Would I be kicked out of school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmflower

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel so ashame to ask this in public about this and I know its too late to fix, but i got a charge of misdemeanors, attempt of Theft II, meaning tryig to shoplift over $100-$1000 price range. It happened end of last year and my school doesnt know it yet. I thought Ive been a good person who would never commit to this kind of mistake. It was a huge mistake that ppl will judge about me easily. But Im really not that kind of person and will never make such a mistake like this again. I was so overwhelmed from the school and was going through a divorce and miscarriage.

Anyway since that incident, I have been experiencing extreme stress from worrying. My concern is that my school doesnt know it yet, and next yr I start my last year of school which means they do background check again before our intership ratations.

When school finds out, would i be kicked out of school? Does anybody know any similar story?

Members don't see this ad.

Take this story for what its worth but here goes. I heard a story about a 4th year student who consistently took sips from a narcotic solution and got caught. The school decided to give him/her another chance. His/her license got suspended and the student was put on probation for a year. He/she was able to finish the year out the year after and graduate. However, the student's name was consistently shown on the board of pharmacy mail because the student also needed to apply for instatement to be licensed due to the offense. Stealing narcotics are a federal offense and usually considered a felony and yet this student was able to finish the year out and become licensed.

I think you have a good chance to stay in school. Just keep your head up and make sure the school gives you the chance you deserve and show that you deserve it.

when the board of pharmacy find out, you will have trouble getting/renewing your license

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel so ashame to ask this in public about this and I know its too late to fix, but i got a charge of misdemeanors, attempt of Theft II, meaning tryig to shoplift over $100-$1000 price range. It happened end of last year and my school doesnt know it yet. I thought Ive been a good person who would never commit to this kind of mistake. It was a huge mistake that ppl will judge about me easily. But Im really not that kind of person and will never make such a mistake like this again. I was so overwhelmed from the school and was going through a divorce and miscarriage.

Anyway since that incident, I have been experiencing extreme stress from worrying. My concern is that my school doesnt know it yet, and next yr I start my last year of school which means they do background check again before our intership ratations.

When school finds out, would i be kicked out of school? Does anybody know any similar story?

Attempting to hide the crime will be viewed more harshly than the crime itself. A misdemeanor is usually given a second chance, but adding attempt to hide it, you will be in big trouble with the board.

I suggest that you report it before they find out, and explain the situation and go the extra distance to show that you truly regret it. The board will probably give you a warning and let you off the hook the first offense.

why would the school find out? Do they run regular background checks or something?

Did you get probation? How did the school not know - you must not have missed any school? So many things to consider. First, go to the office of student affairs and report yourself ASAP. Trust me, not knowing and having it hang over your head is much worse than just dealing with it. The relief is practically unimaginable.

It may be worth your time to talk to a lawyer if you have not already. For a first time offender it can actually be quite easy to get these minor things sealed or expunged.

Bottom Line - it is highly unlikely that your professional life is over, but be proactive. Self-report. Consider legal aid also.

And this is way off topic but I just wanted to say - divorce, miscarriage, and this? I hope you have a strong support system in place and are getting any help you need.

In most states, if you are a convicted felon, regardless of what that felony is, you cannot work as a pharmacist. Misdemeanors - it probably depends on what they are.

One of my classmates was arrested for selling marijuana, and while he wasn't outright kicked out, he was told he could not do rotations in our state, which pretty much meant he wouldn't graduate. So, he changed majors. I didn't know him, so I can't comment further.

And I worked with a tech who was pursuing a biology degree and contemplating pharmacy school who was arrested for assaulting a police officer (he was drunk and threw beer on him). The charges were reduced to public intoxication and disorderly conduct, and if he didn't get in trouble in X amount of time, this would be expunged from his record. He was sentenced to a fine and community service, and when the court discovered he worked at a hospital, said he could do his CS at work. :thumbup: The officer was at the sentencing, and told the judge that he felt this was appropriate, since he didn't expect this man to get in trouble again. My co-worker ended up going into another field because he didn't want to spend 4 more years in school.

You should already know if your state runs background checks. Where I live I have to submit fingerprints for a FBI criminal record check that would find all offenses nationally.

Since your offense is only a misdemeanor and is not associated with addiction, I think you just have some s'plainin to do. Come forward voluntarily and apologize to the board if they want to talk to you. If this is first offense, I can't see why they would be too hard on you.