Would I be considered non-trad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noin

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
Sorry if the answer to my question seems obvious, but I was wondering if you/dental schools would consider me a non-traditional student.

I don’t fit the mold of traditional non-traditional (military or post-Bach career change), but I will be 31 when I enter dental school if I get in my first cycle. I am also pursuing my first bachelors degree after having an absence from higher education for 8 years, since I left school after my first semester due to a disappointing gpa of 3.0.

I started my own small business right after and did that for about 7 years, but I had to close it at the start of the pandemic. I had free time and enough in savings to last me a year without working, so I decided to finally start pursuing the one thing I’ve always wanted to do, which is dentistry. Now I’m going to juggle my work and undergrad full time.

Do these things make me a non-traditional student, or would I be considered a traditional student since this will be my first bachelors degree and I am not part of the military?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!
Sorry if the answer to my question seems obvious, but I was wondering if you/dental schools would consider me a non-traditional student.

I don’t fit the mold of traditional non-traditional (military or post-Bach career change), but I will be 31 when I enter dental school if I get in my first cycle. I am also pursuing my first bachelors degree after having an absence from higher education for 8 years, since I left school after my first semester due to a disappointing gpa of 3.0.

I started my own small business right after and did that for about 7 years, but I had to close it at the start of the pandemic. I had free time and enough in savings to last me a year without working, so I decided to finally start pursuing the one thing I’ve always wanted to do, which is dentistry. Now I’m going to juggle my work and undergrad full time.

Do these things make me a non-traditional student, or would I be considered a traditional student since this will be my first bachelors degree and I am not part of the military?
I'd consider you non-traditional - you are essentially a career changer, going from being a small business owner to dentistry

Hello!

I’d say you are non traditional but also I don’t think the distinction really matters very much