current 4 year undergraduate institution for a 5th year constitute as a "post-bacc" since it would be contributing to my undergrad GPA?
If you are taking additional undergrad classes as a fifth year student, those classes will count in your uGPA.. Don’t sigh up for a Masters of any kind. Grad classes will not be included in your uGPA. (Well DO schools do consider Grad courses in the GPA). Be very careful of SMPS. They are high stakes-high rewards. If you can’t manage a 3.7+ GPA in the program it’s pretty much game over for med school. They are also expensive.

Reactions: 2 users
Post-bacc refers to all courswork AFTER you receive your first bachelors degree. How many years it takes you to get that first degree is irrelevant, and where you take the classes is irrelevant. If you receive a degree after 4 years and stay to take additional classes, it is post-bacc. If you still haven't received your degree after 4 years, it isn't. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
But how many upper level science courses are offered at a CC?

Ah yea I’ve already taken all of the ones that are offered at CC. I had another question: if I had a great upward trend during my last couple quarters (nearing 4.0) should I skip out on a post bacc or SMP? Or would it still be necessary because even if I get all As I would be projected for a 3.2 at most I believe.

Last edited:
Ah yea I’ve already taken all of the ones that are offered at CC. I had another question: if I had a great upward trend during my last couple quarters (nearing 4.0) should I skip out on a post bacc or SMP? Or would it still be necessary because even if I get all As I would be projected for a 2.0 at most I believe.
We need to see year by year sGPAs and cGPAs