Would i be accepted?

Latchy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently been thinking about switching from my Catering course to Applied Science. I have completed Maths & English Level 1-3 and have listed the modules that I would take in my Applied Science course. Would I be accepted in any School of Medicine. I would like to work in the USA (Currently working in the UK) as a MD if this is any help.

Level 2:
1. Scientific Principles
2. Science and the World of Work
3. Chemistry Applications
4. Biological Systems
5. Working with Science
6. Anatomy and Physiology

Level 3:
1. Fundamentals of Science
2. Working in the Science Industry
3. Scientific Investigation
4. Scientific Practical Techniques
5. Perceptions of Science
6. Application of Numbers for Science Technicians
7. Mathematics for Science Technicians
8. Practical Chemical Analysis
9. Physiology of Human Body Systems
10. Chemistry for Biology Technicians
11. Biochemical Techniques

Another 2 question's do Med Student wear Scrubs or Coats?
Once you employed do you have a choice between the two?

Thank You,
Latchy

Members don't see this ad.

What is level 1-3 ? :confused:

Okay, let me preface this by saying that I have absolutely no idea what education in the UK is like, so I don't know what level of education you're talking about. For admission to a U.S. med school, you'll need to take the MCAT and have exceptional grades. I'm assuming you use a different grading scale than the 4.0 scale here, so you'll probably need your school to include your class rank and maybe get a letter from your dean describing your academic abilities (in addition to the required letters of recommendation). I know very, very little about international students getting accepted to med school, but hopefully someone can contribute something more concrete than that.

Members don't see this ad :)
What level of education ar you currently?

A big difference between the US and European med school systems is that US medical schools require an undegrad degree(or at minimum 90 undergrad credits) prior to enrolling.

I'm also confused about the levels two and three. All I can really say with regards to competativness for acceptances is echo Milkman in saying that you require a stellar GPA and MCAT score to be competative for acceptance.

What is MCAT & Stellar GPA?

Level 1 / Grade C
Level 2 / Grade B
Level 3 / Grade A

Is the science side of things OK?

Edit: Found out what MCAT is, just Stellar GPA?

What is MCAT & Stellar GPA?

Level 1 / Grade C
Level 2 / Grade B
Level 3 / Grade A

Is the science side of things OK?

Edit: Found out what MCAT is, just Stellar GPA?

In the US we have a grading system.

This is basically, a "score" that one has to show in many cases the type of student this person is. The GPA (grade point average) shows the grade received from all classes and combined into a range from 0 to 4.0
Obvious 0 meaning complete failure (i dont think anyone has "0") and 4.0 Meaning you have done the best possible at every class you have taken, which means you got A's in every class.

Sorry its a little difficult to explain since GPA is something not often Described as to what it means.

We are unfamiliar with what you mean by "LEVELS" and Grade A, B, C.
If by levels you mean your "YEAR" for example level 3 = 3rd year of undergraduate (there are 4 years typically) ...and you received a grade of A in each class, which would means you have a 4.0 gpa, the highest possible.

While 4.0 is the max, and 3.0 is "average"....the average for med school is probably around 3.5.

I think he's saying that Level 3 is the grade he got which is equivalent to an A here. Assuming all those classes are worth the same amount of credit - a huge assumption - you'd have a 3.64 or so. The average for students matriculating in med school is about 3.65, so you're in decent shape on that front. The average MCAT score is a 31.2, if I recall correctly. You're at a bit of a disadvantage, though, since international students are often expected to exceed schools' norms to gain acceptance. In other words, you'd probably need a 33 or better on the MCAT (top 10% or so) to have a reasonable chance of getting in.

OK thats answerd that question! What about the other questions?

You must have a bachelor degree before entering medical school. Do you hold one ?

U.S Med schools do NOT take school leavers.

Oh, totally forgot those. We don't wear our coats unless we're going to be doing something with patients. I wear scrub pants in anatomy lab, but that's it. As a doctor in a hospital you'll probably wear a coat and scrubs. Otherwise, it's hard to say.

A Bachelor of what subject? I will be a bachelor of science in 1 year.

I'm not a school leaver, I've been out of school 3 years!

Last edited:
A Bachelor of what subject? I will be a bachelor of science in 1 year.

I'm not a school leaver, I've been out of school 3 years!
Your degree can be in any subject, but you must have taken the equivalent of the following classes: biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, genetics, physics and biochemistry. Those classes are pre-requisite requirements to matriculate into most US medical schools.

OK then.

If i went to a School of Medicine here in the UK, could i be a MD in the USA?

Yes, you could. However, you'd have to pass the 3 licensing exams, USMLE Steps 1, 2, and 3, and do a U.S. residency before you could practice.

edit: now that I think about it, I'm not entirely sure how the Step exams work with foreign medical graduates. I know you have to do a U.S. residency and thus have to at least have Step 1 out of the way and probably need Step 2 before starting said residency, but I don't know much about Step 3.

Yes, you could. However, you'd have to pass the 3 licensing exams, USMLE Steps 1, 2, and 3, and do a U.S. residency before you could practice.

edit: now that I think about it, I'm not entirely sure how the Step exams work with foreign medical graduates. I know you have to do a U.S. residency and thus have to at least have Step 1 out of the way and probably need Step 2 before starting said residency, but I don't know much about Step 3.
It depends on the specific residency site.

You have to complete Step 1 and Step 2 CK/CS to be able to start a residency in the United States. Most places will require you to pass Step 3 sometime during internship, though I have heard of instances where an FMG was told to at least take Step 3 ahead of time as well.