Would I be out of line asking for a raise?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stirling

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im working as a technician for an office. I’ve been working for 6 months. Before I took this job, I got my BS in Biology. I’m applying for optometry school currently.

I make $10/hr. I know it’s very low compared to others with a similar degree, but I think that the scope of my work doesn’t even use my degree. And I think that’s why I’m only making $10/hr.

In the six months’ time I’ve worked, I’ve improved the quality of my scans. When I started, the doctor would sometimes order a rescan of an OCT or a retake of a photo because the quality was too low. Also, I would sometimes fall behind when pre-testing and make the doctor late. Now, I’m sometimes waiting on an open exam room and am rarely behind (usually it’s due to over-booking or longer patient visits when we are behind). I haven’t had a rescan or photo retake ordered in the past several weeks. I’ve also learned how to run the front desk when our receptionist is busy and can manage it on my own. I keep the machines clean and operational to the best of my ability and handle all over-the-phone tech-support.

Given the above, would I be likely to receive a raise if I make my case as stated above?

Members don't see this ad.

If I were your employer, I wouldn't give you a raise. If you were a positive employee, I wouldn't be angered, but I don't think your reasoning of becoming competent after a training period merits a raise. Especially if you were only hired 6 months ago. I would definitely expect some kind of longevity raise after 1 year. You are doing entry level work that has nothing to do with your degree. This is so entry level that most offices only require a highschool diploma. You are over-qualified for the job, and are only working it to advance your prospects of getting into optometry school.

Ohh. Be careful there. I wouldn't ask for a raise unless you had some evidence of further education.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were your employer, I wouldn't give you a raise. If you were a positive employee, I wouldn't be angered, but I don't think your reasoning of becoming competent after a training period merits a raise. Especially if you were only hired 6 months ago. I would definitely expect some kind of longevity raise after 1 year. You are doing entry level work that has nothing to do with your degree. This is so entry level that most offices only require a highschool diploma. You are over-qualified for the job, and are only working it to advance your prospects of getting into optometry school.
Thanks for the insight! While I didn't want to face it, your points rang true. My boss doesn't reward loyalty, only measurable performance increases (specifically with optical sales, but as a tech I don't spend any time there). Basically, I get the vibe that he doesn't give out pay raises just for being there x amount of time.

I was actually laid off and replaced by his kid just a few days ago, before I had the chance to ask for a raise. Luckily, I had already been looking for a new job in case I didn't get the raise. Ended up not needing to ask!

Ohh. Be careful there. I wouldn't ask for a raise unless you had some evidence of further education.
I tried to figure out ways to become more useful, like learning billing (which takes a year or two of schooling/studying) or learning more about the OCT and Daytona machines I used. But he just uses macula and disc scans, and his Daytona pictures are always centered (he does use FAF occcasionally) and couldn't care less about anything else those machines could do.

It didn't really matter. I was laid off so his kid could work in the office.

" I was laid off so his kid could work in the office."

I'm really sorry to hear that. It sounds like you have skills that could be useful in another office. Offices are always on the lookout for people who are smart and trainable (so many aren't - believe me) and so don't give up. In fact, try an MD office also. I know our office would hire you in a New York minute.

I've worked in places where, after TWO YEARS, an optician still didn't understand how to calculate reading glasses when given the ADD power. They should be able to do that by the end of the first week. There are so many new hires that don't work out just because not everyone has the intellectual capacity to either run sensitive equipment or understand optical math (which is really just arithmetic). You now have some valuable skills. Don't forget that.

And, that guy is a JERK for replacing you with his kid.

Reactions: 1 user