Would getting a receptionist/dental assistant job increase my chance of getting into a dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sacbi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am reapllicant and I submitted my application end of June and so far I have received one interview in September.

I was taking a break from my research associate job because I was heard that me staying in the research lab for over two years might seem like I am not so passionate about dentistry.

So I was looking for a new job in dental field. I got an offer from one dental office as a receptionist (70% of the time) and dental assistant. I finished my second day of training.
But I have been wondering if getting this job would really help me get into dental school or not.. I feel like I am not using my full potential or ability as a receptionist..

One of my friends told me new activities won't help much since I submitted my application already but I am not sure if it is true.

I could either go back to my previous research job, work at a biotech company, tutor, or find a completely different thing I would enjoy.

Here is my experience background:
~800 hours shadowing (haven't shadowed for two years tho)
Over two years of research (last two years)
150 hours of volunteering

Although I don't really enjoy this new receptionist/DA job, I would stay at this job if it is going to help me get into a dental school. Can someone give me some advice on what I should do? 😢

Members don't see this ad.

I am reapllicant and I submitted my application end of June and so far I have received one interview in September.

I was taking a break from my research associate job because I was heard that me staying in the research lab for over two years might seem like I am not so passionate about dentistry.

So I was looking for a new job in dental field. I got an offer from one dental office as a receptionist (70% of the time) and dental assistant. I finished my second day of training.
But I have been wondering if getting this job would really help me get into dental school or not.. I feel like I am not using my full potential or ability as a receptionist..

One of my friends told me new activities won't help much since I submitted my application already but I am not sure if it is true.

I could either go back to my previous research job, work at a biotech company, tutor, or find a completely different thing I would enjoy.

Here is my experience background:
~800 hours shadowing (haven't shadowed for two years tho)
Over two years of research (last two years)
150 hours of volunteering

Although I don't really enjoy this new receptionist/DA job, I would stay at this job if it is going to help me get into a dental school. Can someone give me some advice on what I should do? 😢
Look for a job as a dental assistant instead of a receptionist. You aren’t going to dental school to be a receptionist.

Reactions: 1 users
Look for a job as a dental assistant instead of a receptionist. You aren’t going to dental school to be a receptionist.
I found it difficult to find a DA job with no experience and I got rejected after telling them that I am predental and possibly only going to work for only a year..:(

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't tell them you will only work for a year, DA jobs are in huge demand rn. Apply somewhere else.

To answer your question, I think being a DA will absolutely help your app, but not more than a good GPA/DAT

I found it difficult to find a DA job with no experience and I got rejected after telling them that I am predental and possibly only going to work for only a year..:(
In some states it’s harder to become dental assistant than others. Try calling around to different places

Thank you everyone for your advice ! :)

For that matter, the OP is not "going to dental school" to be a dental assistant.

For that matter, the OP is not "going to dental school" to be a dental assistant.
Yes, but OP will learn more about procedures and dental work as an assistant than a receptionist.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, but OP will learn more about procedures and dental work as an assistant than a receptionist.
Yeah.. All you guys’ opinions are valid. I am just stressed that I am making so little money as my current receptionist/ DA job. If me getting a research industry job instead of a DA job won't affect my acceptance, I want to work in the industry so I can save more money and do things I like with my income. But I received mixed opinions from none-pre dental people so I am stressed and confused about what do to!

Yeah.. All you guys’ opinions are valid. I am just stressed that I am making so little money as my current receptionist/ DA job. If me getting a research industry job instead of a DA job won't affect my acceptance, I want to work in the industry so I can save more money and do things I like with my income. But I received mixed opinions from none-pre dental people so I am stressed and confused about what do to!
If you need money go to the job that will make you more.

do not stay working in this job, it will not make/break your application.

Learning “about procedures and dental work” is what dental schools are all about. How many and which ds even recommended getting a da job as a prelude to ds?

Last edited:
Learning “about procedures and dental work” is what dental schools are all about. How many and which ds even recommended getting a da job as a prelude to ds?
OP asked what would help him get into dental school and I’m just giving my advice. Two interviewers from separate schools told me how much they liked that I was a dental assistant because you get hands on experience, and how shadowing only goes so far. Per your comment, I don’t believe any schools require a DA job, but it certainly improves an application. Not sure why you’re beefing.

If you need money go to the job that will make you more.

do not stay working in this job, it will not make/break your application.
I agree with this, but If you have the option to find another job as a DA that offers you comparable salary to the research assistant job, I would take that. Like Periodont said, if you need the money take the job

It might be worth your time to invest in courses designed for predental students to gain firsthand experience with the tools. These programs can be expensive and hard to find especially with covid around. VinmarSolutions is one program that provides a great experience but there are many more.

Goodluck with the interview :)

It might be worth your time to invest in courses designed for predental students to gain firsthand experience with the tools. These programs can be expensive and hard to find especially with covid around. VinmarSolutions is one program that provides a great experience but there are many more.

Thank you! :)

My two cents is that this is not necessary at all.

Doing a one day waxing course will not give you any real advantage over any other dental student but will cost you.

Best case it could provide something to talk about in your interviews. But your experience in a dental office should do that better than a waxing course.

Thank you! :)
OP, you should also look into pre-dental programs, for example some schools have week long “discover dental school programs.” Stony brook has one, and I’m sure other schools do too. Sometimes it can be a gateway to acceptance 😉

OP, you should also look into pre-dental programs, for example some schools have week long “discover dental school programs.” Stony brook has one, and I’m sure other schools do too. Sometimes it can be a gateway to acceptance 😉
Oh! I did not know that! I will definitely take a look at it! Thanks!